Ohio State Football Forum

Ohio State Football Forum

Ohio State football talk.

Urban Meyer

Silver Bullet 10's picture
August 30, 2014 at 2:20pm
85 Comments

Can anyone remember the last time he actually coached a good game?

Hovenaut's picture

Yeah...he was wearing Scarlet and Gray.

+23 HS

It's a serious question. He ended the season abysmally. I think you'd have to go back to the Penn State game last year. The entire 2012 campaign was impressive. Fantastic coaching job. But I can't help but feel he's underachieved lately. 

-10 HS
Hovenaut's picture

Countering the downer.

It's a serious answer. His record speaks for itself, you don't lose a player like Miller...along with other adjustments...and roll on unscathed.

Give it time.

+18 HS

I see your reasoning, but look what Sumlin just did without Johnny Manziel. That said, I think we'll get better as the season progresses. I just feel like we could have played better today.

-10 HS
Hovenaut's picture

It ain't over brother. I have faith UFM and staff get this straightened out.

+6 HS
BuckGuy003's picture

As much as I believe that...we also said that about the defense ALL last year. Time for results

-1 HS
Phoenix824's picture

Sumlin had most of his O-line back

+4 HS
TheBadOwl's picture

Sumlin knew he was replacing Johnny way back in December. Urban found out he was replacing Braxton 12 days ago. Chill.

When I walked in this morning and saw the flag was at half mast I thought, "Alright, another bureaucrat ate it." but then I saw it was Li'l Sebastian. Half mast is too high. Show some damn respect.

+12 HS
dubjayfootball90's picture

Correct me if I am wrong, but I do not believe the Aggies are experiencing the same shift in the O-line that the Buckeyes have faced as well. Using texas a&m as a comparison just does not seem plausible here.

You can feed a bobcat all the chili it wants. That don't mean it's going to crap out diamonds.

+1 HS
JohnnyKozmo's picture

They aren't, in fact they have another OT in the top 5 draft prospects overall for this years draft.  That's 3 years in a row isn't it?

+1 HS
808buckeye's picture
+9 HS
BuckeyeVet's picture

@Hovenaut - Troll alert. This guy was also "RichinRichmond" who was trolling with the forum topic about B. Miller's Heisman chances this year. Check it out.

"Outside of a dog, a book is a man's best friend. Inside of a dog it's too dark to read."          - Groucho Marx

This may have been a poor post (I stand by my opinion, but the delivery could have been better), but I assure you I am no troll.

luckynutz's picture

Umm...not sure if serious? Slow ths roll here kids...

+2 HS
Dmac3212's picture

I agree he really is a little overrated from a pure coaching stand point. I love the guy and want him as the bucks coach, but mostly for recruiting reasons. 

-10 HS

There are times where he has been spectacular. But he hasn't coached like a Top 25 coach lately. I love him and everything. I consider myself a tad homerish, but I just haven't been impressed with him lately.

-10 HS
Dmac3212's picture

That is what I mean....just pissed with him right now. Been a long 3 games!

-6 HS
robobuck's picture

Our national championship year was a long 14 games.

Do you not know that in a race all the runners run, but only one receives the prize? So run that you may obtain it.  1 Corinthians 9:24

+1 HS
808buckeye's picture

Stop being such negative nelly and try being a positive pete.  See how that works out for you

seize the carpe

+5 HS
lsjSnail's picture

Why in the world can you not downvote more than 10 times?

+1 HS
rosycheeks's picture

Good Navy team. Freshman QB in his first collegiate game. Chill out, people. Yeah, Ohio State might lose this game.

+4 HS

Sumlin torched a top ten team with a freshman quarterback. This is inexcusable.

-10 HS
gosolow2000's picture

Inexcusable, no. Like it was stated above you have a freshman quarterback in his first game, not just his first start but his first game, with 4 new OL. They ironed out some issues at halftime and looked better in the 2nd half. I think they will improve as a team as the season progresses but we shall wait and see. Then we can decide what kind of coaching job UFM has done this season.

+3 HS
hodge's picture

Haha I'll believe USC is a too ten team at the end of the season. Preseason polls are grossly misleading. 

+10 HS
Woodshed's picture

I wish I could upvote you 100 times. USCe a top 10 team.................. LOL

They have a HS secondary.

+3 HS
dubjayfootball90's picture

HODGE!!! THE VOICE OF REASON SPEAKS!!! Read my mind to a 't'. Thank you for being so freaking level-headed with people screaming the sky is falling (to a certain extent)

You can feed a bobcat all the chili it wants. That don't mean it's going to crap out diamonds.

Smanpoint10's picture

Sumlin has made every qb he has ever coached into a great college player because of his system. Did you even watch A&M's defense last year. It was worse than ours!

+1 HS
nikolajz1's picture

Urban's strength is recruiting, similar to Saban. Our assistants need to step up the play calls. 

+10 HS
Dmac3212's picture

Saban coaches them up

-8 HS
11UrbzAndSpices's picture

You realize that Urban doesn't call the plays on offense OR defense right? He makes suggestions, but Herman calls the plays.

We're no longer in the era of Tressel being a control freak with no help from his assistants.

Does anyone know if BucksFan changed his icon?

-2 HS
CC's picture

The control freak won a national championship and went to something like 8 BCS bowls.

Mortc15's picture

And Meyer already has 2 national titles on his resume. Not here, but still his.

Buck-I4Life

rosycheeks's picture

Name a coach you'd rather have than Urban, other than Saban. And I'll say other than Dantonio. And if you can't think of any, perhaps the threshold for criticism is a little too low.

+4 HS
AndyVance's picture
+4 HS
rosycheeks's picture

Not for me, but others probably would.

Going outside college, I'd take Jim Harbaugh. (PLEASE, MICHIGAN, KEEP HOKE. HE'S DOING GREAT!)

+3 HS
AndyVance's picture

I just wanted to lighten the mood a bit :)

+3 HS
Hovenaut's picture

You're pretty good at that AV.

Swear to the higher power...I'm providing you a beverage before it's all said and done.

+1 HS
AndyVance's picture

I'm in for that :)

Today felt like the good ol' days... You remember, when every Saturday threatened a coronary, but we won championships with refreshing regularity? It's all good.

+3 HS
Murph32's picture

With Urban I feel like our team can compete year in and year out. Might take some heat for this but we've lost more championships with Tressel than we won. Don't get me wrong I liked him but I don't miss "Tressel ball" at all.

+2 HS
BuckeyeVet's picture

I'll second that, Andy.

"Outside of a dog, a book is a man's best friend. Inside of a dog it's too dark to read."          - Groucho Marx

cajunbuckeye's picture

Maybe we could talk about this over a beer.....

An angry fan...rooting for an angry team...led by angry coaches

+13 HS
sharks's picture

Whaddaya got ya period?

The postgame show is brought to you by... Christ, I can't find it. The hell with it...

+4 HS
Killer nuts's picture

Maybe we could talk about this over a beer..... some cranberry juice

+1 HS
Rob Reese's picture

Nominee for most appropriate timing of any gif I've seen.  +1

"All I have known at Michigan is failure.  That's all I know." - Taylor Lewan

+1 HS
Jdadams01's picture

What did everyone expect? Freshman QB with new OL against a veteran team with a unique system.

+7 HS
VarsityClubMD's picture

Just a point of clarity on this "freshman QB" talk. First, he's a Redshirt Freshman. Second, he came in early, ie Spring 2013. So, he's been here for two Spring practice cycles and two Fall camps. It's not like he just showed up 4 weeks ago. Having taken the majority of reps with the 1's both this Spring and Summer, a certain heightened expectation could be warranted. My gripe is not so much with JT or the other Offensive personnel but with the play calling. It is almost stiflingly horizontal at times.

Dot this

+1 HS
BuckSince79's picture

Keep in mind when Braxton was unavailable to practice, JT was splitting reps with Cardale who was labeled Braxton's #2 (July 28th) just a short time ago.  So the game plan had to be tweaked to accommodate JT.  I do agree with the play calling.  I feel Herman tries to be too cute at times.  The 4th and 1 or maybe it was 3rd and 1 when we called the read option which failed miserable by the goal line was a prime example.  I know the center of the line is young, but Elliot up the middle or even a QB sneak is what I was yelling for.

VarsityClubMD's picture

Yeah that QB read option worked as well as it did when they called it for Greg Frey.

Dot this

lljjgg's picture

Any chance we could fire you as a forum poster?

I kid, I kid. Guy's gone 24-2 at OSU, give him the benefit of the doubt my fellow Buckamaniac!

+11 HS
AZbucks77's picture

Just an opinion, but this is just a bad fist game to have scheduled.  On the road none the less.  

+5 HS
Woodshed's picture

I want to play a triple-option team, first game of the year, on the road!

Said no one, EVER.

+6 HS
Qujo's picture

+1 - on the road against a triple option team is a challenge even for Navy's conference foes who prepare for them every year. with 9 new offense starters that took 30 minutes and a few adjustments before scoring  21 in the second half (7 we for d fumble for TD) I believe the glass is half full. 

"Tough times don't last, tough people do" - Gregory Peck

Rob Reese's picture

Aaaand here comes sky-is-falling vocal minority, right on queue.

"All I have known at Michigan is failure.  That's all I know." - Taylor Lewan

+9 HS
HolyBuckeyeOSU's picture

I will say this has been one of Urban's worst coaching games, however, he is still a top 5 coach. I think the real issue is he was not able to get these top assistants like he had at Florida.

What we are seeng today is really a blueprint for other teams facing Ohio State on what to run. No idea why this team does not understand the concept of tackling. Why are we trying to hit stick everyone? If they play well sound, fundemental football on the defensive side of things this game may be a different story.

Barrett has show the kid can throw, so why are we coddling him? Let him learn from mistakes (misreads, INT's) we cannot simply baby him through the entire season. 

Lastly, Less Rod Smith, more Jalin Marshall. 

Go Buckeyes! 

-10 HS
ralEbuckI's picture

Dumb.  A blueprint for other teams on what to run?  Yes, I'm sure all the teams will completely change everything they are doing and flow to a very specific, and very disciplined offensive game schematic.  You hear that fellows, everyone is switching to the triple option.  Forget about personnel and everything else, they've got a blueprint to win.  Might as well write the season off now.

+3 HS
HolyBuckeyeOSU's picture

You mad? Why are you so mad bro? Personal attacks is the way you handle discussions? Put your big boy pants on. I never said teams will instill the triple option but you are blind if you don't think teams will implement some run option plays. We simply cannot stop the run, unless this team learns to be more disciplined at tackling we will see a lot of 10 yard runs, down our throats. 

Second, I never said write the season off. We still won the game. 

Continue on, cry away. Respond when you are ready to act like a grown up and have a real discussion. Or did you write the rules around here? 

Go Buckeyes! 

-10 HS
whiskeyjuice's picture

I'm happy with the win and the use of personnel.

"Championships are not won on Saturdays in November. Championships are won on Tuesdays in August." -- Kerry Combs

BlockO's picture

One freaking game! You are saying that this is Urban's worst coaching job after one fucking game? You need to go be a Michigan fan. We don't need this overblown negativity. What will you say if we win it all this year?

"faith seeking understanding” (fides quaerens intellectum)

+2 HS

I think we'll be okay. Look at MSU last year. Slow start but great finish.

-10 HS
Groveport Heisman's picture

Meyer just beat a way tougher Navyteam on the  road then Jim faced in the shoe and it came down to a INT 2-point conversion. Lets get off the ledge folks,we had some bad breaks early and a QB taking his first live college snap. That is a Navy team that might not lose another game.

Mark my words..I don't need acceptance. I'm catching interceptions on you innocent pedestrians.

+9 HS
TheBadOwl's picture

That is a Navy team that might not lose another game.

Agreed on this 100%. They have some incredible athletes, they're well-conditioned and extremely disciplined. I'd be mildly surprised if they lose another game this year. A 11-1 Navy squad with a loss to Ohio State could end up in a BCS Bowl, and after today, I'd say they're athletic enough to justify that.

When I walked in this morning and saw the flag was at half mast I thought, "Alright, another bureaucrat ate it." but then I saw it was Li'l Sebastian. Half mast is too high. Show some damn respect.

+3 HS
CC's picture

Did you forget the sarcasm font?

teddyballgame's picture

Please don't feed the troll

+2 HS
jamesrbrown322's picture

I think some of his coordinators' playcalling is questionable, but I don't know that I'd put all of the deficiencies squarely on him and say he hasn't coached well...that's pretty ridiculous.

"I can accept failure, but I cannot accept not trying." - W.W. Hayes

+3 HS
tussey's picture

Is this thread really happening?

+12 HS
buckguyfan1's picture

Some can't help themselves.

+1 HS
DEF D's picture

25 regular season wins in a row. Get some

+5 HS
mh277907's picture

I vote for you to lose the ability to make forum topics.

buckeyebobcat

+6 HS
OSU069's picture

There should be a temporary reinstatement of thread down voting. 

+3 HS
hodge's picture

There's no question Meyer and Herman we're pretty one-dimensional at the end of last year. But can you really blame them? They had Braxton Miller, Carlos Hyde, and the equivalent of a team of bulldozers on the o-line. He also had an injured Jalin Marshall and an inexperienced Wilson, which severely limited the game breaking potential of the receiving corps. 

Furthermore, he was dealing with an abysmal defense post-Bryant, and had to break in a new defense against a scheme that, if run correctly, can literally make the defense wrong every single play. Not to mention the fact that Meyer lost his starting quarterback two weeks before the season started—requiring an entire philosophical shift of how the offense would operate. 

I'm all for holding our coach accountable for his faults (I'll be the first to abhor our utter reliance on the run game last year); but the idea that Meyer hasn't coached a good game in a long while is simply laughable. 

+8 HS
DukeofWeimar's picture

and I thought only Bucknuts had posters with this mentality

+6 HS
wojodta's picture

It was the first game of the year with alot of new players. Chill.

+2 HS
sivaDavis's picture

"I've had smarter people around me all my life, but I haven't run into one yet that can outwork me. And if they can't outwork you, then smarts aren't going to do them much good." - Woody Hayes

+5 HS

I felt like it was a fair topic. Sometimes I am a homer, and sometimes I call it like I see it. I'm optimistic about this team, but in each of the Michigan, Michigan State, Clemson, and Navy games, Urban Meyer was largely unimpressive to me. He is however darn good with halftime adjustments.

-9 HS
GVerrilli92's picture

No, you're just spoiled.

Did you think that Tressel was a bad coach after the 09 Navy game?

What about Gary Anderson last night? Benched a one-year starter and All B1G mention at QB and replaced him with a guy throwing moon balls, and then only gave Gordon 2 carries. Wisconsin could have executed that 2nd half scheme as well as possible and they still wouldn't have won. That's bad coaching.

Instead of saying "I was unimpressed," why don't you like... actually list some reasoning.

How many cheeseburgers are you gunna drive into that dirty old cheeseburger locker Brady Hoke?

+2 HS
droessl's picture

I'm disappointed at NO ONE mentioning #FireFickell after the dumpster fire of an OP. 

chicagobuckeye's picture

And this, ladies and gentlemen why drinking, a close game, and posting should not mix

+1 HS
robobuck's picture

Why is everyone so high on Sumlin? What has the guy won? He's never even been to his conference's championship game. Urban has 2 rings. I'd drop the mic but I'm on the pot and I don't want to get it wet.

Do you not know that in a race all the runners run, but only one receives the prize? So run that you may obtain it.  1 Corinthians 9:24

+4 HS
NashBuckeye's picture

No one is perfect, but I would honestly not trade Urban for any Coach in Football.  The guy is from Ohio and gets how special this place is. Not to mention he has 2 NCs at Florida, a perfect season at both Utah & OSU, and kicked butt at BG.  I just hope he stays here 15 years. If he does, we will get at least one NC and maybe multiple NCs.  Starting this year, it is a much harder road to win an NC than it used to be. Most likely, you have to beat scUM, win the B1G Championship, then win 2 Playoff games to get an NC at OSU now.

+1 HS