Ohio State Football Forum

Ohio State Football Forum

Ohio State football talk.

Buckeyes odds to win National Championship

BassDropper's picture
August 27, 2014 at 3:22pm
22 Comments

Vegas still thinks highly of the Buckeyes.

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/BwEHpX8IEAIzJxS.png:large

Hoody Wayes's picture

Was 40 or 50-1, when "Broken Brax" news broke. Guess V$ got scared.

+1 HS
BassDropper's picture

Yep, it was 50/1 as of last week. Michigan currently has 50/1 odds.

DIRECTIONER

OSU_1992_UFM's picture

I just find it funny that Alabama gets the benefit of the doubt. 5-1? Seriously? Fairly certain they don't know who the starting QB is...but little Nicky Satan is a god among men right?

UFM_Renewal

+2 HS
nikolajz1's picture

Alabama is stacked at every position. No need to be disrespectful of an incredibly successful program. 

+2 HS
OSU_1992_UFM's picture

Not being disrespectful. Indeed they are very, very successful but...

OSU-2 game losing streak, starting QB out, rebuilding D

Bama-2 game losing streak, uncertainty at QB, rebuilding D (Mosely, Clinton-Dix, Sunseri)

So why are they 5-1?

UFM_Renewal

+2 HS
Fatpants's picture

2009, 2011, 2012

+6 HS
Squirrel Master's picture

yeah because players who played in those championships are not on the team anymore, so that's relevant!

Urban Meyer, 2006 and 2008.

I saw a UFO once.......it told me to have a goodyear!

-2 HS
OSU_1992_UFM's picture

Forgot to mention that they lost their OC too....sooo I'm sure Lane Kiffin can bring them back to power...hes a really good offensive mind

The most offensive thing about Lane is that he looks like a fatter Daniel Tosh

UFM_Renewal

-1 HS
InTressITrust's picture

The odds are also based to get people to bet while still making a profit.  Vegas probably has a lot of people betting on Alabama because they are the one team that has truly been in the NC hunt the past 5 years.  A lot of people who know nothing are probably putting a little money on them to win just to try and make a few bucks because of their history.

"I'm not going to lie. We're anxious to be a part of a matchup like that. It's two states that love the game of football." -Jim Tressel

+2 HS
clogan1032's picture

This, people need to understand how odds work with Vegas. 

+1 HS
awlinBrutus's picture

bngo

MICHIGAN STILL SUCKS

Rob Reese's picture

The odds are also based to get people to bet while still making a profit.

True.

It's always stunning the amount of people who believe Vegas just publishes what they "believe" to be the true odds of team (blank) winning.  Even more weight on "the odds" and spreads, is the perception of "how many bettors" on a single play for a particular team.  Ohio State for instance, with it's enormous fan base, will have far more bettors any given Saturday than say, Cortland State Red Dragons.

tOSU class of 2009, College of Arts and Sciences

USArmyBuckeye's picture

Just playing the Devil's advocate here, but I would assume the fact that the D they are rebuilding wasn't atrocious last season has something to do with it as well.

awlinBrutus's picture

It could be they think a lot of Bama's #1 recruiting classes the last 5 years. Bama is better than USC was under Carrol right now. imo

MICHIGAN STILL SUCKS

WhySoSerious's picture

Are we favored to win the Big10 championship now without Braxton? Could you bet on winning that alone?

Rare&Uncommon

Like the ball in the stands, we balls out

-1 HS
Rob Reese's picture

Could you bet on winning that alone?

You absolutely could bet on that alone. 

tOSU class of 2009, College of Arts and Sciences

WhySoSerious's picture

Thanks?

Rare&Uncommon

Like the ball in the stands, we balls out

-1 HS
Grande Gustavo's picture

Well you asked...

The answer may not be at the bottom of a bottle, but it never hurts to check. 

+1 HS
RunningFree's picture

Never tell me the odds.

+6 HS
TURD_BUCKET's picture

I think there are about 10 or 12 teams that could win the NC this year. OSU has as good of a chance as any of them!

“Being average means you are as close to the bottom as you are to the top.” John Wooden

-1 HS
whiskeyjuice's picture

I want to see the team bond and grow together through out the season so they can peak during the tournament.

"Championships are not won on Saturdays in November. Championships are won on Tuesdays in August." -- Kerry Combs