Ohio State Football Forum

Ohio State Football Forum

Ohio State football talk.

The Opportunity to Change the National Narrative

ShawneeBuck74's picture
August 27, 2014 at 2:59pm
6 Comments

We all know how tOSU and the BIG have suffered in perception since we lost back to back NC's.  The only thing that could have changed that prior to now would have been a National Championship - anything less - betting SEC Arkansas OR PAC 12 darling Oregon simply wasn't good enough. Winning 24 straight wasn't good enough.  

Because the BIG is weaker and tOSU has the most talent year in and year out -- we must go in defeated and win the NC or nothing changes.

With Braxton out, though, people are writing us off.  IF we win 10, 11, or all our games with a frosh backup QB and a creative offense & improved defense, the national narrative will begin to change. Why? We're now underdogs, not king of the hill.  It would be a redemption story narrative and people love redemption narratives (See Penn State's 8-4 season under Bill O'Brien--which changed the national narrative e about PSU in the media).

So--embrace the doubt. With each win, watch people like Mark May start to give us props -- our coaching props, more players with props.  We will be a redemption story of sorts.  We have to win double digits at least, I think, for this to happen or 9 wins with a best down of MSU and Michigan.

Here's to national narrative redemption. 

tennbuckeye19's picture

Sorry, it's a nice thought, but I disagree.

I believe because of who Ohio State is, the name, the tradition, and the national exposure they receive every year, nothing much will change. If OSU wins, they will say it's because of a weak schedule in a weak conference. If OSU goes to the Playoff, they will say that it isn't deserved. And if OSU wins the championship, they will say it was luck or that the other team didn't play Stanford football, or something stupid like that. 

+7 HS
TheShookster's picture

This is probably the truest thing I have ever heard.

On ESPN they said "If Ohio State wins the Big Ten with their backup QB, what does that say about the conference?" It's always going to be a you're damned if you do, damned if you don't thing. We just can't let the narrative ruin college football for us.

+2 HS
Hoody Wayes's picture

Frankly, I'm more optimistic about Ohio State's chances, now. The team - not just the offense - was hyper-Braxton-centric. And with Braxton Miller at QB, the ever-present threat was his next injury and that blunted the impact of his play-making. In fact it may have made him a bit tentative, at times (see 2013 B1G CG, especially).

This seems like more of a team, to me. There's democracy on offense, where there's tons of new football dudes with talent that might, actually, get chances to shine (à la the days [minutes] of Guiton). The defense gets a healthy dose of pressure, as I'm sure the coaches have made it clear to those guys, the onus of leadership is on their shoulders. 

Be realistic. But, be enthusiastic.

Go Bucks!

+3 HS
simpson203's picture

^This 100%.   Yes, Braxton is amazing with the ball, but he's one guy.  Every time Braxton does Braxton, it means another play-maker isn't getting the ball.  I have the feeling that changes with JT running the offense, meaning defenses won't be able to key as much on the QB.  JT can still run (at least in his highlights) but will spread the wealth.

+5 HS
RunningFree's picture

I also thinks this makes J.T. more dangerous.  Other teams were expecting Braxton to keep the ball because he made the big plays.  You contained Braxton, you often contained Ohio State.  But like you said, defenses won't be keying in on the QB because of the wealth of playmakers.  This will open up some running lanes for J.T. (or Cardale) that may not have been there for Braxton.  We may not have any 50+ yard, video game-style runs, but I wouldn't be surprised to see J.T. getting some solid moderate length runs to keep moving the chains.  Then save the explosive runs for the playmakers after he distributes the ball to them.

+2 HS
Hovenaut's picture

"Well, I guess there's only one thing left to do..."

"Success...it's what you do with what you got" - Woody Hayes

+3 HS