Ohio State Football Forum

Ohio State Football Forum

Ohio State football talk.

Not trying to be over confident... But why are we panicked about Navy?

Buckeye_in_SEC_country's picture
August 26, 2014 at 11:02am
31 Comments

Unfortunately... I am a graduate of MTSU.  I looked at the stats from last year's bowl game with MTSU and Navy.  Reynolds only threw the ball 7 times and had 3 completions.  MTSU held him to 86 yards rushing (they did let him score twice tho).  Navy gave up 218 yards through the air to MTSU!!!  If Barrett can't throw the ball against them then I definitely will be worried.  Navy is going to run the ball and we are a great run defense.  Our defensive line is going to be deep and the best in the country. I know it's a completely different style of offense that we don't normally see, but we should be a lot better all the way around than last year. With all of this said:

Do I have a small amount of anxiety?  Yes.

Do I think Keenan Reynolds is that good?  No.

Should we beat them by at least 2 TDs?  Yes.

My question is... Why does everyone else kind of seem to be over anxious and worried?  WE ARE THE OHIO STATE UNIVERSITY!  If we want to compete with teams like FSU, Bama, LSU, Oregon, and Oklahoma we have to dominate teams like Navy.  Just my 2 cents... But what do I know?

ITWASME's picture

First game jitters with a LOT of new personnel

+4 HS
InTressITrust's picture

This is why I am nervous.  Without playing an option offense on a weekly basis, they are very tough to defend against. 

http://scores.espn.go.com/ncf/boxscore?gameId=292480194

"I'm not going to lie. We're anxious to be a part of a matchup like that. It's two states that love the game of football." -Jim Tressel

+6 HS
Buckeye_in_SEC_country's picture

That was 5 years ago against a less aggressive defense and fewer pure athletes on the field.  Plus, our offense should become much more explosive this year than it was during the Jim Tressel era.  

+1 HS
allinosu's picture

Do you still live in the area?

Jack Fu's picture

That "less aggressive defense" would mop the floor with OSU's defenses of the last three years.

Playing flexbone triple-option teams is high variance. You never know what's gonna happen, and our defense has been thoroughly average for years now.

+3 HS
Squirrel Master's picture

I wouldn't call that defense less aggressive, and especially before we see what Ash has installed. That was a Heacock defense.

The talent, Brian Rolle was about as solid as Curtis Grant. Thad Gibson was awesome, Cam Hayward. Kurt Coleman and Jermale Hines were power hitters on that defense. And I would consider John Simon, Ettiene Sabino and Nate Williams pretty talented.

That team beat Oregon in the Rose bowl that year. I hope this years team can be better than that because they didn't suck!

I saw a UFO once.......it told me to have a goodyear!

+1 HS
THE's picture

I was at that game and from what I remeber, we were in pretty decent control of the game...then in true TresselBall fashion, we took our foot off the gas and let them creep back into it. 

That was half a decade ago and all the players, coaching staff and many philosophies on our end have changed. Usually the big boys don't have too much of an issue playing these types of teams because their linemen are smaller than half our running backs. It would be more of a concern if they were in the middle of the schedule. But being week 1, I think our D will be prepared and disciplined. Also, once our offense gets the first game jitters out, I think we roll the Middies. 

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

+1 HS
hodge's picture

"Usually the big boys don't have too much of an issue playing these types of teams because their linemen are smaller than half our running backs."

O hai, cutblocks.

Hear that?  That's your ACL tearing.
+1 HS
IBLEEDSCARLETANDGRAY's picture

I want to think the same way as you but maybe I'm just too superstitious. It seems when I get too overconfident about anything, especially the Bucks, things go to hell in a handbasket. I try to remain grounded. I also refuse to think this is going to be a repeat of 2011 and I think once the nerves calm down Saturday we're going to take a sledgehammer to them just because they have nobody on the physical level of a Joey Bosa or Taylor Decker. My only real worry are those Navy cutblocks injuring one of our DLs. That gives me more worry than anything else.

"Sherman ran an option play right through the south" - Greatest Civil War analogy EVER.

dmurder's picture

1.) First Game for most of our O-line and we are starting a qb who has never played a college football game ever on the road.

2.) I was at the the last navy game in the student section when Brian Rolle saved the day running all the way back to me!

3.) New Secondary and Scheme

and lastly i get nervous every time my team plays!

However, i expect my team to win everytime they take the field!

"We have always had the best damn band in the land, now we have the best damn team in the land"- Jim Tressel 1-03-03

+2 HS
RoyWalley's picture

Navy like when they play ND, will play it's best game.

+1 HS
jeremytwoface's picture

Who said we were panicked? 

The first man gets the ((((Oyster)))), the second man gets the shell.

+3 HS
Groveport Heisman's picture

Navy did have ND beat and ND had two first round DLmen and future NFLers spread across their D. We will have to air it out over their heads and if we cant then it will be a very tight game.

Mark my words..I don't need acceptance. I'm catching interceptions on you innocent pedestrians.

+2 HS
CC's picture

Navy beat ND 3 of the last 7 times they played.  That's reason enough.

+1 HS
RunEddieRun1983's picture

First game of the year has a lot to do with it, no Braxton has a lot to do with it, personally though I'm on the same page as OP. Given the disparity in talent from us to them, even without Braxton we should win easily by two scores.

I don't always downvote, but I do always downvote a Michigan fan trolling the Buckeye boards.

d1145fresh's picture

I am not overconfident... although i think we win this game comfortably. But I think the worry comes from the uncertainty. We know we have the talent but a lot of it is unproven so far. I think it will pan out nicely this season but you never know.

+1 HS
apack614's picture

A lot of anxiety over the new personnel and new faces on almost the entire offense. I think we will handle them accordingly BUT I am not over confident about it because it seems everytime I get overconfident (MSU- Last year, Florida- 2006) I get a little embarrased

"If we worked half as hard as our band, we'd be champions." - Woody Hayes

+1 HS
buckeyewiseman's picture

For me, it's simply scheme based. Team like the Academies run this Option scheme because they know they don't have the talent of major schools and never will, so they have to run something that gives them a schematic advantage. With only a handful of teams running the Option, it does that. When you aren't used to seeing something, it can take a great deal of time to get used to it. As a HS coach myself, it takes your kids playing EXTREMELY disciplined football. They option relies on defensive players not being able to do their job every play.  If the Bucks can do their assignment every time, they will be fine. If they can't, it will be much closer than any of us wants. The good part is, the Bucks have had weeks to prepare for it and hone their assignments, rather than only a weeks time if this game was in the middle of the season. 

+2 HS
HotSauceCommittee's picture

I am more nervous about how we play than doubting the outcome.

I do not want to see the O-line getting little push, I dont want to see our new tailbacks hitting the wrong holes, I dont want to see a jittery young QB, I dont want to see our playmaking talents underutilized, I dont want to see poor tackling and I dont want to see our Dline disappoint.

Playing Navy should feel as if we are dominating them and blowing them out, even though they scoreboard might only show we are up two scores. This is due to their offensive style of play. If it feels like a close game or is a close game we obviously underperformed.

bucks4nuts's picture

Just because 

"To The House"

teddyballgame's picture

We're not going to get much credit no matter how convincingly we may beat them.  All we can do is screw up and look bad by playing too close. 

Not to mention we're putting our players at higher risk for injury due to their weird blocking scheme.  Playing them doesn't help prepare OSU for any other opponent on our schedule either. 

+1 HS
Jabba1977's picture

I am extremely worried about the cutblocks as well!!In the end we should win the game and win it comfortably!!

SECHATER77

CC's picture

I totally agree, anyone who has played against a tripple option team as a DE or LB knows that at the end of the game there will be some sore knees and thighs.  The crackback and cut blocks are endless and demoralizing.  I just hope we get out with a win and no injuries.

mb5599's picture

Only thing I am worried about are possbile injuries.  With the cutblocking scheme along the line, I am afraid we will see an injury.  Hopefully we score early and often and can get backups significant playing time.  We need to be at 100% for Va Tech.

Big B

rkylet83's picture

I'm a bit worried, because we're really young and Navy is a good football team.  As much as people love to scoff at our schedule, out out of conference opponent records from last season are 9-4, 8-5, 4-8, and 9-4.  Only one bad team in the mix.  We should win the games purely from a talent standpoint, but they certainly won't make it easy.    

+1 HS
JKH1232's picture

Panicked would be a strong way of putting it, but I'm concerned and interested about the game.  Do I think we're going to lose?  Not really.  Do I think we can lose?  Absolutely.  If you think this is an auto-win by three scores, and we'll have the backups in by the third quarter, A) Prepare for disappointment, and B) watch more football. 

Navy punches above its weight class, and consistently.  They usually have one blowout loss, (Sometimes rather incomprehensible ones) but most of their losses are close.  They consistently beat the middle ranks of the Big5- Indiana lost at home to them last year.  Notre Dame has a hard time beating them.  Part of this is that Navy runs an excellent scheme that minimizes their pretty severe weaknesses (Players have to make weight, survive Navy's academics, and get admitted in the first place) and maximizes their strengths.  They also don't give up easily.  They aren't going to walk into the game on Saturday thinking they can't win.  And they won't think it when they're down a couple of scores, either- they've come back quite a bit, and if they can just get it to overtime, they're pretty sure they'll win.  Some teams, you roll out the silver helmets, say a little O-H, and it's over.  This generally isn't true for Navy.

If you don't think Keenan Reynolds isn't that good, you simply are not paying attention.  He is.  You talk about the bowl game (Which Navy was never in danger of losing) and mention he didn't have a good game.  Which is fine, Navy still scored 24 points and ran for 366 yards.  In fact, Reynolds ran for more yards than Braxton Miller did last year.  Scored more total touchdowns, too. Miller passed better, but also had much better receivers.  He's also a tremendous leader- he's led several comebacks, overtime wins, big wins, bowl wins, and has been doing it since his Freshman year.  I wouldn't take him over Miller, but he's very, very good, and in an offense that he knows how to run well.  He'd start for more than half the teams in FBS. 

TL;DR: Navy's real. Reynolds is real.  Don't worry, but don't be shocked if we're still playing football with five minutes to go. 

+1 HS
Mean Mr Mustard's picture

Our team plays the option and the triple option is a bread and butter play in our playbook.  Navy plays out of the Flexbone formation.  This is what is difficult.  The fact that our team is option based means they can put together a really good Flexbone scout team.

Groveport Heisman's picture

You cant duplicate those cut and crack back blocks in practice without risking a huge amount of injuries. My hope is that our dline doesnt get timid and scared of a season ending injury and play hesitant. If we have a fire lit under our asses we should get them off schedule early and be able to dominate the game. Thing is Navy seems to play the bigger name teams on their schedule even harder.

Mark my words..I don't need acceptance. I'm catching interceptions on you innocent pedestrians.

mh277907's picture

I would be less worried if we were playing Canada's navy. 

buckeyebobcat

buckeyestu's picture

This will not be easy,  I doubt our buckeyes cover the spread.

FUqUespin's picture

In retrospect - Navy will give any team all it can handle this year...

+1 HS