Ohio State Football Forum

Ohio State Football Forum

Ohio State football talk.

Marcus Mariota? What a joke.

Silver Bullet 10's picture
August 18, 2014 at 2:36am
106 Comments

-16 rushing yards against Stanford. Fumbling and interception machine. Couldn't complete a pass until the game was practically over. He can't deliver on the big stage. Braxton on the other hand had 142 rushing yards and two rushing touchdowns against the best defense in America. Had a better passing game than Mariota too, although less yards. Unlike Mariota, Braxton can't be shut down. Not only that, but Braxton is tougher and a better leader. Put Braxton on Oregon and they win the Natty last year.

I realize Braxton has some work in his passing game, but there's no doubt in my mind that he's the better football player. I think we'll see a Heisman this year. 

Show All Comments

FROMTHE18's picture

Mariota is a damn good QB. The argument between he or Braxton is a push, but Mariota is a legit heisman candidate and would be scary to play against. 

+30 HS
bafiesta's picture

The argument is not a push.  Mariotta is a much better passer and Braxton is a slightly better runner.  If both would have entered the NFL draft last year, Mariotta would have been a top 5 pick, Braxton would have been a round 5 pick.  Braxton has huge upside he hasn't realized yet as a passer.  Here's hoping that he does in 2014!  

Winner Eleven Warriors 2014 Yahoo Sports College Bowl Pick'em

+11 HS
osu407's picture

Knee injuries do limit rushing.

Mariota's game is fun to watch. I would love to play Oregon and watch him and Miller play head to head, but I guess a mutual opponent in MSU will likely have to be enough.

+8 HS
Buckeyevstheworld's picture

If this were Gardner, i'd agree. Mariota on the other hand is actually a really good QB.

interception machine.

He threw 6 INTs in 2012, and 4 in 2013. That's not an interception machine.

"YOLO" = I'm about to do something extremely ignorant/stupid & I need an excuse to do it.

+32 HS
HilltopHustle's picture

This thread is stupid in general. Thanks for shutting him down.

+7 HS
Silver Bullet 10's picture

I was actually referring to the Stanford game itself, but upon further review Marcus threw 0 interceptions that game. 

-8 HS
whiskeyjuice's picture

I wouldn't go as far as to say Mariota is a joke. But I haven't really watched him play either. I have only seen highlights and stats of his good games. 

"Championships are not won on Saturdays in November. Championships are won on Tuesdays in August." -- Kerry Combs

+1 HS
cdub4's picture

Your premise is a joke. Mariota is a solid qb. Miller is good also but he is not winning a Heisman after an off season in which he has barely been throwing.

+2 HS
Buckeyevstheworld's picture

He's been limited, but he hasn't barely been throwing.

"YOLO" = I'm about to do something extremely ignorant/stupid & I need an excuse to do it.

+5 HS
Patriot4098's picture

Potato; potahtoe.

"Evil shenanigans!"     - Mac

Earle's picture

He's only been throwing potatoes.  Potahtoes evidently make his shoulder hurt.

Have you tried Not Your Father's Root Beer?  It tastes just like the real thing, but it packs a punch (5.9%ABV).  It's a little sweet for me though.  Two is my limit.

+7 HS
jkrk's picture

I find this strategy entirely unappealing.

+1 HS
Patriot4098's picture

I blame the extra letter(s).

"Evil shenanigans!"     - Mac

BuckeyeOfTheTiger's picture

Mariota; Mariahta?

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

+1 HS
mh277907's picture

Yea but how do you really feel about Marcus Mariota?

buckeyebobcat

+7 HS
jamesrbrown322's picture

Well, the NFL certainly seems to disagree...

"Success is not final, failure is not fatal: it is the courage to continue that counts." - Winston Churchill

+7 HS
ShowThemOhiosHere's picture

The NFL also once thought that Ryan Leaf and JaMarcus Russell would be amazing players.

Class of 2010.

+2 HS
CC's picture

Come on, they also didn't like Tommy Frasier and Tim Tebow yet they are two of the best qb's in college football history.  I'm not saying Brax is better but your argument doesn't hold water.

-1 HS
RunEddieRun1983's picture

I wouldn't say Mariota is a bad QB, but also thinking about Braxton playing for Oregon, I don't know that they would be any better because their problems aren't with QB play, they're with overall toughness.  Oregon has recruited a lot of undersized players at every spot because they covet speed.

I don't always downvote, but I do always downvote a Michigan fan trolling the Buckeye boards.

+2 HS
saltybuck61's picture

Oregon kind of has to recruit speed over size. The spread was initially created to be an offense for smaller teams to compete with larger teams. Oregon, despite popular belief, doesn't have great recruiting classes year in and year out. Over the past 3 years they have been on average 20th ranked team when it comes to recruiting. Not bad certainly, but they don't usually have elite classes.

awlinBrutus's picture

Oregon's system needs a mobile QB and a few great skill players and a way they go. its more of a system thing with Oregon. zone blocking doesn't need a big OL. they do dominate Northern Cali and the NW recruiting wise and parts of the west.

MICHIGAN STILL SUCKS

nikolajz1's picture

Mariota is ranked as a top 3 pick for next year, Braxton won't go until the 5th round. Take the Buckeye homer glasses off for a sec. 

+10 HS
mh277907's picture

With a solid year, Braxton can easily go higher than the 5th round. But I agree that Mariota's draft stock is higher than Braxton's.

buckeyebobcat

+2 HS
southernstatesbuckeye's picture

Fifth round?  Maybe if they selected now.  However, there is a whole year to play, and if Braxton Miller achieves what many believe he can, he will skyrocket up the charts.

I like cookies.

+2 HS
logamaniac's picture

Or if he is open to a potential position change if a team wants it

cw823's picture

Agreed.  Unless he pulls a Tim Tebow

-1 HS
buckeyedexter's picture

I do think Oregon is overrated and I'm not sold on Mark Helfrich at all; he's not an elite head coach.  He managed to hold Chip Kellys team together for one year, but if it doesn't start to fall apart this year, it will next when Mariota is gone.

+2 HS
Hovenaut's picture

Have no issue with Mariota, but I am tired of seeing Oregon hyped up every preseason.

They're going to go as Mariota's health goes (that should sound familiar).

I wouldn't be surprised to see Brett Hundley and UCLA win the PAC12.

+8 HS
GlueFingers Lavelli's picture

I'm picking the Bruins to win the Pac12. They return pretty much everyone on the team. I don't think Mora gets enough pub for the job he is doing out there.

Dustin Fox was our leading tackler as a corner.... because his guy always caught the ball.

+2 HS
Tater_Schroeder's picture

Their jerseys are sweet. 

TATERS GONNA TATE

+1 HS
Nutinpa's picture

Fair enough and I agree with you, hovenaut.

Now replace Mariota with Miller;  Replace Oregon with Ohio State.

And that response is what you get from a healthy cross-section of college football fandom.

+1 HS
Hovenaut's picture

Spent enough years away from home (with a good chunk of those in Pennsylvania) to have seen/heard that reaction up close and personal.

My comment may come off homerish, but at least there is some history with OSU. Oregon has talent, resources, money...but they have some catching up to do.

OSU069's picture

Take off the homer glasses. This is an absolutely ridiculous post. He threw 4 interceptions all year last season. He is a damn good QB. The argument between he and Braxton on the college level is a push. It could go either way. 

+5 HS
TheShookster's picture

We just need games to start already, people are getting crazy around here...Mariotta is a hell of a football player, so is Braxton. 

He ain't even stretch doe!!

+6 HS
The Rill Dill's picture

Anyone that calls it 'The Natty', -------I won't go there.  I'll just shut up.

-1 HS
Earle's picture

No need to run down the competition.  Let Braxton be Braxton (and stay healthy) and he will be in the thick of Heisman conversation regardless of what anyone else does.  But first things first:  Get to 13-0 and the playoffs.  The individual stuff is secondary.

Have you tried Not Your Father's Root Beer?  It tastes just like the real thing, but it packs a punch (5.9%ABV).  It's a little sweet for me though.  Two is my limit.

+7 HS
Earle's picture

Reading this in retrospect.  Ugh.

11UrbzAndSpices's picture

"Quit skipping leg day bro" - Dr James Andrews

BROSEPH's picture

Mariota is an awesome player, he played on a partially torn MCL in that poor game of his.  I like Braxton a lot, but Mariota is the better all around QB and future pro.

+4 HS
jamesrbrown322's picture

The only issue I have with Oregon is that I'm an Ohio State fan. Most of the media is obsessed with Oregon, and they seem to get a pass on the fact that they almost always disappoint by finding a way to lose a game or two during the season while many hype them as a surefire #1 or #2 team. It reminds me a lot of the Carroll era at USC. Meanwhile, OSU gets bashed with every single loss, no matter the quality of the opponent.

Other than that, more power to the Ducks, so long as any success they enjoy does not come at the expense of, or exceed, the Buckeyes' success.

"Success is not final, failure is not fatal: it is the courage to continue that counts." - Winston Churchill

+1 HS
DJ Byrnes's picture

Yeah, if Mariota is a joke then so are 99.8% of d1 qbs.

Californian by birth, Marionaire by the Grace of President Warren G. Harding.

FitzBuck's picture

.2% = Gardner

Fitzbuck | Toledo - Ohio's right armpit | "A troll by any other name is still a troll".

+9 HS
jamesrbrown322's picture

Like the Jelly of the Month Club...

+2 HS
Squirrel Master's picture

I disagree about Mariota but I do agree that if Braxton had a decent defense last year, he could have gone all the way and had a ton more stats. Every time I saw the defense stay on the field for more than 5-6 plays a set, I saw Braxton having less time to put up stats. And yet he put up top 5 QB level stats.

if the defense plays up to expectation this year, Braxton should be right there with the rest for the Heisman and this team will look like a contender.

I saw a UFO once.......it told me to have a goodyear!

HotSauceCommittee's picture

Being real, let's not forget Brax hasn't won anything (ie titles).

I would be happy with either as my QB.

+5 HS
The Rill Dill's picture

Being real, he was ineligible to win a title in one of his years.  

+2 HS
HotSauceCommittee's picture

Your point is valid but it doesnt change the fact that he hasnt. Dont get me wrong, I prefer Braxton. Both Brax and Mariotta have put up fantastic, heck even eye popping numbers, in their college careers but neither has won anything. Hopefully, Braxton takes that next step this season and finishes his Buckeye career as one of our greats.

-1 HS
Fatpants's picture

All we needed was a MEDIOCRE (read: better than 112th in the country) pass defense, not the shit show we saw towards the end of the season and we win.

I'm just a poo gas huffin' toilet snorkeler at heart....

+2 HS
Jack Fu's picture

This is one of the dumbest posts I've seen on here in a while.

+15 HS
Citrus's picture

Bring back the ability to dv posts! 

+9 HS

Pages