Ohio State Football Forum

Ohio State Football Forum

Ohio State football talk.

Ash = Dantonio

NashBuckeye's picture
August 9, 2014 at 1:06am
34 Comments

Ok...Quick confession.  I cannot build up any hate for MSU's Dantonio because of the D he put together in 2002 that I am sure still gives Ken Dorsey nightmares. I think Chris Ash is going to join Dantonio in Buckeye history as the D-Coordinator that combines with Urban/Tom Herman's O to bring us a National Championship in the 1st year of the new playoffs.

Who among us has not screamed at the TV about the pathetic, passive D we have played since 2006? That is over now! Finally we unleash our athletes on D and let them play.  Anyone else remember Fred Pagac's aggressive D? Seems like a million years ago. It's back!

This great offense with a dominating D is the best of Tressel & Urban.....21 days, 11.5 hours till the 2014-2015 National Championship Season starts!! GO BUCKS!!!

Groveport Heisman's picture

I hope to God you are right but I at least want to see our back 7 against Cincy before I go all in and start claiming a Title. I think we will  be extremely improved but every time I hear how Armani Reeves is one of our better pass defenders I cringe a little.I'm on board with ya but if I dont see land soon enough I will be jumping off the side of the boat.

Mark my words..I don't need acceptance. I'm catching interceptions on you innocent pedestrians.

+3 HS
Furious George 27's picture

New system, so it's not inconceivable that Reeves could excel in it, much like how Urban is saying how good the LBs are now. Reeves did look good in press in the spring.

Yeah, well…that’s just like, your opinion, man.

+4 HS
dubjayfootball90's picture

I hear what you are saying Grove, and I threw a UV to you for voicing your opinion, albeit maybe an unpopular one, haha. But I agree and disagree with you, respectfully. I agree that, BASED ON LAST SEASON PERFORMANCE, people saying Reeves is one of our better corners does make me think a little, however, like what was said in response to your post, it is a new system, and entirely new way to play defense, and we could see an entirely new Reeves that completely whoops ass. Now, I understand that I used a lot of words to express possibility, ie: could, would, maybe even a should in there somewhere, and that is another point I agree with you on, that I want to wait a few games before I really start touting the defense as National Championship contender and favorite.

We still have a lot to prove, which has been the mantra of the entire spring and now of fall camp because of that 2-game skid. But one thing you cannot discredit is the buzz and excitement that this new defensive system is bringing. Anything is better that what we had last year, and if our defense is a little better then last year, maybe that puts us in the W column for B1G CG, and puts us into the National Championship playoff. A better defense (provided the offense runs as well as it did last year) is the last piece of the puzzle for that NC (back 7, at least. Front 4 is nasty). I think the recipe is there, the ingredients are sitting on the counter, but we are in the preparation stages and just pre-heating the oven. Need a few tastes before I can go further. (sorry, I have been baking several different types of zucchini bread with the fiance)

You can feed a bobcat all the chili it wants. That don't mean it's going to crap out diamonds.

+4 HS
Groveport Heisman's picture

Yea I fully expect the press to benefit Reeves. The only concern I have and it is a small one is when WR's beat his press and get around him. If we are going to press and pattern match there are going to be numerous times where young Armani is responsible for his man with no help behind him. That is when I cringe a little and have visions of 6'8 Iowa TE's blowing down the field like Usain Bolt.I'm sure we are going to see pretty dramatic improvement but those are the situations I need to see fixed before I go all in. UV back to ya for the lengthy response.

Mark my words..I don't need acceptance. I'm catching interceptions on you innocent pedestrians.

+1 HS
dubjayfootball90's picture

Yea, I was at that Iowa game, and I was livid. See the TE get by and outrun basically everyone. And your concerns are shared by me as well, but lets just say I may be a little more optimistic at this point in time. Still want to wait and see though. Like I said, a lot to prove.

You can feed a bobcat all the chili it wants. That don't mean it's going to crap out diamonds.

+2 HS
tOSUfan's picture

I think we need to put Armani Reeves on the bench.

Go Bucks!

-10 HS
cinserious's picture

Actually we hope Chris Ash is our Pat Narduzzi. If we are to be on the road to the CFB Playoff championship or whatever the hell its called, then we need to get back to Silver Bullets flying-to-the-ball defense. A tight offense is great and we have one last year of X-Brax to go along with some young potent offensive players but if the Buckeyes are to hit pay-dirt, it will have to start with a defense more dominant than the offense.

Life's daily struggle is choosing between saying F--ck-it, or soldiering on with your responsibilities.  

+2 HS
Buckeyevstheworld's picture

Actually we hope Chris Ash is our Pat NarduzziJim Heacock.

"YOLO" = I'm about to do something extremely ignorant/stupid & I need an excuse to do it.

703Buckeye's picture

Actually we hope Chris Ash is our Pat Narduzzi or Jim Heacock.

"Attack the Strong, Trample the Weak, Hurdle the Dead!"
-Former OSU S&C Coach Lichter

brbrbuckeye's picture

I agree with the Pat Narduzzi comment but Heacock got shredded every time we played a team with equal athletes. His defense was soft and hung back waiting for the offense to dictate to it (Florida, USC, LSU). I've been waiting so long for an agressive defense and Ash's style sounds like the right one.

GO BUCKS!!! URBAN RENEWAL!

+2 HS

He sure got torched by Oregon. Ohio State won 4 BCS games, and 6 straight BigTen titles with Heacock's defense.

Lets not act as if Narduzzi's defenses have always been spectacular.

2008 vs Ohio State 45 pts.

2010 vs Iowa 38 pts over 350 yards of offense.

2011 vs Bama? 49 pts, and almost 550 yards of offense.

2011 vs Wisconsin 31 pts in the first meeting, and 42 in the second meeting.

2012 vs Nebraska? 28 pt and nearly 500 yards of offense.

"YOLO" = I'm about to do something extremely ignorant/stupid & I need an excuse to do it.

+1 HS
route4buckeye's picture

Since 2006? More like 2011.

+2 HS
brbrbuckeye's picture

2006 41-14 to Florida

2007 loss to Illinois and 38-24 LSU

2008 35-3 at USC and lost to Texas in a shootout

2009 was decent 

2010 31-18 loss to Wisky but gave up 28 straight points to Arkansas barely hanging on

2011-2013 was terrible...we know that 

GO BUCKS!!! URBAN RENEWAL!

+1 HS

The D gave up 28 against USC. 24 against Wisconsin.

route4buckeye's picture

Most defenses will have a game or two that isn't great. What a silly post.

whiskeyjuice's picture

I was hoping that you had something to back up your encouragement other than sounding like you put on a good buzz while watching thrilling victories of the past, and simultaneously listening to "Hang on Sloopy" over n over.

"Championships are not won on Saturdays in November. Championships are won on Tuesdays in August." -- Kerry Combs

-3 HS
awarren84's picture

Fair assessment whiskey!

Ash = Dantonio?

We all hope you are right...but tell us why they are equal and deserved a new thread to be created. 

"Anything less than flagrant is just playing grab ass!"

sox33osu's picture

Have you not seen the circle drill video?

+2 HS
bucks4nuts's picture

I'll wait for judgment 

"To The House"

+3 HS
mobboss1984's picture

Correct, he hasn't coached a game yet. No predictions until then.

Always be yourself, express yourself, have faith in yourself, do not go out and look for a successful personality and duplicate it.
Bruce Lee

+3 HS
chicagobuckeye's picture

Lot of Armani reeves hate. You do realize we had the 112th ranked pass defense in the country and reeves wasn't a starter right? I get that he didn't blow anyone away with his play, but it's not as if we had lockdown defense except when he was in. We'll see how the new scheme impacts him. Keep in mind roby and grant looked fine at best with the cushion defense, so it may just be that most corners aren't comfortable with they set. 

+3 HS
cdub4's picture

People need to forget about last year regarding Reeves. Players do improve in college.

+11 HS
hardkorethree's picture

False.. We obviously seen that Taylor Decker is a bum and wouldn't amount to anything after he was completely exposed against Buffalo and Khalil Mack.

+2 HS
Gametime's picture

You know it's saying something when they say they want Reeves to start at the Nickel corner. So we'll actually be seeing Apple or Conley at the other spot. I gotta say though, it makes you pretty confident to know that when opponents go 4-wide we have a lineup of Apple, Reeves, Conley, & Grant in this coverage scheme with Vonn & Tyvis playing center field.

Love coach Ash's defensive techniques & instruction on tape. He let's guys play DB the way DBs want to play!

Between goals and achievement is discipline and consistency. That fire you have inside to do whatever you love is placed there by God. Now go claim it. ~ Denzel Washington

TheBadOwl's picture

I've been hearing that he'll start at one of the base corner spots and slide inside to nickel on passing downs.

When I walked in this morning and saw the flag was at half mast I thought, "Alright, another bureaucrat ate it." but then I saw it was Li'l Sebastian. Half mast is too high. Show some damn respect.

+1 HS
logamaniac's picture

You forgot all about cam :(

hetuck's picture

Reeves 2013 = Linsley 2011. That old adage of it's not about the X's and the O's, it's about the Jimmies and the Joes isn't true in this case. Just as the o-line made quantum improvement in 2012, I expect the same improvement in the secondary due to change of scheme. 

Winning is a habit. Unfortunately, so is losing.

Vince Lombardi

-1 HS
sox33osu's picture

If he winds up being as good as Dantonio, we are going to be an extremely happy fanbase. I will say to this day that Dantonio was the best DC of the BCS era at any school. As much as I love Tress, the reason we won the title in 02-03 was because of Dantonio.

Mean Mr Mustard's picture

Really?  Well, I guess he hasn't allowed any points yet.  That's awesome

+3 HS
Canukbuck's picture

Let's try to remember that Ash is only part of the defensive equation, so I'm not sure you can label him a Dantonio or Heacock .... He was brought in to shore up the back end of the defense, which is something that Withers wasn't able to do.  Luke Fickell is the other half of the defensive equation and obviously, the Fickell / Withers combination didn't work very well (again, we don't know if there was conflict between those two when dreaming up their game plans, but, Withers is gone and Luke is still here, so Urban must have drawn his own conclusions) .... I believe that Fickell / Ash will be the much better combination and certainly Ash's approach to a more aggressive secondary will suit Coach Coombs (who isn't exactly a sit-on-your-hands type of coach) .... One thing we should expect from the defense - big plays (some good and some not so good).  Anytime you play pressure defense from the secondary, you risk giving up the big play when there's a breakdown by an individual.  Should be exciting this season !!

+1 HS
hit_the_couch's picture

Who among us has not screamed at the TV about the pathetic, passive D we have played since 2006? 

I think you mean pathetic D since '11. There were some pretty damn good Ds in between those years.

And then I told her...i'm no weatherman, but tonight's forecast is calling for several inches!

+1 HS
GVerrilli92's picture

What I'm excited about is how the aggressive approach on defense should change the flow of the game overall. We're going to get people off schedule early in their possessions and force longer throws and hopefully that means more 3 and outs.

We get a quick score off the 3 and out, then hand them the ball and ask them to try again.

I expect to see some more games like the Penn State one this previous year. Where the opposing QB just can't get in a groove at all due to the combo of being forced to pass (because you're down) and being rushed like crazy.

How many cheeseburgers are you gunna drive into that dirty old cheeseburger locker Brady Hoke?

+1 HS
Mortc15's picture

What really makes me feel this year will be different is that listening to most of the players in interviews and talks, they all have a confidence in not only their own abilities and assignments but also what the next guy is going to be doing because of being told the same thing regardless which coach says it. 

That is a huge upgrade from last year when everyone seemed lost. Just can't wait for the next 20 days to fly by and August 30th to here (even though the back 7 won't be tested much then)! 

Buck-I4Life

NashBuckeye's picture

I agree. My whole point of starting this thread was that I think we have been too passive even when the D was pretty good.  I just think with the number of athletes we recruit, we don't have to play with a 10 yard cushion all of the time.