Ohio State Football Forum

Ohio State Football Forum

Ohio State football talk.

Am I being unreasonable?

DLB1276's picture
August 6, 2014 at 10:06pm
133 Comments

My wife is planning a trip to San Diego, and it'll be on the weekend of the VT game. I told her I'm going to be unavailable for at least 3 hours that Saturday night, so she needs to know that going in. If she didn't like it, she could book another weekend trip when they're playing a less formidable opponent. She was like "Really?" To which i replied, "Really."

Killer nuts's picture

Family comes first. Try to keep that in mind

+32 HS
rosycheeks's picture

Upvote for you, Dad!

+13 HS
Ugly Hour Chazz Bear's picture

It's from 5pm-8:30ish pm.  Can always go to dinner afterwards (not a big deal IMHO).  Gotta realize you should never ever schedule trips in the fall without looking at the football schedule.

I like the bux.

+12 HS
CC's picture

No it's not unreasonable.

Tell he you'll give her 2 years notice when you will be unavailable and that you'll give her 7 years notice for non-conference games. If she can't work around that she's being unreasonable.

+4 HS
brumon's picture

Fat finger DV! OH NOES!!

rosycheeks's picture

What kind of a jackass DV's this comment. I don't care how many DV's I get for talking about DV's, the lunacy needs to stop. I'm as big an OSU fanatic as anyone else, and trust me when I say that it hurts to miss a game at all, let alone a big night game, but honestly what Nuts said is a reminder we all need to hear sometimes. It's still just a game. Family ABSOLUTELY comes first.

-10 HS
hodge's picture

"I don't care how many DV's I get for talking about DV's..."

This is hilarious to me, because the commenting policy mentions nothing about talking about downvotes.  

+5 HS
Fly Patterns's picture

Actually I thought it does talk about talking about down votes. I thought it said something along the lines of don't talk about down votes. Maybe I need to read it again. Probably good for the soul.

+5 HS
cronimi's picture

It's in the Helmet Sticker guide--

And finally, don't cry about downvotes. Despite our best efforts to manage the system, they happen. In aggregate, though, the voting works. 

+8 HS
hodge's picture

True enough.  I didn't consider the above comment to be "crying" about them, though; he was making a point (albeit crudely) that people were misusing the system on the comment he was replying to -- an undoubtedly true fact.

Whining about outliers DV'ing comments is tiresome, but calling people out for downvoting someone for saying "Family comes first, try to keep that in mind." is pretty valid criticism, in my humblest opinion.

+7 HS
IGotAWoody's picture

I thought it was "the first rule of downvote club is you do NOT TALK ABOUT DOWNVOTES!"

- License to kill gophers (wolverines, badgers, etc) by the government of the United Nations

+1 HS
brandonbauer87's picture

I wish Rosycheeks' comment wasn't locked, I'd give him an upvote. Whether you agree that family comes first or not, downvoting the comment is foolish. Friendly reminder: Downvotes are not for a difference of opinion. It's "downvote", not "disagree".

+22 HS
unknownmusketeer's picture

Maybe it would be good to have a third button for "agree/disagree" situations.

Maybe people should also not call it a downvote, but rather a bagel.

+2 HS
logamaniac's picture

So long as that bagel doesn't come with cream cheese.  god help you if that bagel comes with cream cheese

bbb's picture

Affirmation of this decree

+4 HS
thunderhawks51's picture

I agree that family comes first. If the game overlapped with a singular important event, you would just have to deal with it. However, this sounds like extended time together, I don't think asking for a few hours is asking too much. I might extend the offer to watch it together so that it doesn't sound like I'm trying to disassociate from them completely. 

+11 HS
FloridaBuck's picture

So many bleeding hearts out there. Just watch the game dude. She'll be fine. It's a couple hours, she will probably manage to survive. 

+4 HS
kmp10's picture

Don't know how long you've been married… but it's best to set the standard now. Ohio State football, silly or not, is incredibly important to me. My wife always knew that. Any vacation plans were generally made in months not named Sept/Oct/Nov. If, however, she insisted on vacationing during those fall months then she knew that I would be watching the Buckeyes for three hours on one of our vacation days (she never scheduled vaca time during the season. It was just easier that way). Give in to this and it sets a precedent. Give her options; another week, another month, or 'I'll do whatever you'd care to do the entirety of our west coast trip… except for three hours on game night… if you'll respect my point of view here no matter how silly you think it might be'. Relationships are give and take. If you want to keep the family peace and see the game then give her options. If she cares at all about what you want then she'll be receptive to being flexible. If she doesn't care and won't be flexible, well, you might be in for lots of "really" responses to requests you make that seem unimportant to your wife. I'm not saying you should be an ass, but I am saying that she should respect how important this is to you and that you should stand firm while being VERY flexible with regard to the rest of the trip. In other words, this is far bigger than a football game. It's about respecting each other and realizing that, now that we're married, it isn't 'all about me' any longer. 

+20 HS
ponder10's picture

Family comes first is such a "girl" argument. Why don't you go watch The Notebook instead.

Yes, family comes first if there is some sort of injury or if your child has a sporting event or if there is something else dire that needs to be done at exactly that moment. If not, then family should understand your passions and not put you in this position in the first place.

I'm assuming your wife knew when she married you that Ohio State football was extremely important to you. Why is she expecting you to change that now? She knew what she was getting in to when she married you so she should understand and respect your passions. Watch the game and enjoy the rest of the trip to SD.

“In the end we will conserve only what we love. We will love only what we understand. We will understand only what we are taught.” ~ Baba Dioum

-4 HS
CC's picture

The first line is an absolute gem.  Thank you for giving me my Jimmy V laugh and cry of the day.

MAVBuck's picture

THE BUCKEYE FAMILY!

+4 HS
whiskeyjuice's picture

If he feels that strongly about not missing a game, then maybe he should have told er that up front before marriage.

"Championships are not won on Saturdays in November. Championships are won on Tuesdays in August." -- Kerry Combs

Habu71's picture

Not to mention that's the game when Sweat will be visiting. You'll need to focus all of your attention on tweeting @ him. 

Sounds reasonable to me.

+29 HS
Buckeye in Illini country's picture

You'll need to focus all of your attention on tweeting @ him. 

Just don't be an asshole. 

Am I wrong?

Columbus to Pasadena: 35 hours.  We're on a road trip through the desert looking for strippers and cocaine... and Rose Bowl wins!

+4 HS
Habu71's picture

Thanks Buckeye. I just need to know since this is your 2nd time responding directly to me with that link/comment. Are you going to call me an asshole each time I make this sarcastic comment? 

Patriot4098's picture

Don't think that's the case, man. Reads like he was trying to say that 'if you tweet, don't be THAT guy.'

"Evil shenanigans!"     - Mac

Habu71's picture

Thanks for the insight, Patriot. I asked because this is not the first time I've made that comment, and the same person responded similarly and directly to me. Being  a relative newcomer to the site, I wasn't certain if my sarcasm (including italics) were caught. I typically ask for clarification in instances where I lack clarity. 

Patriot4098's picture

It's an ongoing theme. If you tweet, don't be that guy. Somewhat like a public service announcement.

"Evil shenanigans!"     - Mac

+1 HS
rosycheeks's picture

Two words: Shopping money.

+18 HS
thunderhawks51's picture

You need to keep your priorities straight... ok, my fiance is no longer watching over my shoulder. I'm with you bro.

+37 HS
KBonay's picture

Being from Scal, I am confident you will be able to find a reasonable place to dine AND watch the game at the same time. Remember, on the West Coast, you can enjoy the game and still have lots of time left over for nightlife if you so choose.

+5 HS
Jabba the Hoke's picture

This was my thought, why can't you go out AND watch the game? This is America Dammit !

+3 HS
HeuermanTheFireman's picture

I know a guy. You need a guy?

The person responsible for toes clearly wanted you to stub them.

+18 HS
DLB1276's picture

I'm not quite there, yet.

+1 HS
lljjgg's picture

I went on a group vacation during March Madness two years ago, my girlfriend and a few of her female friends (they spent very little time around us). I told my girlfriend that I was going to be unavailable during the OSU game (it was the one against Wichita State). OSU lost, and it turned out they all went skinny dipping.

There will always be a feeling of emptiness in my life thinking about what I passed up that fateful evening.

+26 HS
Mortc15's picture

I would say proof or it didn't happen and they were lying. 

Buck-I4Life

+7 HS
VarsityClubMD's picture

Then again, if you had gone would they have skinny dipped?  

It's all metaphysics, Bro.  And ball bearings.  Oh, and flanges.  But mostly metaphysics.  Stay focused.  No regrets.

Dot this

+19 HS
IGotAWoody's picture

C'mon guys, it's ALL ball bearings nowadays!

- License to kill gophers (wolverines, badgers, etc) by the government of the United Nations

+2 HS
PasadenaBuckeye626's picture

just spent some time in San Diego, so if you need a place to watch the game, consider these:

Barleymash in the gas lamp district

Tilted gilt in the gas lamp district

Buffalo Wild Wings (all over SD)

Hooters (all over SD)

Go Bucks!

+2 HS
OSUStu's picture

Is Tilted Gilt like Tilted Kilt except they make you feel bad about yourself for staring at the waitresses?

If you always put limits on everything you do, physical or anything else, it will spread into your work and into your life. There are no limits. There are only plateaus, and you must not stay there, you must go beyond them.  ~ Bruce Lee

+22 HS
Knarcisi's picture

I went to one in Chicago one time. Those girls were built like pulling guards. And i had enough in me and still noticed. They should have felt the Gilt. 

+3 HS
cronimi's picture

Can't speak from first-hand knowledge, but I'd be willing to put money on the San Diego Tilted Kilt having better talent than the one in Chicago. Cases in point.

+1 HS
ponder10's picture

Looks like the Tilted Kilt in SD has some 4-star recruits but I've found that the girls that are typically on the calendars at Kilt and Hooters have never worked a shift in their lives.

You get to the restaurant and they mostly have decent bodies with the inevitable shank-you-in-an-alley tattoo and a face that's been damaged by crystal meth or black tar. I always leave disappointed because the food isnt anything special and the waitresses leave me depressed about society.

“In the end we will conserve only what we love. We will love only what we understand. We will understand only what we are taught.” ~ Baba Dioum

+5 HS

I must have Brady Hoke thumbs.  G and K aren't very close to each other

Go Bucks!

+1 HS
ScarletAndGrayAllDay's picture

Moondoggies in Pacific Beach 

+1 HS
BuckFly's picture

Hooters (all over SD)

I see what you did there.

+6 HS
Scarlet_Lutefisk's picture

Tilted Kilt
Buffalo Wild Wings
Hooters

Skip the national chains & go to Moondoggies in PB or the Oggi's up in Del Mar.

+1 HS
DefendYoungstown's picture

@Pasadena, where do you watch games in Pasadena, I'm in the Dena too. I watch at home the majority of the time, would be good to get a group together in Pasadena to catch a game. Possibly BW3's on Arroyo, Barney's on Colorado??

What we can't do in the air we'll do on the ground.

I'm not 21, so I can't really give much insight on bars (yet).  I think Barney's food is mediocre  Typically, I watch games at my house, but I eat out a lot.  Dog Haus Biergarten on Green St. has good food, but only a few TVs.  I used to like the Boat on Rosemead, but they re-did the place and I don't like it as much.  Slater's 50/50 in Old Town is alright.  Matt Denny's in Arcadia is alright.  Chain wise: Yard House and Buffalo Wild Wings are pretty good.  BJ's and Islands are decent.  That's all I got off the top of my head

Go Bucks!

Cool, someday when you're 21 we'll catch a game and have a beer.

+1 HS

alright for sure

Go Bucks!

Hovenaut's picture

I believe San Diego is German for a whale's vagina.

I got nothing else.

I am not very smart, but I recognize that I am not very smart.

+24 HS
robobuck's picture

You're mistaken, scholars maintain the translation was lost ages ago.

Do you not know that in a race all the runners run, but only one receives the prize? So run that you may obtain it.  1 Corinthians 9:24

+11 HS
Habu71's picture

Inside a whale maybe?

robobuck's picture

HAve you been drinking?

Do you not know that in a race all the runners run, but only one receives the prize? So run that you may obtain it.  1 Corinthians 9:24

DLB1276's picture

"Take it easy, Champ. Maybe sit the next couple plays out."

+9 HS
I'm Ron Burgundy's picture

To those of you quoting me, I say: 

If you want to throw down fisticuffs, fine. I've got Jack Johnson and Tom O'Leary waiting for ya, right here!

+3 HS
logamaniac's picture

you've got to keep your head on a swivel when you're involved in a vicious cockfight that escalates quickly

Knarcisi's picture

KBonay brings up a good point. You can put yourself in good position to to get a bite and some drinks for a 5 PM PT kickoff then still have the rest of the night. 

http://www.alumni-osu.org/sandiego/index.php

And according to the OSU alumni site for watch locations:

CALIFORNIA/San Diego
Draft at Belmont Park - new location
3105 Ocean Front Walk
San Diego CA 92109
(858) 228-9305

Oggi's Pizza in Del Mar
12840 Carmel Country Road
San Diego CA 92130
(858-481-7883

[email protected]
www.osusandiego.com

And by the way, propose this in a compromising way, like you are offering an amicable solution. Win some points along the way. 

+3 HS

I hit Draft @ Belmont Park a few weeks back, would be a great place to catch a game...

UpNorthBuckeye's picture

My brothers wedding is on the day of the MSU game and I'm the best man. Any way out of that one?

"Love my State, hate the football"

+2 HS
Habu71's picture

See Heuerman comment, seems as though he can help.

+3 HS
Knarcisi's picture

With it being a night game, yeah, a TV at or near the reception. Get it done. Other than verbally abusing your to-be sister in law (let's face it, your brother had no choice), it's your only hope. 

+2 HS
KBonay's picture

Take lots of pictures at the Bachelor party...that might just work...

+20 HS
Knarcisi's picture

Comment of the night. 

+2 HS
Bucki78's picture

"But I don't have to rely on a lot of people to tell me about the traditions of Ohio State. I lived it, I breathed it, I know it and I love it." - Urban Meyer

+2 HS
UpNorthBuckeye's picture

This is why I came here for help...the perfect solution

"Love my State, hate the football"

+2 HS
11UrbzAndSpices's picture

Get a new brother

Cardale Jones. Cardale Jones! CARDALE JONES!!

+2 HS
The Rill Dill's picture

Something seriously wrong with your brothers priorities, I'd say.  Damn.

cronimi's picture

Just forward your brother this link without comment:  Fall Weddings 

+2 HS
Boxley's picture

Well that isan 8pm game, so you should be able to view the game during the "after" party.

"...the man who really counts in the world is the doer, not the mere critic-the man who actually does the work, even if roughly and imperfectly, not the man who only talks or writes about how it ought to be done." President T. Roosevelt

toad1204's picture

Find electronic device with Watch ESPN app or BTN2GO.

Nothing like dancing on the field in 02... 

Mean Mr Mustard's picture

Night game.  Everyone can watch it at the reception.  It is also another reason to cut the toast to the man and bride short.

robobuck's picture

On the one hand, she should have booked one of the two bye weeks!! On the other hand she should have booked it when the weather is bad here. I guess those are just fingers of the same hand. Joking aside, as a husband myself the saying is true "happy wife happy life" and my advice to you is this: make it your goal on that trip to show her that she, not the buckeye football team, is the most important thing in your life. My experience tells me that if you do that, she will make it worth it! Wink wink nudge nudge say no more

+2 HS
AngryWoody's picture

No.

Our Honor Defend!

+3 HS
bbb's picture

you sound like a man-child

-9 HS
DLB1276's picture

Why, because I'm trying to balance being a considerate husband with doing things  that are important to me? When you have 3 kids ranging in age from 15 to 3, it's damn hard to take time for yourself and your interests.

+10 HS
bbb's picture

That I understand, but the way you went about telling her sounds quite puerile and as such it certainly won't help your cause. Marriage is about both parties, you can come to a much better compromise than the hard-line stance you set forth with such vitriol.

-9 HS
buckz4evr's picture

~~Marriage is about both parties,

This is very true.  So....why would she book the trip knowing that is something important to him?  He didn't tell her 'no', (his part of the compromise) just that he would be not available for a couple of hours.

+6 HS
Byaaaahhh's picture

Grab dinner at a place that will show the game. You'd normally take an hour for dinner anyways... just... take two more.

If your vacations are like my vacations with friends, they revolve around getting things to eat iconic to the city, with sightseeing a far second priority. Eat somewhere, go to the next place during halftime, eat again. 

+1 HS
mr.green's picture

I did skip GOING TO The Game one year because my wife was nearly full term in her pregnancy.  But I didn't miss WATCHING The Game.

+6 HS
Fatpants's picture

Wise man. There's absolutely, positively, no good reason to risk running afoul of a woman that's all swollen up with your child.

+1 HS
Boxley's picture

My first born was born on 23 November, yep game day. Fortunately she handled her business ( 2 hours from admittance to delivery) and we could both watch the game in her room, holding my firstborn son. Pretty good day except for the final game score. Damn Cooper years!

"...the man who really counts in the world is the doer, not the mere critic-the man who actually does the work, even if roughly and imperfectly, not the man who only talks or writes about how it ought to be done." President T. Roosevelt

oh_dad55's picture

I once watched a Buckeye game at the Carl Strauss Brewing Co.  It's in downtown in San Diego.  Great food and good beer.  That was the year (1997) Illinois won and some of the big ten refs got fired at the end of the season.  

On second thought, maybe you shouldn't go there and jinx us.

Oh_Dad

+2 HS
oh_dad55's picture

Make that Karl Strauss, not Carl.  1157 Columbia Street.  Just a couple of blocks from the Gas Light District, and the aircraft carrier Midway..

Oh_Dad

+1 HS
SWAGGERNAUTICAL's picture

I haven't seen a game in two years (military) I would've told her not to schedule a trip until after Jan. 12, 2015 after we win the national championship.

+8 HS
Knarcisi's picture

That's a hell of a sacrifice. Thanks for your service. No streaming at all or anywhere you can even watch a game?  Guess us civilians don't truly understand how tough it is for you guys. 

+2 HS
KansasBuckeye's picture

I completely understand.  I was away for Basic Training and AIT during the disastrous 2011 season.  Missed every game after the Nebraska debacle.  One of those things they leave out when you raise your right hand..

+1 HS
Buckeyevstheworld's picture

No.

"YOLO" = I'm about to do something extremely ignorant/stupid & I need an excuse to do it.

+1 HS
Calgarybuck's picture

You guys are missing the point, Here's what you do.  Book her a massage for 6pm for an hour at the Hotel your staying at.  A)girls take an hour planning to get ready for a massage so you get to leave around 5 pm for kickoff and to grab a drink at the hotel bar or restaurant near you.  After she's done the massage (7 pm PST) She'll have to get ready for a NICE dinner out (that'll take about an hour) she'll then come down at around 8-8:30 PM which by then the game will be over or at worst OT and you'll have built enough credit to watch OT or braxton taking a knee.

IMPORTANT! If she's the type of wife who can get ready quick leave a bottle of wine on ice in the room as she'll relax and take her time getting ready and suggest maybe ordering room service as a final bullet.  

In any case and point there's always a way, you just have to get a little creative! 

+22 HS
Oyster's picture

This is pure gold!

dubjayfootball90's picture

This wins. Bravo to you, good sir.

You can feed a bobcat all the chili it wants. That don't mean it's going to crap out diamonds.

Tater_Schroeder's picture

Copy this entire thread into Word. Remove any comments that do make you look unreasonable. Print and show it to her. 

Sometimes they think that you are the only person in the entire world that is so emotionally invested in something. It's good to have backup.

How Firm Thy Friendship

+4 HS

Look honey, strange men on the internet who are obsessed with sports agree with me

+19 HS
Idaho Helga's picture

Umm, I agree with you too.  Ain't just the guys here!  The massage idea was brilliant.

1 - Beaker. Yes.

2- Take your pic of images http://knowyourmeme.com/memes/there-are-no-girls-on-the-internet

GreatLakesBeer's picture

I'm missing my 10 year high school reunion to watch the VT game..........this is no way related to your problem sorry.....but i sure am gonna make fun of all my friends that go to the reunion

If you will it dude, it is no dream

+4 HS
Dirty419Boy's picture

The only way she's not going to do it to you again and again is for you to hold your ground on this.

+4 HS
niblick's picture

zero chance I'd miss that game, and your wife should know you well enough to understand "it's a fall Saturday, better check with the hubby if that weekend is ok".  Stand your ground, plain and simple.

There are 8,760 hours in a year, and there's only 39 of them that really matter.  If she can't respect that, it's her problem. 

+1 HS
DLB1276's picture

Yeah, we're looking at going to Draft as recommended by Knarcisi. Everybody wins. And thanks for all the great comments/recommendations. I knew I could count on my Buckeye brethren.

Seattle Linga's picture

Can you buy a subscription to 97.1 and listen to Keels calling the game on your cell phone?

+1 HS
What Would Troy Smith Do's picture

There are some great restaurants in the Gaslamp District. Many with TV's everywhere. Just go spend your evening there. The weather is likely to be awesome and you may even be able to enjoy it sitting in an open air place with a breeze, a beer, and your family.

causeicouldntgo43's picture

Gents - I know I've said this before and I'll say it again. If you are in any type of a relationship at all, ensure you get a big calendar and put it on the back of door somewhere and write in the dates of all OSU games WELL in advance - like in January of the new year. This way, you have staked out your territory and you are in a more favorable negotiating position. I know a paper calendar is "offline" and "old school", but the optics of this works.

Since it's too late for your particular situation for this approach, the guys recommending Gaslamp are spot on. She can even go wander around a bit while you cheer on the Bucks. Think of whatever place you select as "base camp". BTW, there is a Hard Rock Hotel there in the Gaslamp and they have concerts, you might want to check it out if you are in to music.

BucksFan2000's picture

Can't help you bro.  My wife loves OSU football too.  When OSU was playing at UT we were on a trip, and not only did she want to watch the game too, she agreed we could watch it at Hooters.

+1 HS
Fatpants's picture

Yes. Happy wife = happy life.

-2 HS
The Rill Dill's picture

That's fresh.  Make sure everyone is happy, but you.

+3 HS
Brutus1972's picture

The fact that you are even going to San Diego on that weekend is proof that you have compromised enough already. Now, all you have to do is convey that to your wife in a fashion that wont get you put on the couch for a week. lol

+1 HS
Catch 5's picture

Not at all.  A couple hours dedicated to an activity you want to do is not asking too much and you have given her plenty of time to plan around it.  I've found on these getaway trips there are usually things she wants to do that don't require your presence and you don't particularly want to do - she can plan on doing it during this time if possible.

My wife doesn't really get into college football beyond watching Auburn on occasion when they are winning (gah!) and giving me a hard time when they win the Iron Bowl.  She does get into the "nerd conventions" like DragonCon in Atlanta - on Labor Day weekend.  You know it better as the weekend college football starts, including the Chic Fil A game in Atlanta.  She got to where she wanted me to go with her to DC, which I agreed to do with the understanding that all day Saturday I would be with a friend of mine that lives there watching football.  It has worked out well enough.

Make their asses quit! - Nick Saban

+4 HS
Run_Fido_Run's picture

As painful as it might be to do so, please give us a blow-by-blow account of your wife's actions during the last two minutes of last year's Iron Bowl. When Auburn returned the FG for a TD, did she dance a jig in your face? Did you two sleep in the same room later that night? Etc.

+1 HS
OSU_1992_UFM's picture

blow by blow....dirty

UFM_Renewal

Catch 5's picture

Fido, the events of that evening are permanently removed from my memory. 

Ironically, she is the one who gets much more upset about losses even though I am the one who actually cares and follows the sport closely.  As a result, we rarely watch the Iron Bowl at the same location.  She was at a friend's house watching with fellow Tigers while I was at another with Bama fans.  We did watch the Sugar Bowl together and she was cheering on the Sooners in my face pretty good though.

+1 HS
Baroclinicity's picture

That must be a god woman on all other fronts...

When you're holding a hammer, everything looks like a nail.

+1 HS
Catch 5's picture

That she is, my friend.

HoopHal's picture

I can relate. My girl friend absolutely hates football and I have yet to tell her there will be 5 Saturday night games this season. I do not ask for much and am extremely flexible except for OSU football and OSU basketball unless they are playing a team with a hyphen or a direction in their name. It's 50-50 whether our relationship of more than 25 years will make it through this season.

+1 HS

It's a shame you have to miss all the Northwestern games every year....

How Firm Thy Friendship

allinosu's picture

My wife and I picked two passions each within reason that the other would understand. Luckily OSU was on both our list but I have friends whose wives will schedule everything during game time just to be in control. NO THANKS  

+1 HS
CTBuckeye's picture

The game will start at 4pm in San Diego - more than enough time to watch the game and have a nice dinner afterward.  Marriage is all about compromise, and it doesn't seem unreasonable to block a small window out for the game.

"Because we couldn't go for three"

+1 HS
Citrus's picture

For everyone saying family comes first, yes, sure. That is a cop out answer and its a little lazy. Not everything in family trumps everything else. For instance, suppose your situation puts you in the following position: one tv. Kids wanna watch Frozen for the 45th time but the Buckeyes are on. Does family coming first mean that you don't watch the game? No, you tell the kids to play with their toys or go out side or watch the game with you. A truer statement would be that family priorities come first. Three hours during an entire vacation is not unreasonable. Its not like every second of a vacation is: go! go! go! There is some downtime. Disallowing a guy to watch his favorite team's biggest out of conference opponent for three measly hours would be unreasonable. 

I love football. I love it. Its one of my favorite pleasures on this earth. I am guessing the poster and I have this fact in common. Shouldn't his wife want him to be happy too? I am sure on this trip he'll probably visit some site or do something for longer than 3 hours that he doesn't care about in the least. Why? because you want to make the people you love happy. 

Marriage and family doesn't end the need to make the other feel happy. It shouldn't mean that we are to give up things that bring us joy on the other partner's whim. Maintaing a happy marriage means sticking up for what brings joy every now and then. 

Disclaimer, I am not married. I don't have a family. Seeing the expectation placed on men that they are to become lifeless, thankless, joyless, maintainers of the household seems wrong to me. I've seen marriages that seem to work and others that don't. A common theme is that the dude seems to believe he no longer has a right to enjoy anything. 

+11 HS
Run_Fido_Run's picture

True words of wisdom.

A recent study found that couples that perceive marriage to be a journey tend to have longer lasting, stronger marriages than couples that perceive marriage to be a joining of "soul mates" Part of the journey for the wife (or husband) of a college football fanatic would involve compromise and a genuine attempt to accommodate her/his spouse's passions and interests. 

This study is a great reminder not to set your marriage up for failure by overly romanticizing your spouse and asking them to meet unrealistic standards.

+3 HS
allinosu's picture

There is a big difference between a person who spend almost all their spare obsessing over sports and someone who loves watching their favorite team.

Marriage being about finding a soul mate, guys thinking only Playboy playmates are good enough for them, and Cosmo telling her guys have to be perfect, and, if he is perfect, he is boring is just another thing that the Illuminati has pushed on people to break up the family.

The Rill Dill's picture

^^You win the entire internet.^^

+1 HS

I'll marry you

+1 HS
Citrus's picture

This warms the cockles of my heart. 

+1 HS

Best advice I ever got was from my father when I was a teenager. He told me, "Never date a girl just to make her happy. It's a requirement that she also makes you happy."

Think about that a little while and it doesn't seem as selfish as it first reads. A healthy relationship needs both persons in the relationship to work on making the other happy. I used that advise, and as of this past Monday, I'm two years into a great marriage. 

My wife hates watching football, but I've never missed a snap on her account. 

How Firm Thy Friendship

+4 HS
Scarlet_Lutefisk's picture

Do you think any of her friends said "family comes first" when she asked if it was unfair to schedule a vacation during football season knowing how important the Buckeyes are to her husband?

Hell do you think she even asked that question in the first place?

+6 HS
Fatpants's picture

Who here thinks the Good Guys aren't going to plant their collective boot firmly in VT's arse anyway?

ShowThemOhiosHere's picture

A few hours out of an entire vacation is not unreasonable.

Class of 2010.

+1 HS
BeatTTUN's picture

If you are in San Diego go to Hodad's.

you are welcome

Go Buckeyes

Beat Michigan

Go Buckeyes Beat Michigan

Buckshaw79's picture

You're not being unreasonable, its your vacation too and if you want to take 3-4 hours to watch a game, so be it. Its not as if you are missing your kids pony league game or dance recital. I have been married 10 years and my wife knew going in that If I'm going to miss a Ohio State game, it better be something important, not her co workers wedding, 3rd cousins play or some kid i have never met birthday party. Very Few things in life that give me as much happiness as those 13-14 days I get to watch the Buckeyes in the fall. 

"Be the man your dog thinks you are"

+1 HS
Prickly_Pete's picture

Not unreasonable at all. San Diego will be there the following weekend.

Another reason why I won't get married