Ohio State Football Forum

Ohio State Football Forum

Ohio State football talk.

Gary Williams

Remy's picture
August 3, 2014 at 11:36am
6 Comments

FairfaxBuckeye named Gary Williams as one of his favorite obscure Buckeyes from the past in Habu71's post Favorites From the Past.

BroJim asked me to do a feature on Williams. Below is what I could find.

Williams' 48 consecutive games with a catch is an Ohio State record.

Williams' 48 consecutive games with a catch is an Ohio State record.

Gary Williams, WR (1979-82)
Born: 1959 (Wilmington, Ohio)
High School: Wilmington

Ohio State
The Buckeyes were 38-10 with Williams on the team.
1979 Big Ten Title.
1981 Big Ten Title.
1981 Defeated Navy 31-28 in the Liberty Bowl.
1982 Defeated BYU 47-17 in the Holiday Bowl.
Went 3-1 against That Team.

• Led the Buckeyes in receiving yards in 1981 (941) and 1982 (690).
  • Led the Buckeyes in receptions in 1981 (50) and 1982 (40).
  • Ranks third all-time in receiving yards for a career with 2,792. Michael Jenkins is first (2,898) and David Boston is second (2,855).
  • Ranks fourth all-time in receptions with 154. David Boston (191), Cris Carter (168) and Michael Jenkins (165) are ahead of him.
  • His 220 receiving yards against Florida State in 1981 is third highest total for receiving yards in a game.
  • Averaged 18.1 yards per reception during his career.
  • Caught 16 touchdowns during his Ohio State career.
Art Schichter and Gary Williams connected for 220 yards against Florida State in 1981.

Art Schlichter and Gary Williams connected for 220 yards against Florida State in 1981.

Honors
1982 Captain.
Four-time letter winner (1979-82).
Was selected in the 11th round of the 1983 NFL Draft by the Bengals.

Sources- The Ohio State Team Guide and fanbase.com

Remy's picture

Let me know if there are any errors.

Per profootballreference.com, Williams was with the Bengals for eight games in 1984. He started one game and had one kick return for 0 yards in a 6-26 loss against Seattle.

I don't know what he is doing today.

Gary Williams

"I'm sick of following my dreams. I'm just going to ask them where they're goin', and hook up with them later." ~ Mitch Hedberg

+6 HS
Seattle Linga's picture

He and Art had something special even if it was short lived. It would be nice to have a Buckeye link to have an updated list where we can catch up with former players.

Well done Remy.

+2 HS
Habu71's picture

Very good idea Seattle, and nicely done Remy.

+2 HS
NashBuckeye's picture

He also had that long streak where he caught at least one pass in every game (48 games if I remember correctly). 

+1 HS
BroJim's picture

Thanks so much, Remy. I hope you enjoy doing this as much as I enjoy reading and learning about Buckeye Football.

I season my simple food with hunger

+1 HS
VarsityClubMD's picture

Gary Williams played when I was 10-13 years old and I got to see him play a ton of games live in the Shoe thanks to my dad getting season tix in '77 or '78. Gary was fast and he was clutch. When the Buckeyes needed a catch you knew they were going to 44. Thanks for doing this feature.

Dot this

+2 HS