Ohio State Football Forum

Ohio State Football Forum

Ohio State football talk.

Favorites From The Past

Habu71's picture
August 3, 2014 at 7:27am
106 Comments

Who are your favorite obscure Buckeyes, those players that seemingly only you remember? They may have been stars that didn't pursue football after college, never quite cracked the starting lineup, or transferred or just faded away. Yet they remain in your memory as greats. 

Terry White - Two year starting Safety, dismissed in 1986 for violating team rules. He transferred to and finished his career at WVU. He was a bit undersized, but one of the biggest hitters on the team. You just expected to see the ball pop lose when he hit people. 

Mike Lanese - WR that played opposite of Chris Carter. 2 time Academic All American and Rhodes Scholar that went on to study at Oxford. Always made big catches, and played well against TTUN. Dependable, gutsy, talented WR that valued using his brain more than going to the next level to play football. 

Who are some of the others?

Keith Byars is the man's picture

We used to take our high school basketball team over to Terry White's hometown for summer league on the outdoor courts at the park and he would referee games there. Man could he hit. 

Nothing is Impossible!!!

+1 HS
Habu71's picture

Can you imagine opposing team receivers crossing the middle with thoughts of being met by Spielman or TW? 

Seattle Linga's picture

What kind of referee is allowed to hit and tackle? 

+2 HS
Hoody Wayes's picture

FAVORITES FROM THE PAST?

This morning in Toledo, tap water is the number one vote-getter.

+14 HS
Habu71's picture

Hopefully water will return for another year (or longer).

+2 HS
Hoody Wayes's picture

FAVORITE FROM THE PRESENT?

When reporting from water distribution points, Toledo's female television reporters say, "Bring your jugs."

+2 HS
FairfaxBuckeye's picture

Wide Receiver Gary Williams always seems to be often overlooked when the conversation about great Ohio State receivers comes up. 

He had a reception in 48 straight games and is still near the top of Ohio Stare receiving records 25 years after he played. 

+5 HS
BroJim's picture

Wow, great point. What number did he wear; maybe Remy can feature him or do a solo piece about him if he has not already. . .

I season my simple food with hunger

+1 HS
hetuck's picture

Tore up his knee in the Holiday Bowl. Always wondered what kind of pro career he could have had. 

Winning is a habit. Unfortunately, so is losing.

Vince Lombardi

+1 HS
Remy's picture

I completed the feature on Gary Williams. Go here to read it.

"I'm sick of following my dreams. I'm just going to ask them where they're goin', and hook up with them later." ~ Mitch Hedberg

+2 HS
Habu71's picture

Great call, he was awesome. 

BuckeyeGrownFloridaLiving's picture

How about some SMOOTH JAZZ?? That's technically the past, right??

+1 HS
FROMTHE18's picture
+4 HS
Hovenaut's picture

I remember Chad Cacchio turning in a solid year at WR on Cooper's last team in 2000. Plenty of talent on the '99 and '00 squads that were very disappointing to say the least.

+3 HS
BlockO's picture

All he did was score tds....Chad was a beast even though he was only a walk on.

"faith seeking understanding” (fides quaerens intellectum)

+1 HS
GreatLakesBeer's picture

Tim Anderson DT 2002 NC team 

If you will it dude, it is no dream

+2 HS
GreatLakesMike's picture

Agreed. Antonio Pittman also came to mind. 

+3 HS
Habu71's picture

Loved Pittman! That TD run against TTUN immediately following Smith to Gonzalez pass was strong. Two defenders, one squared up, after the collision Pittman standing in the end zone. Defenders on their behinds. 

Baroclinicity's picture

Most recently Nate Ebner.

When you're holding a hammer, everything looks like a nail.

+2 HS
Onionballz's picture

Wow, couldn't think of his name but there it is.  Complete beast.  Loved watching that guy go all out on kickoffs.

airbuckeye's picture

Wow my list would be Archie Griffin /Jack Tatum/ Matt Snell / Doug Van Horn which i grew up with is cousin's on the westside of Columbus. Paul Warfield/ John Brockton /Mike Sensibaugh /James  Stillwagon just to name a few because the list would be long.

+1 HS
The Rill Dill's picture

These guys were hardly obscure.

+1 HS
512buckeye's picture

Jamario O'neal.

Let's party, Columbus.

AGL's picture
+1 HS
JOhio1560's picture

James Laurinaitis (he wasn't that obscure but still one of my favorites)

Carlos Snow

Aaron Pettrey

Brent Johnson

Brandon Joe

"You Win With People" - Woody Hayes

+2 HS
sb97's picture

I was going to say Carlos Snow!

CC's picture

I saw him play for DE at MD.  They were tied up at 7 if I recall, he was eyeing down 1 receiver every play, in the 4th he finally threw it to the UMD corner.  DE lost 14-7.

GlueFingers Lavelli's picture

Gary Berry was always a favorite of mine. He didn't get as much press due to the loaded secondary he played in. When you play alongside Damon Moore, Antoine Winfield, and Ahmed Plummer people may not remember you. Nate Clements and Central McClellion were also members of that secondary. Amazing the talent that squad had.  I loved watching Berry because it seemed like teams thought he was a weakness compared to the guys surrounding him, but he always made teams pay for throwing at him, and he was a solid form tackler as well.  One of my all time favorites.

Matt LaVrar is another guy. Very underrated player. Strong as hell but was slowed down a bit with injuries. Guy was a beast though.

Brandon Schnittker or as my brother referred to him as Brandon Shitkicker. Very solid fullback. Does anyone else look forward to the days of power running coming back into football?

Jerry Rudzinski is another guy. Great person outside of football. A technician on the field who had to rely on brains to compensate for a slight lack of raw athletic ability compared to other Buckeye Linebackers.

Dustin Fox was our leading tackler as a corner.... because his guy always caught the ball.

+7 HS
GreatLakesBeer's picture

good choice on Gary Berry one of my favorites growing up

If you will it dude, it is no dream

+1 HS
Buckeye Knight's picture

Great list. From that same era, fullbacks Nicky Sualua and Matt Calhoun were beasts. Nicky was like 270lbs., Calhoun was the strongest man in OSU football history, until another RB Charlie Sanders took the title a year or so later. Charlie is son of the Lions NFL Hall of Famer TE, he was 5'9", 225 lbs. and about 4% body fat, ran a 4.50 40. So much power.

From more recent players that were underrated, I liked Kurt Coleman.

+1 HS
Jabba the Hoke's picture

Every year around that time, it seemed like there was a good fullback.

+1 HS
Athe4's picture

These are a couple of good choices. Gary is a really good guy, still lives in the Columbus area. 

He and I have coached our sons' FB teams together the last couple seasons. Gary could probably still play ball today, he is in amazing shape.

I also played HS ball against Jerry Rudzinski a couple times in preseason scrimmages. He was a very intense dude, but a great guy. Both games we ended up swinging on each other on the field but afterwards we were chatting and getting along great.  He went to law school at UD after playing at OSU. 

TheShookster's picture

Oh wait, in a non-sarcastic answer for once, Pepe Pearson!

+3 HS
GlueFingers Lavelli's picture

I still wear my old champion #29 jersey on Saturdays. Don't know why I can't seem shake wearing it. Maybe its the gray sleeves. He was fun to watch.

Dustin Fox was our leading tackler as a corner.... because his guy always caught the ball.

+1 HS
cjmgobucks's picture

Joe Montgomery

Simon Fraser

Andrew Sweat

"When I look in the mirror, I want to take a swing at me."
Wayne Woodrow Hayes

+5 HS
JohnnyKozmo's picture

Na'il Diggs 

Chris Vance (this one because the first edition of EA Sports NCAA Football that I played (had to have been '00, i think, maybe '01), I played a Dynasty with 2 of my college roommates, and I was in the NCG against my roommate who was using Nebraska, and I hit Vance on about a 65yd TD pass on the last play to send the game to OT, which I won in Triple OT.  Ahh-those were the good old days.  

+3 HS
osupolo's picture

I remember Vance having a nasty one handed grab for a TD in the closed end of the shoe. I can't remember who they were playing or what season it was, but it was rather ridiculous. 

+1 HS
hetuck's picture

Bobby Hyatt. Scored the winning TD on a robust T option pitch to beat PSU in Happy Valley. 

Winning is a habit. Unfortunately, so is losing.

Vince Lombardi

+1 HS
Seattle Linga's picture

The Dreaded Duo of Andy Groom and Mike Nugent from the 02 team. Matt Wilhelm was a punisher 

+3 HS
JakeStevensIsSwag's picture

I think his name was Quin Pitcock

Buckeye fan from PA

+2 HS
buckeyebfd's picture

Cie Grant and Matt Wilhelm from that team

+3 HS
Habu71's picture

That clip never gets old. 

+2 HS
crusher's picture

I don't know if anyone else felt the same but the second the ball was snapped I knew the game was over. Grant timed the snap perfectly.

A little nonsense now and then is relished by the wisest men

+1 HS
BlockO's picture

Dee Miller was a pretty good receiver for us during the Cooper years.

"faith seeking understanding” (fides quaerens intellectum)

+5 HS
Seattle Linga's picture

Is he still on the ONN Buckeye Roundtable show? I really liked his hands

+1 HS
stittracer99's picture

Derek Combs, Drew Carter and Matt Keller are a few that come to mind. And Doug Datish

+2 HS
GreatLakesMike's picture

Loved Matt Keller. 

+1 HS
Crumb's picture

Matt Wilhelm. The guy played linebacker like every guy he hit he had a personal problem with, the dude played just downright old fashioned mean football.

"The only good thing about it is winning the d*** thing" - Urban Meyer on The Game The War

+1 HS
Byaaaahhh's picture

Not really obscure, at least not around here, but seems like a lot of people gloss over Antonio Pittman. I always thought he deserved a lot more credit than he got, though. People tend to remember Beanie Wells, mostly.

+7 HS
Habu71's picture

Wish I could UV this more than once.

NashBuckeye's picture

A couple of Fullbacks that I always liked. Scottie Graham and Nicky Sualua. Pete Johnson also doesn't get as much pub as he deserved because he played with Archie and Cornelius Greene.

+4 HS
kareemabduljacobb's picture

Nate Salley and Jermale Hines.  Hines has always been one of my favorites.  Oh and also WR Mike Furrey.  Walked on at OSU and appeared in 9 games as a freshmen then transferred to U of Northern Iowa (my college and hometown where I've spent a majority of my life in, unfortunately), so I got to watch him tear up the Gateway Conference back in the day.  Pretty sure he set a bunch of records, he was a beast.  Also had a few good years in the Pros (led NFC in receptions one year).

+2 HS
The Butler's picture

Vince Workman. I think most of the older guys on here will remember him, and it's not like he didn't have a productive career and go on to play in the NFL (Packers, Viking, & Panthers). It's just that when you talk about Ohio State greats, his name doesn't get mentioned. Heck, I think he was even a team captain. Played in the mid to late 80's, probably still in the top 25 all time leading rushers at Ohio State (aka the THE). There are a lot of guys who did less for the THE, but get more recognition.

A good solid player. 

I've trained Canaries in the sport of falconry.

+6 HS
Habu71's picture

Absolutely remember him, was a great back. Wasn't he a local player? I'm thinking one of the Dublin schools. 

+1 HS
The Butler's picture

Habu - Dublin Coffman, I believe. I think he still holds most of their rushing records too.

+1 HS
Habu71's picture

Thanks, Butler. He is absolutely one of those guys that should be mentioned more often.

+1 HS
OscarSierraUniform's picture

Joel Payton, Chris Ward, Luther Henson, Ken Fritz, Mike Guess, Kirk Loudermilk, Alvin Washington, Doug Donley, Gary Williams, Bob Atha, Glen Cobb, Carlos Snow, Tom DeLeone

See ball, get ball.

+5 HS
lamplighter's picture

agree on all, especially Donley who had good speed and good hands

+2 HS
Oldschoolbuck's picture

Was going to post Donley - "White Lightning" - played a little for the 'Boys, I believe.

+2 HS
BenedictineBuck's picture

Michael Wiley, Ricky Dudley, Dee Miller, Jason Ott.

Because we couldn't go for three!!!

+2 HS
InTressITrust's picture

Harlem Jacobs. He blocked a kick in the 2004 Fiesta Bowl. He wore number 13 so at the time that was my reasoning for getting that jersey.

"I'm not going to lie. We're anxious to be a part of a matchup like that. It's two states that love the game of football." -Jim Tressel

+1 HS
Habu71's picture

Jason Gwynn (Tragically passed away in a car accident after playing a great game). His brother Anthony Gwynn, and Marlon Kerner. All local products from Brookhaven, along with the more celebrated Terry Glenn.

+2 HS
The Butler's picture

I remember that accident. I think he was leaving a bar where a fellow teammate got shot. It's a tragedy to see any life cut short, but he really had a lot going for him. Was he a LB? 

For some reason, I seem to remember a lot of accidents that happened with defensive player at that time. I seem to remember one LBer running through a glass door and really hurting himself - ending his career. His name eludes me right now...

+1 HS
Habu71's picture

Defensive line. I think the player you're remembering was his high school team mate Jimmy Greggs. He received a full ride to Minnesota and was shot leaving a bar on the west side of Columbus. Another tragic loss but those two incidents I don't think were connected. The details elude me, but I do remember how talented Jason was and that he was a fine Buckeye on and off the field. 

+1 HS
VarsityClubMD's picture

The LB running through the glass door, IIRC, was when they were still practicing indoors at the French Field House. I want to say this was in the 1983-86 era. I came to campus Fall '87 and am almost positive it was before I arrived. The name eludes me, too, at the moment but I will research it.

Clarence Curtis, October 1983, was the injured player in the FFH. I remember the accident and injury but I'm sorry to say I don't remember the player.
http://leagle.com/decision/198632629OhioApp3d297_1261.xml/CURTIS%20v.%20....

Dot this

+2 HS
The Butler's picture

Thanks for the research VCMD

+1 HS
Knarcisi's picture

John Frank, Roger Harper, Joe Montgomery, Tim Spencer, Derek Isaman, Chico Nelson, Tito Paul, Lorenzo Styles, Curtis Terry, Shaun Gayle, Horace Broadnax, Eric Kumerow, Sonny Gordon, Garcia Layne, Mike Kudla, Raymont Harris, Scottie Graham. 

Starwberry White once knocked himself out hitting a guy. 

+2 HS
Habu71's picture

Love those names! I remember that hit, what a player. Thanks for that. 

+1 HS
Knarcisi's picture

I was very young when it happened. Do you remember the game?

+1 HS
Habu71's picture

At the moment I don't, but it'll be one of those things that I'll research much longer than I should. I'll report back with info once obtained. 

+1 HS
Earle's picture

I was going to say Vaughn Broadnax.  Is that who you meant?  Heck of a fullback.

Italics are for emphasis.

+1 HS
Knarcisi's picture

Sorry, yes. Not sure where I got Horace. Did all these from the top of my head. 

Earle's picture

You got me wondering about Horace.  He did sound familiar.  From Wikipedia:

Horace Broadnax is currently the head men's basketball coach at Savannah State University. Broadnax played college basketball at Georgetown University and was a member of the 1984 NCAA Division I men's national championship team. 

I'm guessing we remembered the name from his Georgetown days and not his current gig.

Italics are for emphasis.

RenegadeBuckeye's picture
+3 HS
Oldschoolbuck's picture

Oh, yeah! That hit would be flagged today and Dumas kicked out of the game simply because of the ferocity. Looks textbook.

+2 HS
Habu71's picture

I had completely forgotten about Zack Dumas, what a big hitter. Thanks for that clip, I saw Pelini pop in the aftermath briefly. Didn't see his cat but I'll watch it again. And again, and again...

+1 HS
The Rill Dill's picture

I saw the hit, LIVE.  It was the best hit I've ever seen, in person.  I really thought the guy was dead.

+1 HS
CC's picture

Those were the days, a perfect spear, a perfect dance a perfect trott off the field... perfect.

+1 HS
The Urban Legend's picture

Always been a huge Chimdi Chekwa fan

The Legend continues

+2 HS
VarsityClubMD's picture

Some tremendous names already listed, many of which came to my mind immediately, too. I'll add Vlade, Calvin Murray, Tim Spencer, Jimmy Gayle, John Frank, George Cooper, Mike Lanese, Pepper, Marcus Marek, Derek Isaman.

Dot this

+2 HS
The Rill Dill's picture

I'll go with----Jeff Logan.  One helluva running back.

+2 HS
VarsityClubMD's picture

And a great color guy on the radio broadcasts back in the day!

Dot this

+1 HS
Habu71's picture

Great memories, WOSU would replay the game at around 11:30pm Saturday night. Then again at 10:00am Sunday morning.  

+1 HS
The Rill Dill's picture

------basketball, too.

+1 HS
VintonCountyBuck's picture

Bobby Olive is one that I always thought should get more notoriety than he does.  Played opposite of Chris Carter.

“Right now, Michigan is not at the pinnacle of college football, and that’s all Urban Meyer cares about...He’s been there and knows what it takes to get there.” 

+2 HS
Habu71's picture

I haven't posted much, but when I have I believe I've mentioned Olive more than any other player.

+1 HS
johnblairgobucks's picture

Pretty sure Bobby Olive played for John Cooper coached Buckeye teams, and Chris Carter was on Earl Bruce's team. 

+2 HS
Habu71's picture

True, he actually played opposite of Jeff Graham.

+1 HS
bucks15's picture

Always appreciated Antonio Smith at CB opposite of Malcom Jenkins.  Was a pretty good player, especially considering he was a walk on.  Had some sweet dreadlocks too.  

+4 HS
Blindsquirrel's picture

William White, stellar guy, very smart,(3.97 or so GPA in Welding Eng, tireless community service absolute wicked hitter.  Second Derek Isamen for damn near beating Tyson.

Go Buckeyes!

+3 HS
buckskin's picture

Jeff Cothran, Nicky Sualua, and the quiet storm, Raymont Harris.

+2 HS
ITWASME's picture

Maurice Wells. Don't know why but I always liked him although he was always second string

+2 HS
jscummins24's picture

Ted Ginn, Santonio Holmes and... Terrelle Pryor are my favorites from recent years.

+1 HS
Athe4's picture

Everyone here is mentioning some great names, pretty much all of my favorites have been mentioned except for Jamar "The Hammer" Martin. 

Seems like you all appreciate the fullbacks, he was a beast at OSU. He brought the pain. I missed how many yards OSU would pick up on a lot of plays he was in because I was looking to see one of his big hits. 

WhySoSerious's picture

Gonzo, loved the way he played. 

Will Smith, beast.

Chris both ways Gamble. probably my favorite of all time. 

Rare&Uncommon

Like the ball in the stands, we balls out

+1 HS
crusher's picture

Steve Bellisari. Nobody could throw a slant to the sidelines like Steve. It may have hit the Gatorade coolers instead of a receiver but it looked like it was shot out of a cannon.

A little nonsense now and then is relished by the wisest men

+1 HS
Habu71's picture

I fully expected your comment to provoke the posting ot that Bauserman Passing Chart.

+1 HS
CC's picture

That's not funny, I was in row 7 at the Miami game in Miami (Bauserbom started) and now I have PTSD.

+1 HS
Habu71's picture

Nobody yelled "INCOMMING!!!" ?  Shame

RubixTube's picture

I was always a huge Pepper Johnson fan while he was a Buckeye. 

Local NFL coverage and the absence of sports bars geared towards children made it difficult for my 7-year old self to follow his pro career closely, but I always remember trying to follow him with my binoculars from 19B.

Never before in the history of man have lives less lived been more chronicled. - Dennis Miller

+1 HS
Seattle Linga's picture

Brian Stablein - from Walk-On to Full-Scholarship.