Ohio State Football Forum

Ohio State Football Forum

Ohio State football talk.

Braxton Miller tied for 5th in ESPN's College Football Player Rankings

jeremytwoface's picture
August 1, 2014 at 1:38pm
17 Comments

ESPN has finished ranking their top 100 players in college football and Braxton made the top 5.

He is tied with fellow B1G player Melvin Gordon from Wisconsin according to ESPN's rankings. Shilique Calhoun (MSU), Todd Gurley (UGA), Marcus Mariota (Oregon), and Jameis Winston (FSU) are all ahead of him.

What do you all think?

jeremytwoface's picture

Also, only 3 other Buckeyes made the whole list...

Joey Bosa - 34
Michael Bennett - T-43
Noah Spence - 51

The first man gets the ((((Oyster)))), the second man gets the shell.

+1 HS
CincyOSU's picture

Only 4 players in the Top 50(51)? That's pretty good if you ask me. Who else would you have included? We have several players who could work their way onto the list with good years, but I don't see anyone else that should be on the list based on previous bodies of work.

+2 HS
jeremytwoface's picture

True... I wasn't saying I would include anyone else and I wasn't trying to say ESPN is screwing us over or anything. I'm just saying there were only 3 other players. 

The first man gets the ((((Oyster)))), the second man gets the shell.

+4 HS
Terry Porter's picture

Look at it this way. 3 of our d-linemen made the top 51. That is pretty good.

1942, 1954, 1957, 1961, 1968, 1970, 2002, and counting.

+3 HS
RBuck's picture

Looks like we're gonna have one mean-ass D-line.

"It's just another case of there you are". ~ Doc (1918-2012)

Squirrel Master's picture

yeah, after I saw Bennett at 43, I knew there will only be 2 ahead of him. I am surprised Doran Grant didn't make the lower half, maybe like 75. That is the only guy I would add. All the other stars on the team are young and are still unknown. Dontre, EZE and Raekwon. Although I guess I could see Devin Smith at like 97 and I actually like Decker, but he is starting fresh at LT. Maybe he will make the list next year.

I saw a UFO once.......it told me to have a goodyear!

TheBadOwl's picture

Nobody from last year's secondary deserves a spot on that list. Not until they prove that the scheme was the problem.

If they do a post-season list, we'd probably end up with a lot more guys.

Players like Zeke, Dontre, Heuerman, Decker, Elflein, Washington, Darron Lee, Josh Perry, Doran Grant and Vonn Bell could all end up on that list by the end of the season, but they haven't proved nearly enough to end up on that list for the preseason.

When I walked in this morning and saw the flag was at half mast I thought, "Alright, another bureaucrat ate it." but then I saw it was Li'l Sebastian. Half mast is too high. Show some damn respect.

BuckNutzGasMan's picture

A bit biased but I would take Braxton over Gordon and that MSU DE.

Marriotta and Winston probably better.

+2 HS
gneptuneproductions's picture

I honestly dont mind where they have placed the Buckeyes. And I'm sure there will be several surprise players this year who would appear on a post-season top 100 :) and it's fitting #5 for number 5.

+1 HS
gneptuneproductions's picture

Three Big Ten players in the top 5(6) no other conference has more than one.

+4 HS
PAWEST1202's picture

Off the same article, Brain Bennett names Braxton Miller as the top player in the Big Ten. Gordon checks in at 4. I guess the guys at ESPN aren't sharing very well

http://espn.go.com/blog/ncfnation/post/_/id/96270/top-big-ten-players-nos-5-1

+2 HS
makearuckus's picture

Just watch out for Adolpus Washington ! The buckeyes sleeper this year . with double teams on bosa and bennett , spence could have one hell of a season!!!!

"Woody's style was strength-on-strength, will-on-will, toughness-on-toughness." Woody's philosophy was, "I will pound you and pound you until you quit."

+2 HS
Buckeyevstheworld's picture

So the two time BigTen PoTY is tied with a guy that may not even be the best RB in the conference? Makes sense I guess. :/

"YOLO" = I'm about to do something extremely ignorant/stupid & I need an excuse to do it.

-1 HS
TUNBUCK89's picture

I think Bennett's ranking is a bit low. He was projected as a 1st round pick as a junior.

+2 HS
whiskeyjuice's picture

Braxton will probably be as good as the O-line will let him be.

"Championships are not won on Saturdays in November. Championships are won on Tuesdays in August." -- Kerry Combs

+1 HS
Seattle Linga's picture

I really think if there is one player that is already to start the season - it's Braxton - We will see the same type of runner however I really think we will see a much better passer.

HotSauceCommittee's picture

By the end of the season Taylor Decker, Jeff Heuerman and Dontre Wilson would make a re-listing.