Ohio State Football Forum

Ohio State Football Forum

Ohio State football talk.

Why This Could Be the Year

MN Buckeye's picture
July 31, 2014 at 10:08am
13 Comments

Every year I am optimistic about the OSU football season, but this year something feels special. Many people have elaborated at length about the strengths of the units, the coaches, recruiting, the facilities, the program support systems, the current standouts and the rising talent. There has been much discussion concerning the uncertainties of replacing graduating seniors, the potential for injuries, varying degrees of discipline issues, and further unknowns. These issues change a bit from year to year, but they are always there.

The program has mostly recovered from the turmoil of three years ago. Urban and staff are in their third year, the new system is in place, continuity exists. The new coaches have brought new ideas and a different vibe. The locker room is now the best in the country. Administrative, student, alumni, and fan support are incredibly strong. The players are among the most talented athletes anywhere. 

What best describes my optimism for this season are the words calm and confidence. I think this largely comes from the improved communication among the coaches and players about expectations, accountability, community, and leadership. Whether it is Urban buying into the leadership training and the seminars led by Tim Kight, or the position groups hanging out with the coaches and having fun, or the positive atmosphere created by the coaches and players at FNL, it is impossible to put a price on team chemistry. And with that I can

Go Bucks!

Earle's picture

I think the waterfall is going to put us over the top.

Italics are for emphasis.

+11 HS
Buckataltitude's picture

I think you are wrong. It is the barbershop that will do it.

+4 HS
Seattle Linga's picture

I thought it was Kerry Coombs daily fix of Red Bull

+8 HS
JasonR's picture

It all hinges on defensive improvement, especially in the secondary. If they improve even marginally, this will be a very tough team to beat. 

I agree with the sentiment. Brax is a senior and will graduate, and it is likely that at least one assistant will leave after the season. I'd really love to see this team win a title before those things happen. And many, many more after as well :)

+1 HS
sox33osu's picture

I feel the same way. The Buckeyes are really, really frickin good. 

buckeyestu's picture

Defense must be better, than it has been the past few seasons, defense wins titles. We need the Silver Bullets to return.

+1 HS
blocko330's picture

^^This^^

I know I know, but the O line. I don't want to take anything away from what was one of the best o lines in the country last year, but if our defense (pass d especially) was even the slightest bit awake we'd never need to convert those late 3rd a <5 yards..

Our offense, with or without a great line this year, is capable of scoring 24+ EASY... So lets just not give up more than 3tds, not too much to ask..

“Things may come to those who wait, but only the things left by those who hustle.”

- TruthTeller

MordenoftheSith's picture

I can't get excited until I see that pass defense.  We need them to be significantly better, which shouldn't be hard considering MSU couldn't pass against anybody BUT OSU last season and Clemson, more specifically Sammy Watkins, straight up TORCHED that defense.

I'm hoping, but due to the last couple of years, I have to take the wait-and-see approach before I can go full on "this is a special year."

If you only knew the POWER of the Dark Side.

+1 HS
Ardyb's picture

What really bothers me is what could have been if Fickell and withers were relieved of their duties before the beginning of the 2013 season. It pi**es me the f*ck off. FSU pulled it off with a DC fresh out of a high school coaching gig. Our offense shouldn't had to score 30+ point to win a game and thanks to these 2 retards we still lost. All the talent in the world and you don't have the slightest idea how to use them.

1. No rotation on the Dline so our boys ended up getting exhausted by the start of the 4th quarter.

2. DBs playing 15 yards off the LOS and watching the opposing team gobble up yards on screen passes like its nothing.

Go Bucks!

rock flag and eagle's picture

Yeah, Jeremy Pruitt was fresh off a HS coaching gig.  Oh, except after that high school gig he spent six years on Nick Saban's staff, three years as Alabama's secondary coach and was part of two national championship teams.

+1 HS
Hovenaut's picture

The best thing about the points you list is that they're in the past.

The Fickell thing has been fun, but the guy isn't a complete idiot.

Be stoked about some of the philosophical (press coverage) changes, along with the serious uptick in talent that's coming in.

cbusbuckeye's picture

Does Urban strike you as the kind of guy that would put up with mediocrity? If Luke Fickell wasn't a top notch defensive coach I have no doubt he would've been shown the door, have a little faith.