Ohio State Football Forum

Ohio State Football Forum

Ohio State football talk.

Urban's style vs. Tressel with the media.

Gobucks2204's picture
July 28, 2014 at 8:26pm
27 Comments

Watching Urban at today's press conference reminded me how brutally honest he is. You know right where you stand with him.  Did you guys appreciate Tressel's style which was more senatorial? How he was able to say much without revealing much?

I love both coaches, but think I prefer Urban's style more in dealing with the media. This may have been discussed awhile ago already, but I was just curious what others thought about it.

BroJim's picture

It's all coach talk to me. 

I season my simple food with hunger

+7 HS
Groveport Heisman's picture

Urbans style is definitely more fan and media friendly. JT could have a 3 hour press conference and you walk away not knowing the answer to anything he was asked. Almost like their offenses, one is wide-open balls to the wall and the other is keeping things so close to the vest and not wanting to make a mistake. Both have their pros n cons but who wouldnt like Urban's approach a little more?

Mark my words..I don't need acceptance. I'm catching interceptions on you innocent pedestrians.

+2 HS
Pa_snoborder's picture

I like brutal honesty.  That's Urbs style.  Tressels' style was very passive.  Urb is the opposite of that, he calls it as he sees it.  Isn't afraid to call out coaches, positions, or players.  He doesn't let people be mediocre.  I'll put it this way, how long do you think Urb would have put up with Justin Zwick or Todd Boeckman?

"No one puts baby in a corner!" - P.Swayze.

+4 HS
InvertMyVeer's picture

IDK about passive, I'd say 'calculated' would be the right word to describe Tress with the press.

Football is complicated...

+6 HS
Pa_snoborder's picture

^True, diplomatic. 

+1 HS
InTressITrust's picture

Give me the senator every day of the week. Tressel is still a role model of mine.

"I'm not going to lie. We're anxious to be a part of a matchup like that. It's two states that love the game of football." -Jim Tressel

+6 HS
Gobucks2204's picture

I loved Tressel the first time I heard him speak for his opening press conference after accepting the job at OSU. There must have been a lot of pressure to deliver a good first impression after being hired from Youngstown and being not as we'll known as other candidates.  He was talking about Lou Groza, and his love for Ohio.  I remember tearing up with emotion because he speech was so riveting, and effective.  I've heard him speak at a church event too and he was very good. Of course there was the half time speech at the basketball game calling out Michigan. Whew.

+5 HS
Pa_snoborder's picture

^also true, although JT was an accomplished coach he hadn't won on the level that urb did.  

rosycheeks's picture

I think Tressel BS'd a ton, and so does Urban. But I like Urb's BS more.

+10 HS
Tater_Schroeder's picture

I'll take Urban's style more.... If anything else, he definitely gives us more to talk about.

How Firm Thy Friendship

+6 HS
Buckeyevstheworld's picture

I don't care how JT acted with the media. He got it done on the field.

"YOLO" = I'm about to do something extremely ignorant/stupid & I need an excuse to do it.

+4 HS
MikeTheBuckeye's picture

Are you implying UFM doesn't?

+2 HS

At Ohio State? Not yet.

"YOLO" = I'm about to do something extremely ignorant/stupid & I need an excuse to do it.

+4 HS
moopdawg's picture

I appreciated how Tress respected and valued what was done and said in the team locker room.  He didn't give juicy answers for folks to go twitter crazy.  He protected his players and let the actions of the team do the talking. 

Coach Meyer uses lots of superlatives in his language, curses more often, and comes up with catch phrases, and I understand why fans get all giddy to hear him speak. I prefer Coach Tress's style. However, as long as our players represent our university with class and Meyer's teams continue to win games, I'll continue supporting our current head coach.

+2 HS
Gobucks2204's picture

I think they both command attention when they enter a room. They don't hem and haw like Brady Hoke with umms and social awkwardness.  So we are certainly blessed to have had both coaches. These are good times to be Buckeye fans.

+5 HS
whiskeyjuice's picture

They both have interesting styles, but one thing they should be credited with is patience. For the most part, the media asks the same questions over n over, every year, and sometimes every game. They both know that entertaining the media is all a part of the job. Something that Bo Pelini is trying to learn.

"Championships are not won on Saturdays in November. Championships are won on Tuesdays in August." -- Kerry Combs

+2 HS
Gobucks2204's picture

Yes, I am surprised Pelini didn't have his cat there for the media days.

+1 HS
whiskeyjuice's picture

lol, "meow"

"Championships are not won on Saturdays in November. Championships are won on Tuesdays in August." -- Kerry Combs

+1 HS
whiskeyjuice's picture

+1 HS

He looks like a serial killer there.

Seattle Linga's picture

Kinda looks like he's saying "its ok to trust me" with that sheepish grin.

MikeTheBuckeye's picture

I would have missed The Vest a lot more if we didn't hire Urban. I don't think I've seen a coach exceed expectation in every facet of the game. He recruits better, develops better, motivates better, coaches better, and wins consistently. The last decade of being a Buckeye has been sweet. My gut tells me this next decade will be a little sweeter. 

+2 HS
Oyster's picture

I vote for Coach Tressel, and for one reason.  The Dispatch used to always run the "What He Said, What He Meant" article on Sundays after a game.  Comedy Gold!

+1 HS
buckeyeinthechi's picture

Agree with BroJim, it's all coach talk. Both have their different styles, but can't help but love 'em both.

I DO wish Urban didn't comment how well "so and so" did during practice week in and week out.....only to see that player not play at all.

There are three different types of people in the world.....those who can count, and those who cannot.

+1 HS
apack614's picture

"We've always had the best damn band in the land, now we have the best damn team in the land too."

"If we worked half as hard as our band, we'd be champions." - Woody Hayes

+1 HS
MassiveAttack's picture

Strictly adhering to your question about "The Media," I think I preferred Tressel's style, but only by a slim margin.

When I was dating, I never dated the same type of women back to back.  I always wanted somebody different, otherwise, why leave the previous relationship?  Going from Tressel to Meyer is like going from dating the "plain Jane, girl next door, take home to momma" type, to dating a flashy cheerleader.  Both have pros and cons, and I find myself going back and forth as to which one I prefer.

+1 HS
bucks4nuts's picture

Urb says it how it is. If they suck.. He tells em

"To The House"

+1 HS