Ohio State Football Forum

Ohio State Football Forum

Ohio State football talk.

Bill Hancock at sec media day giving examples of the playoff.

Groveport Heisman's picture
July 16, 2014 at 1:22pm
30 Comments

Bill Hancock the executive director  of the College football playoff showed examples at the sec media day of what former years of the BCS what have looked like if they had the 4 team playoff then. Started out with the year we lost to Florida and Urban. We would have played #4LSU in the Rose while Florida and *ichigan played in the Sugar I believe.At first I thought these were all just hypotheticals to show where everyone would have went and how they decided that. Until the questions were asked after his little presentation. Thats when things got interesting. Multiple examples he gave had 2 sec teams in the playoff even one time with a major conference Champion had a better record then a sec team. So some guy  asks him after about how the committee is going to rank teams and are they going to weight Conference Champions that won their conference championship game. He immediately gets a shit eating grin on his face. He goes on to beat around the bush and says not one thing will carry more weight then the other yadda yadda it will be up to the committee members to voice things yadda yadda. He see's where the questioning is going and basically bails quickly from the podium after a quick anymore. Up until today I honestly believed a big 5 Champion that won a virtual playoff game in their conference championship would hold more weight then say a undefeated team that lost in their Championship game if the records were the same. Not any more. I'm not convinced at all that Espin or whoever handed the keys over to this man haven't handed the keys to the National title over straight  to the sec. The way they had ranked the previous years was basically the way Espin hyped the previous years with  absolutely no change. They had multiple years with 2 sec teams in  the playoff when that same year there was a major conference champ with the same record. Sorry  for the long rant just wondering how other members might have viewed this or if maybe I jumped off the cliff and totally misunderstood something. I know the Espin guys went from bitching all week how about a 2-loss sec team might get left out of the playoff with nobody representing the conference to a complete about face talking about how they will probably get 2 teams most years.

Oyster's picture

The way it "should" be is quite simple.  You have to win your conference to be eligible for the playoff.  The way it will be is something else, unfortunately.

May you R.I.P. Otsego, but know this. Gaylord Rocks!

+2 HS
brandonbauer87's picture

I don't think it's quite that simple. In 2011 you would have either Wisconsin with 5 losses or Clemson with 3. I agree the conference championship should carry more weight, I just don't think it's that easy. It's not impossible to have a scenario where Wisconsin's only loss is to us in the B1G championship. I just think everyone jumps straight to the SEC hypotheticals. 

+1 HS
ShowThemOhiosHere's picture

Let's say this scenario happens:

SEC champion - 13-0
Big Ten champion - 13-0
PAC-12 champion - 12-1
ACC champion - 10-3
Big 12 champion - 10-2

Let's say there's another SEC or Big Ten team that's 12-1 - unbeaten until a close loss in the conference championship game.  Should that 12-1 non-champion be left out of the playoff in favor of an ACC or Big 12 champion with more losses?

Class of 2010.

+1 HS

In  my honest opinion yes. They lost their last game which should be a defacto playoff game. I would put a 2-loss conference champ(Big 5) over a 1-loss team that lost the last game they played every single time. Thats the way I think it should be.

Mark my words..I don't need acceptance. I'm catching interceptions on you innocent pedestrians.

+2 HS
ShowThemOhiosHere's picture

If you have to win your conference, then you have to earn your spot in the playoff on the field, which to me is a great thing.  But if you're trying to get in the "4 best teams", then it's not always going to be 4 conference champions.  There will be years where one league will have 2 of the 4 best teams, while other leagues won't have any.  It depends on what people want.  I do find it a little hard to say that the 12-1 team in my scenario should be left out of the playoff if there's a conference champion that has 2, 3, or even 4 losses.  At the very least, being a conference champion should be a tiebreaker over other teams with the same record who aren't.

Class of 2010.

+1 HS
brandonbauer87's picture

Maybe a minimum of 3 different conferences to draw 4 teams would work. I have no problems with two from the same conference as long as it's a supported by what you see on the field. 

+1 HS

Its simple for me. If you lose your last game you are not one of the  best 4 teams,ever. I do not think I could support a scenario where a team loses its conference championship game yet makes the playoff. I think Oklahoma accomplished this feat. the year we spanked Kansas st. in the Fiesta. Not only did they stay top 4 but stayed top 2 and played in the title game.

Mark my words..I don't need acceptance. I'm catching interceptions on you innocent pedestrians.

CincyOSU's picture

If you lose your last game you are not one of the  best 4 teams,ever.

Wonder if you would feel this way if OSU lost in the B1G title game to an undefeated (insert highly ranked team name) in a game where (insert star player) did not play but would be available for the playoffs? Would you immediately dismiss OSU from the playoff discussion?

Yes. Most certainly.

brandonbauer87's picture

How about any MLB, NFL, or NBA team that loses its final regular season game? Or a college hoops team that loses its conference tourney?

-1 HS

Thats completely different as there is a big set of playoffs for every sport you mentioned. Do you not see the difference? I honestly feel if we were to let teams that lost their conference championship game in college football go to the 4 team playoff we would make a lot of what we watch and enjoy meaningless.

+1 HS
tennbuckeye19's picture

What about a conference that doesn't have a conference championship like the Big 12?  

DCBucki's picture

It's going to be the same as March Madness. Each team and conference will be viewed and taken into consideration. If the scenario you mentioned, I would pick OSU (obviously biased, but trying not to be) to be added into the playoffs UNLESS there were other unbeatens ahead of us. Its the best 4 teams. If OSU loses ONE close game in the B1G Title game to an unbeaten team and we are w/o aa star player... we should be in. The only way we aren't is if there are other unbeatens or teams with a similar situation.  

"The deadliest weapon in the world is a MARINE and his rifle!"
GEN. PERSHING, US.ARMY

logamaniac's picture

what if the refs take the win from you and gift it to an opponent, does that make you a less quality team?

-1 HS

It was left too open with not enough guidelines and has the potential for serious abuse. He kept saying over and over the "4 Best" teams. Well the 4 best teams can be highly subjective. If you asked Espin they would tell you that 3 of the best 4 teams reside in the sec most years. Going to be alot more interesting then I originally thought it was going to be. The 4 teams they were putting in were basically the top 4 from the media poll which is highly influenced from Espin, who now has a serious dog in the fight.

tennbuckeye19's picture

I'm pretty surprised you didn't see this coming. Down here in SEC country ever since the playoff format was kicked around and then announced, the thought has been that multiple SEC teams will be in the top 4 each year. Heck, there are some who believe 3 of the 4 teams could be from one conference. 

+1 HS
DCBucki's picture

That will never happen. I can see two, but no way 3 get in. There will always be at least 2 other teams that deserve to be in there and will have the stats/record to support it.

"The deadliest weapon in the world is a MARINE and his rifle!"
GEN. PERSHING, US.ARMY

Gametime's picture

I'm pretty sure the cap for a conference is 2 teams. Beyond that, I do think winning your conference championship game should grant you automatic eligibility, but say we have a year where Ohio State, Alabama, Oklahoma, & USC win their conferences with 1 loss, there's no way another 1-loss SEC team should jump one of them.

To be honest, given that it was the SEC media day, I think a large part of that presentation was trolling.

...I too dream in color and in rhyme
So I guess I'm one of a kind in a full house
Cause whenever I open my heart, my soul or my mouth
A touch of God rains out...

+2 HS

I really pray you are right GameTime and hope the man was just playing to the audience in front of him. Would be a travesty to see the greatest sport on Earth ruined for the all mighty dollar. I originally thought it would take a very "rare" year for any conference to get 2 teams into the playoff. After watching that little presentation I feel like it might be a rare year for there not to be 2 sec teams in it. Hopefully I am just over exaggerating things a bit.

+1 HS
tennbuckeye19's picture

What if 2 (or more) of the best teams in the country are from the SEC, though? Would you think they don't deserve to be in the playoff? 

+1 HS

If they were hands down no questions asked the "best" teams I would have zero problems with it. If a 12-1 Bama that absolutely destroyed everyone up until the sec title game and lost by 1 point was to get in over tOSU that lost a game early that Brax got hurt in but took care of business the rest of the year and won the B1G,then yeah I would have a serious fucking problem with it. 

tennbuckeye19's picture

Well, the perception already is that the SEC is better than the B1G (which is hard to argue), so a team going through an SEC schedule will more than likely get the benefit of the doubt against a B1G team. Which sucks, but there's not a whole lot that can be done about it. 

@OSUDefender's picture

There are years the SEC has deserved two teams, but this certainly has the potential to be a complete cluster.

I think the committee's job would be easier if its task was to rank the four "most deserving" teams, rather than the four "best." Hypothetically, one of the four best teams could have eight losses.

+2 HS
brandonbauer87's picture

Unless your definition of "best" is any team that loses less than 8 games. 

+1 HS
@OSUDefender's picture

The committee isn't really defining it. That's the problem.

+1 HS
Bags5150's picture

I am of the opinion that tOSU needs to go out and destroy every opponent they face in order to shrug off the perception of mediocrity in the B1G.  We can't have close games against anyone including MSU.  THE 5 night games need to be a showcase for a high powered offense, and a stifling, opportunistic defense.  Then everything will take care of itself, and then I don't care how many SEC teams are in.  We have to play ball, show we belong and there will then be no debate.

Everyone has a plan until they get punched in the mouth~Mike Tyson

+2 HS
Tater_Schroeder's picture

I'm assuming that in the case of allowing through an SEC team that lost its conference championship, that the winner of the SEC championship game would also be in, correct? Would it not be unfair to the winning team that they would potentially have to beat the same quality team twice to be crowned national champs? 

Winning your conference has to take precedence and I would favor a rule to require it to get in. I would argue that the dominant league (SEC as it were) would favor this rule, as it guarantees that the team which makes it out of that conference, their road to a national championship would be slightly easier. 

Does this argument make any sense to anyone? If not, please let me know. I'm still trying to wrap my head around it.

How Firm Thy Friendship

+1 HS
IBLEEDSCARLETANDGRAY's picture

If the SEC championship game is a No. 1 vs. No. 2 or No. 3 matchup and the game is close or goes to OT, I have no doubt the loser will still be in a good spot to get a playoff spot over a conference champ that won its conference title game, even if that conference champ is undefeated. They WANT as many SEC teams in the playoff as they can get. They want a "glamour" school in there for ratings. Bama, FSU, Auburn, etc. I have ZERO reason to think there will be much fairness in this selection committee. It's all about the politics.

I DO think that they want to see another Saban vs. Meyer matchup so that might be Ohio State's saving grace IF we can go unbeaten. We lose 1 game I think we will get left out because of the B1G's weak perception.

"Sherman ran an option play right through the south" - Greatest Civil War analogy EVER.

+1 HS
apack614's picture

Add a couple extra games to the playoffs at indoor stadiums/ down south and give every major conference a shot at a playoff game. I don't know how I feel about that honestly but it does seem easier and seems like it would save a lot of questions from pissed off Buckeye fans if the day ever were to come where we get bumped by a 11-1 or 12-1 SEC team

"If we worked half as hard as our band, we'd be champions." - Woody Hayes

jamesrbrown322's picture

I hate to be this way, but the truth is, until other teams and/or conference beat the SEC head to head, on a consistent basis, or has a run that rivals the previous success of the SEC, we're not going to hear the end of this.

I hope that there are two SEC teams in the playoffs every year for a while and OSU beats both of them on their way to 7 straight titles. If anyone other than OSU happens to win a title, I am hoping that both SEC teams get destroyed in their first round match ups.

"I can accept failure, but I cannot accept not trying." - W.W. Hayes

+1 HS