Ohio State Football Forum

Ohio State Football Forum

Ohio State football talk.

Players Care About Uni's

SilverState's picture
July 6, 2014 at 12:48pm
59 Comments

Yes, a uniform thread. Why...because it's the offseason!!!111  (Actually, as someone mentioned yesterday, we have a game next month. Can't. Hardly. Wait.)

Just thought this was interesting from one of our bigger playmakers:

My thoughts towards Uni's:

• I dig our traditional uniforms.
  • Whether I like it or not, as can be seen from uniform-release player-reaction videos and tweets like this, players care about them.
  • "Cool uni's" are just a small part of recruiting, but with the competitive-nature of recruiting, every competitive edge is valuable. (The argument that: "I am still waiting for a player to base his decision on uniforms" isn't strong. Players usually consider multiple factors in their decision, and cool uniforms are just a bonus.)
  • Our tradition of winning depends heavily on recruiting, and I care about our tradition of winning far more than what we look like on the field.

So last year we made small tweaks (the 7 buckeye leaves on the jersey back-side, we wore the alt uni's more, etc.). Would you be up for more tweaks?

I'd actually be up for more updates. Even as far as making the Alt Uni's the default uni's, AS LONG AS, we went with the traditionals for several games a year. This would include The Game, with both squads wearing home jerseys.

Chief B1G Dump's picture
So the traditional uniformzzz are now alternate uniformzzz and alternate uniformzzz are now traditional uniformzzz

+15 HS
TraSmith4's picture

I personally like cool new alternate jerseys BUT if a kid commits to a school because of uniforms that might not be a kid you want on your team. It will eventually happen because of the almighty dollar but it will be a slow process for schools like OSU, Bama, PSU, ND, TX, and other historical powerhouses who already have an established brand and powerful alumni.

-4 HS
BlockO's picture

"faith seeking understanding” (fides quaerens intellectum)

+19 HS
mobboss1984's picture

I think it's important to keep tradition alive however nothing is wrong with breaking out something fresh every once in a while. Just to pump up the fellas during a big game

Always be yourself, express yourself, have faith in yourself, do not go out and look for a successful personality and duplicate it.
Bruce Lee

+2 HS
SWAGGERNAUTICAL's picture

I really don't see what the hold up is on newer unis. The future of the organization are the students and players now, while I agree it'd be nice to stick close to our brand, what's wrong with a few updates?

+4 HS
bigtenspeed's picture

The pic of Ted Ginn on the 5 star article reminded me how much I liked that particular uniform.

+3 HS
sharks's picture

Please define icy.  What makes a uniform icy? 

The postgame show is brought to you by... Christ, I can't find it. The hell with it...

+3 HS
SilverState's picture

Urbandictionary.com is your friend:

Icy - swag, fresh, bling. slang used to describe a piece of clothing or jewelry which is noticeable cool and expensive-looking. "Icy" comes from fresh, cold, or "ice age", "iced out", which refers to the action of wearing diamond wrist bands and necklaces which are transparent and have visual similarity with regular ice in a metaphoric way.

+7 HS
GlueFingers Lavelli's picture

I think we should start bedazzling our collars like they do with those women's cut NFL jerseys. That would be ICY! Screw it, lets set the trend. I think some faux diamond wristbands would really set us apart from the competition as well. Chrome helmets.... why because Gray and or silver are so 90's, and 80's, and 70's as well.  Ok maybe sort of 60's to.

Dustin Fox was our leading tackler as a corner.... because his guy always caught the ball.

+1 HS
buckeyedude's picture

So I guess "fajizzle-bajizzle" unis are out now?

+2 HS
Floyd Stahl's picture

I think it's "icy" that our coach has his own online dictionary from which one can get definitions of the latest street slang.

+2 HS
Danify's picture

Kids these days ... with their fancy words. What the heck happened! When did I become my father and can't understand the youth now a days... *mini-freak out over...*

+2 HS
bleedscarlet's picture

New unis would be cool... some bling to go with them would be better.

I'm too drunk to taste this chicken

Gametime's picture

I think Gray &/or Black Jerseys are on deck if they do it this year. People need to realize that the previous two sets of jerseys aren't "traditional", but just another set in the cycle. Nobody is wearing the same jerseys anymore, not even Penn St, Bama, Texas, etc. They kept the main elements, but there are plenty of updates - cut, fit, collars, stitches, number font, size, placement, etc.

I know people miss the gray in the sleeves, but to perfectly honest as I look back on it from a designer standpoint rather than a fan, it's actually a design element that's out of place. Gray sleeves with two black trimmed white stripes was traded in 06-07 for our actual "Block O" stripe that goes down our pants & helmet - it looks much better, but it was really small and not really bold enough.

Enter the new unis which emboldened the Block O stripe to the whole sleeve, the wider stripe on the helmet, the "traditional" green buckeye leaf stickers (they were bright green before they were dark), and the reflective gray numbers with all of our grays matching look awesome and should become the standard set and the others should be put to bed.

BUT, it would be cool to see them bring back the 02 jersey model, updated, as an ALT against TTUN.

Between goals and achievement is discipline and consistency. That fire you have inside to do whatever you love is placed there by God. Now go claim it. ~ Denzel Washington

+2 HS
TheBadOwl's picture

Heard from a friend - Black jerseys are not happening, sadly. Players all wanted it, but when they talked to former greats, the idea got shot down. Probably what Dontre's talking about here.

When I walked in this morning and saw the flag was at half mast I thought, "Alright, another bureaucrat ate it." but then I saw it was Li'l Sebastian. Half mast is too high. Show some damn respect.

+1 HS
The Clean North's picture

I do think we need to have Nike make us a sick all black uniform. That would wow everyone I think 

+4 HS
scottyp_330's picture

Any team with black in their colors, should have an all black alternative. Period. Tell the old timers to get on board because it will without a doubt elevate our recruiting.

TheBadOwl's picture

A friend of mine on the team said that the players all wanted to go with a black alt (similar to the one posted on here a while ago, I think it was by Gametime), but that the athletic department wouldn't let them because it went against tradition. 

When I walked in this morning and saw the flag was at half mast I thought, "Alright, another bureaucrat ate it." but then I saw it was Li'l Sebastian. Half mast is too high. Show some damn respect.

scottyp_330's picture

I don't see how get a black alternative is going to make us lose tradition. Ohio State is Ohio State. The name and culture is what triggers the word tradition in most kids heads. The uniform is just keeping up with demand and the times. We have different face masks these days other than the single bar face mask, does that take away from the sport. The keyword is "alternative".

+1 HS
scottyp_330's picture

Any team with black in their colors, should have an all black alternative. Period. Tell the old timers to get on board because it will without a doubt elevate our recruiting.

kmp10's picture

Leave the helmets alone and change the pant stripe back to accent the black; i.e. make the black part of the pant stripe thick again (think the Ginn, Troy Smith years or the 70s era teams prior to Earl Bruce uni changes). This black pinstripe stuff has gotta go… in my opinion. I have no clue what "icy" means, but I will say of the three parts that make up the uniform (helmet/jersey/pants) I would be the most flexible with the jersey. 

+1 HS
lljjgg's picture

Just something to note. I read an article recently where recruits were polled at a camp IRT their favorite uniforms, and while many mentioned Oregon, they also mentioned LSU (traditional), Michigan (traditional), and PSU (traditional). People like invention, but they also like traditional. Alabama has had the #1 consensus recruiting class every year since 2011 and they've had one alt uniform during that period (and even that was barely a change; the addition of the 'A' logo on their pants, a flag emblem on their right shoulder, and a diamond/block-A on their collar, no changes in color or anything else). New uniforms are nice and all, but what matters the most to recruits is what you do on the field. Oregon hasn't had a consensus recruiting class higher than #11 in 10+ years. 

I'm not saying OSU shouldn't wear alt uniforms, but I do think you can just as easily sell tradition as you can new/exciting looks.  

+3 HS
Gametime's picture

I'd actually separate them altogether.

Uniforms in general shouldn't even be considered part of "tradition" IMO. Our customs, our songs, our results on the field, etc. are completely separate. The only thing "tradition" has to do with the uniforms is that they contain some form of scarlet and gray.

And a lot of times, upgrades are better: check out reigning champion FSU's new digs:

Between goals and achievement is discipline and consistency. That fire you have inside to do whatever you love is placed there by God. Now go claim it. ~ Denzel Washington

+5 HS
lljjgg's picture

Completely understand and respect everything you said in this post.

All of that said, am I the only one who hates those new FSU uniforms? Everything down to the change in logo to me is a change for the worse. Conversely, I loved the alt (white) uniforms OSU wore for the Michigan game this year. So I'm not against all alt uniforms. Nor am I someone who mistakenly believes OSU's hasn't changed over the years, there has been quite a bit of change to the OSU home and away's throughout the years.

I do think it's hard to separate uniforms from tradition, though, when you consider that that is one of the first things people outside of a fanbase recognize/remember about a particular team/school. For example, I know very little about UF, but the blue & orange + "Gators" script and the gator head on their jersey sticks out to me. Same with USC, the cardinal & gold + the trojan on their helmet. Same with Texas and the white & burnt orange + the longhorn. While the fanbase itself has a strong sense of tradition tied into the myriad of things you mentioned (wins and losses, school song, etc.), for those outside the fanbase the uniform + colors is potentially the most identifiable element of a school's tradition. When applied to recruiting, you could argue it's then even more important to have a uniform tradition those kids are familiar with, as many of them may not be familiar with anything else about a team/university. It's an accessible starting point for them to then begin to investigate all of the traditions beyond that first point of entry (uniform traditions/what the team looks like). Just my 2 cents anyway, not necessarily disagreeing with you! I like alt uniforms myself.

Edit: No idea who gave you the -1. Silly and unnecessary!

+3 HS
SilverState's picture

As much as I dislike FSU, I think those unis are sweet. I do like the old logo better.

+2 HS
Gametime's picture

I agree with all of this! Yea I definitely think the obvious trademarks are part of the fabric of tradition and should definitely be "protected" so  to speak.

Others have to allow for those who are adding to the tradition to carve out their own piece of the tradition. I couldn't imagine what it would've been like to be the first guy strap on our iconic gray helmet or earn the first buckeye leaves!

Excellent points overall my friend!

+4 HS
lljjgg's picture

I know rule #1 is don't complain about downvotes, but whomever's downvoting you for these posts needs their voting ability redacted. +1 to even you out.

+3 HS
scottyp_330's picture

No those are icy lol

GlueFingers Lavelli's picture

Does anyone else miss college football before all the uniform craziness? I miss it when you knew who was playing at a glance of the screen. I feel the same way about all the new uniform stuff in football the same way I felt when all of those busy affliction shirts came out. Just too much going on, far too feminine for my taste. I prefer traditional bold colors on the football field. For some reason its just more appealing to me. I don't know why. I'm totally fine with Nike changing shoes, gloves, wristbands etc all the time, but I feel like the uniforms should be preserved. Especially for iconic programs with a ton of tradition. The Oregon's and Baylor's of the world need a gimmick to grab eyeballs.

Just my opinion, might not be popular with the younger fans, but the OP wanted opinions.

Dustin Fox was our leading tackler as a corner.... because his guy always caught the ball.

+3 HS
bigtenspeed's picture

Totally agree. We don't need a gimmick. The idea of black jerseys sickens me.

-1 HS
Buckeyevstheworld's picture

The idea of black jerseys sickens me.

It's not that serious. :/

"YOLO" = I'm about to do something extremely ignorant/stupid & I need an excuse to do it.

+2 HS
Buckeyevstheworld's picture
I love the uniforms Ohio State wore against Michigan.

"YOLO" = I'm about to do something extremely ignorant/stupid & I need an excuse to do it.

+7 HS
Gametime's picture

Agreed. I'd love to see what those look like with the new gray pants too. 

+1 HS
JohnnyKozmo's picture

Yup-dig the all white (big fan of Texas and PSU away unis too).

buckeyedude's picture

I just so dig those Buckeye helmets with the bold, wide stripe. I wish they would become the standard. The only problem: they can't fit as many helmet stickers on them. Ah well.

+1 HS
Soggy_McMuffin's picture

It's the helmet for me. That helmet is badass!!

Gooz-fra-bah...

+1 HS
TheVictoryBell45's picture

We need to bring back the GREY STRIPES on the home jersey sleeves. Our regular home uniforms are so basic with the white and black stripes. Ohio State should wear the home jerseys of the Eddie George era with the shiny grey pants. 

We don't even wear our regular home uniforms for big games anymore because they're average. Bring back the grey stripes! 

+2 HS
BuckeyeNationforLife's picture

"Hey bro why not? They're sick"

+1 HS
Floyd Stahl's picture

Please tell me this isn't real ...

osu407's picture

I wish we'd combine the black facemask of the shiny alt helmets with the normal helmet for a subtle modernization that keeps tradition.

Baroclinicity's picture

Gray on the sleeves.

* ducks *

When you're holding a hammer, everything looks like a nail.

+7 HS
Eph97's picture

I think the three midwest powers' unis are the best in college football. OSU, UM, and ND. Every change to these uniforms is for the worse.

I like what Oregon does with its unis, but thats because I don't associate their normal unis with anything. 

Sometimes no change is for the best. I think all the pro-combat unis Nike has done look lame compared to the traditional OSU getup.

+1 HS
11UrbzAndSpices's picture

Ohio State has countless traditions. We don't need something new and flashy every 5 minutes.

Oregon has no tradition (besides Nike making it rain money. They have flashy unis...(same goes for Baylor, and others who escape me right now)

That's how I see it. I don't hate new uniforms, I just think they're pointless. I do like chrome helmets at night!!

Cardale Jones. Cardale Jones! CARDALE JONES!!

Seattle Linga's picture

These are U of Indy - what do you think?

Edit - Epic fail sorry

OnlyOne's picture

We can go with Under Armor and do the state flag thing!

Actual like the Maryland uniforms.

Hate the collars on the Nike jerseys, the wide stripes on the helmet and the white pants.

Like scarlet jerseys with the black numbers on the sleeves.

Poison nuts's picture

Don't get me wrong, I like reading everything there is on 11W, but it's funny how this years "offseason uniform thread" says exactly the same thing as last years, which says the same thing as the year before, etc, etc...and that's fine - I'm not complaining, just noting how similar these things always are.

"Do not pass me, just slow down - I can move right through you" Superchunk - Precision Auto.

+1 HS
buckeyetodd's picture

Alternate uni's bring in alternate bucks. Just do it.

ToddT

BucksFan2000's picture

No offense to any current player, but what is he talking about?  Nike has made many changes over the years, plus they're incorporating alternate jerseys/helmets multiple times each season now.  Does any B1G school have better unis than OSU?

Also, keeping things a little plain isn't hurting Bama.  I'd say 'noting to see here'.

As for ND, I've already heard their fans complain about the high cost of their new UA stuff.  Not that Nike is cheap, but UA stuff has always seemed overpriced to me.

+1 HS
Gametime's picture

That's because UA was pretty much a pioneer in their lane. I mean almost all body gear is referred to as "under armor" by default, even if it's Nike or Adidas.

I think they'll be happy with UA's design team though. Adidas is just flat out awful.

Still, remember when Nike had that limited run of "Blackout" jerseys for Ohio State? Well apparently the Tide had some of those too and they had the same mixed responses that we do. A lot of fans want to see it from Bama, and then there are those (not unlike here) who feel like it's a tradition issue, although Bama has experimented with the "hounds-tooth" pattern in the past as homage to the pattern on the great Bear Bryant's fedora. 

tennbuckeye19's picture

If OSU got some Icy Hot uniforms, Shaq could model them for everyone...

+1 HS
ShawneeBuck74's picture

Look, I don't want to be Oregon - because that's a clown show. Half of their uni's are cool. The other half are ridiculous. 

However, let's not pretend that tOSU uniforms have always been the same.  I like some of the variations on throwbacks (I liked the white helmut, red-stripe, black number 50s throwback).  I wish we had grey on our jersey sleeves like we used to have in the 90s and early 2000s.  

Point being - (1) jerseys have always changed (2) college football has always changed and (3) recruiting matters & it has changed

We would do well to be proactive about the change in an "Ohio State way."  We don't need to pander (Oregon) and we don't need to look foolish to standout (Maryland or any adidas school).  This kind of change can still represent the great tradition that is Ohio State in a good way.  Change doesn't have to be abrupt or drastic. Adaptability is a good trait for survival.  

I feel confident that we have some designers who "get" Ohio State culture and could make these changes in a proactive and positive way. 

You win with people. 

+1 HS
Furious George 27's picture

For the traditionalist, OSU has had a tradition of changing the uniforms.

Yeah, well…that’s just like, your opinion, man.

+2 HS
Bugsyk's picture

Changing of a stripe, or number size is different i.e. more of a tweak.  Going from scarlet and gray to all black is a bigger deal.  While it may or may not help recruiting, it also may or may not polarize your alumni base - and no one in the athletic dept will bite the feeding hand without more empirical economic evidence of the upside.  Probably the reason for the uniform brand enhancement vs complete re-branding.

Jeeves's picture

How about we get back to the tradition of winning Big Ten titles? Now that would be "icy".

+2 HS
Jbuckham94's picture

I think the most important thing we can take from all of this is that Dontre is going to graduate in three years.

Not sure if sarcasm font is necessary. But for what??

Class of 2016. Go Bucks!

whiskeyjuice's picture

Huh?

"Championships are not won on Saturdays in November. Championships are won on Tuesdays in August." -- Kerry Combs