Ohio State Football Forum

Ohio State Football Forum

Ohio State football talk.

Who will be Mich*gan's next head coach?

TheVictoryBell45's picture
June 20, 2014 at 7:30am
84 Comments

Let's assume that Brady Hoke gets fired after this upcoming season. Who will be their next coach? 

I think Les Miles is a good possibility. A lot of LSU faithful haven't been as appreciative of what he's done there as they probably should be, mainly because their ex coach has been dominant at Alabama. If he has another non SEC title year he'll begin to feel some pressure and that could propel him to Ann Arbor. 

Oyster's picture

Why don't we all keep a positive attitude that he won't be fired.

(also, he gets another year regardless.  They won't fire him after one year with a new OC)

May you R.I.P. Otsego, but know this. Gaylord Rocks!

+20 HS
TheTeam16's picture

Less than 9 wins and he is gone, trust me. 

-2 HS
Oyster's picture

I've read your posts, I'll go with my instincts instead...

+3 HS
logamaniac's picture

I would say if he sticks around it will be more so because Brandon doesnt want to admit he made a mistake when he didnt offer Harbaugh everything he could to get him originally.  a new OC doesnt matter if its evident your team quits on you.

s.pasadena fl's picture

Stoops / From KY.

Ed Hopper

+2 HS
Buckeyevstheworld's picture

After another 2-10 season? I'm fine with that. The meltdown on Mgo would be magnificent. XD

"YOLO" = I'm about to do something extremely ignorant/stupid & I need an excuse to do it.

+6 HS
scottyp_330's picture

Stoops is a hell of a coach. Would hate to see him at the team up north. He's been putting in major work at Kentucky I think he's there to change the culture. I don't see him leaving for a few years.

sox33osu's picture

Mark Stoops has recruited well and then underwhelmed as an actual coach on the field.

He would be a perfect fit at ttun.

+3 HS
scottyp_330's picture

Hahah well when you put it like that. Sure is lol

+2 HS
jamesrbrown322's picture

No one I hope. Brady Joke is the greatest thing to happen to Ohio State since Troy Smith.

"I can accept failure, but I cannot accept not trying." - W.W. Hayes

+6 HS
TheTeam16's picture

Nah that was RR. At least BH has a 1-2 record against OSU and a BCS win. 

-4 HS
BuckeyeNationforLife's picture

But you're wrong. Under Rich Rod, TTUN had a better record every year, and I really think if they hadn't used him as a scapegoat then he could've been doing good at this point. But they fired him and brought in Hoke who had a pretty good first year with all of Rich Rod's players, and so they said just wait till Hoke gets his players, but they've gotten worse and worse the further they get out from the RR era.

+2 HS
jamesrbrown322's picture

What no one wants to admit is that if TP had gone to Michigan, he would have saved RichRod's job.

+3 HS
BuckeyeNationforLife's picture

All it would've taken was one recruiting homerun for him.

TheTeam16's picture

Venture a guess as to what would have happened to RR if he would have stayed in AA up until this year...I can tell you he had no magical fix for only recruiting 2 offensive linemen in 3 classes. It would have been the same old story.

Nah that was RR. At least BH has a 1-2 record against OSU

Even Rich Rod would have been able to beat the 2011 Buckeyes. That one year made Hoke look better than he actually is.

"YOLO" = I'm about to do something extremely ignorant/stupid & I need an excuse to do it.

+3 HS
TheTeam16's picture

No he would not have. Did you see our defense under RR?

-1 HS

Have you seen Michigan's D against Ohio State the last 3 years? Even with Mattison, they haven't really slowed Ohio State down.

buckeyedude's picture

The Hamburgler. <enter appropriate gif>

And James Brown: I thought RichRod was pretty good for OSU. He lifted me up.

+7 HS
jamesrbrown322's picture

I don't know how the administration would handle this scandal...

+8 HS
LouGroza's picture

Looks like a good one to me. No headset. Lots of cheer leading.

+5 HS
toad1204's picture

Narduzzi or Stoops depending on how soon it happens.

Nothing like dancing on the field in 02... 

+2 HS
SwagstonMiller's picture

How sweet would it be if they had to get their next head coach from "Little Brother"?! 

+3 HS
IH8UOFM's picture

The meltdown would be epic in EL

+1 HS
MichiganBuckeye222's picture

that would be awesome!  Sparty tears would be awesome.

Representing the Buckeyes in the Mitten State since 1987.

www.septemberheisman.com

DannyBeane's picture

Although he'd never come back no matter how much money they'd throw at him; I'd personally be up for bringing back Rich Rod. I loved that guy.

+2 HS
sharks's picture

Hopefully not a Harbaugh

The postgame show is brought to you by... Christ, I can't find it. The hell with it...

+4 HS
Seattle Linga's picture

Jimbo Harbaugh is having contract issues now - he could be leaving Frisco next year and ttun will throw a cash machine at him.Fans here in Seattle can't stand him now and his foolish acts.

+3 HS
CTBuckeyeFan's picture

There will be a few NFL teams ahead of scUM in line for Jim's services if San Fran lets him walk.

+3 HS
TheTeam16's picture

Except none of those teams will pay as much as UM will.

-2 HS
Scarlet_Lutefisk's picture

You'd think the last two coaching searches would have served as an object lesson.

+1 HS
BuckeyeLurker0509's picture

i think itll be one of these 4

Kirby Smart

Gary Patterson (would be a great fit imo)

Chad Morris

Derek Mason

+2 HS
DannyBeane's picture

AS awesome as Gary Patterson is he is not a "Michigan Man" *barf*. I'm pretty sure one of the pre-requisites is going to be having ties to either Michigan or the State of Ohio.

+2 HS
osu07asu10's picture

Chad Morris would be the best one I've heard in all of the speculation.

However, I think Michigan will not want to go back to a spread style offense after the RichRod debacle and the types of players that Hoke has recruited aren't ideal for the spread (not saying it can't work). It's unfortunate too because I think Morris will make a great HC one day.

"They don't know what they don't know." - Coach Mick

+1 HS
BuckeyeRick's picture

Has anyone seen Mike Hunt?

+2 HS
buckeyeboy31's picture

running around with Harry Bush, no?

Seattle Linga's picture

I thought he was with Holden McGroin

toledobuckeyefanjim's picture

Do you mean Mike Hart? That little pipsqueak yapper would be perfect for the declining program up there.

Hovenaut's picture

Honestly - does it matter?

I think as long as Dave Brandon (the irony of his last name has to get to some of their fans) is there, that program will not live up to standard.

"Success...it's what you do with what you got" - Woody Hayes

+2 HS
TheTeam16's picture

Brandon is killing the gameday experience, but he doesnt have too much say in what does on with the team. I dont think he is involved in scheming or anything like that. 

The thing is, he is killing the experience. Less ticket sales, less revenue over all...something will have to change and UM just got a new Pres. Brandon has made it know he wants to run for governor someday. If this downward trend in ticket sales continues the new prez will kick him. 

Everyone in my family that has money to spare is a UM booster, and many of them have told me how much they dislike him along with other rumblings. Wouldn't be surprised if he is out in less than 3 years. 

+2 HS
chitown buckeye's picture

Herman?? Would hate to see it but at the same time love to see a modern day 10 yr war! For some sick reason I want to know what it felt like to the fans when Bo went up North.

"I'm having a heart attack!"

Oyster's picture

Earle can tell you.  He had just returned from his tour in Vietnam.

+3 HS
osu07asu10's picture

Anyone but Tom Herman...

"They don't know what they don't know." - Coach Mick

+7 HS
Iwearmocs's picture

Miles is too old.  LSU will be his last job.  They'll throw everything at Harbaugh, but probably fail again, before turning to someone else. Maybe Narduzzi?  Not sure if they'll be over their michigan man thing yet.

+2 HS
Buckeye Beast's picture

Yeah but Bo Schembechler himself was never associated with Michigan before they hired him, so sometimes you gotta search outside the box.

It's 5 o'clock somewhere, & Michigan still sucks

+3 HS
Seattle Linga's picture

They better search outside b/c inside is pretty empty.

+4 HS
Iwearmocs's picture

Schembechler was the guy who started that quote I think.  Since then everyone other then RichRod has had Michigan ties for some reason.

+1 HS
CTBuckeyeFan's picture

So Ace Williams really thinks John Harbaugh will resign as the Ravens HC to coach at scUM?  Seriously?!?!?!?!

Outside of that fail, please god let it be #10 on his list:

10. Lloyd Carr, retired Michigan head coach

Far-fetched? Not as much as you would imagine. Carr still has ‘it’ and would be able to coach the team for 3-5 years while grooming a replacement internally. Bill Snyder of Kansas State is 5 years older than Carr (Carr is 68) and returned to KSU with a bang after 3 seasons of retirement. KSU has been to 2 BCS games since Snyder un-retired.

This would be a bit wacky, but, do NOT count this out as a possibility. It has legs.

+4 HS
AndyVance's picture

As much as I want Les Miles to come back "home" and coach That Team Up North - God, can you imagine those glorious press conferences???? - the prospect of Lloyd Carr coming back actually intrigues me. He was a good foil - kept the team respectable, lost to Coach Tressel predictably, and gave some great halftime answers to stupid reporter questions.

+2 HS
TheTeam16's picture

And he beat Meyer, it is too perfect. 

+1 HS
Poison nuts's picture

Hey Andy - he lost to Tressel with Ok St, but...uh...he did beat him in this one other game.

Edit - oops - thought you were talking about Miles that whole time - because I can't read words real good!

"Death created time to grow the things that it would kill" - Detective Rustin Cohle.

+2 HS

Jerry Moore would be a better 'out of retirement' get than Lloyd.

MichiganBuckeye222's picture

7. Les Miles, head coach, LSU

Michigan just never seems to pursue Les very hard, even though it would be the perfect fit. Rumors of an affair with former Michigan coach Gary Moeller’s wife have long dogged Miles, speculating many to think that AD Dave Brandon dislikes Les and has nicknamed him “Loose Morals”.

never heard this one....

Representing the Buckeyes in the Mitten State since 1987.

www.septemberheisman.com

+2 HS
sox33osu's picture

Have you ever seen Miles' wife?

Oyster's picture

A certain Aerosmith song comes to mind.

+1 HS
sox33osu's picture

His daughter though... would

+2 HS
MAVBuck's picture

Bill Sheridan? 

Just started with Detroit but he's been known to move around (as we know all too well!) and has some Michigan ties.

+1 HS
DrSpaceman's picture

Lane Kiffin.... please please please.

"Medicine is not a science" - Leo Spaceman

+5 HS
saltybuck61's picture

This needs to happen. That would be the greatest coaching decision of all time.

TheTeam16's picture

Les wont be HC as long as the current booster president and LLLLLLLLLLLLLoyd are still around. Won't happen.

It will be one of the brothers, laugh all you want and call me a lunatic. UM will make them the highest paid, or second highest paid coach in the country. It would have happened last time around if it wasn't Jim's dream to experience coaching in the NFL. 

-3 HS

It would have happened last time around if it wasn't Jim's dream to experience coaching in the NFL.

It was not going to happen.

+2 HS
Groveport Heisman's picture

Its pretty wildly known that Jim and the powers to be up North do not get along. They like to make themselves believe he just wanted a taste at the NFL and honestly think he is coming home to build a legacy. Last time I seen nothing has been done to repair the broken relationships and there are several NFL teams that would surely pay him more then *ichigan. Anyone that thinks up North is ready to pay a coach more then the highest paid NFL coach is obviously out of touch with reality and living on dreams.

Mark my words..I don't need acceptance. I'm catching interceptions on you innocent pedestrians.

TheTeam16's picture

Yeah it isn't like we have the secind highest revenue AD in the B1G (next to Wisconsin) or anything...

We probably cant afford it...

Yeah it isn't like we have the secind highest revenue AD in the B1G (next to Wisconsin) or anything...

Look at AD revenue over a period of years rather than just last year's numbers. You'll find that Wisconsin isn't actually the highest grossing AD in the B1G.

It has nothing to do with money.

+1 HS
faux_maestro's picture
It will be one of the brothers, laugh all you want and call me a lunatic. UM will make them the highest paid, or second highest paid coach in the country. It would have happened last time around if it wasn't Jim's dream to experience coaching in the NFL. 

Inní mér syngur vitleysingur

+2 HS
jamesrbrown322's picture

I vote this guy, just for the press conferences. Plus, he has a connection to "OSU."

+4 HS
e135800's picture
+4 HS
Hovenaut's picture

Sorry, I didn't really answer the question...

"Success...it's what you do with what you got" - Woody Hayes

+6 HS
Eph97's picture

Who cares? OSU will still own  them. If they do fire Hoke, I just hope its a coach that runs a spread so they have to undergo another 5 year rebuilding plan.

JDunc686's picture

Jim McElwain, HC at Colorado St...because as they say at scUM, if you can almost win in the mighty Mountain West, then you're the man for us!

OSU069's picture

But Hoke didn't even almost win. He was .500 in the Mountain West.

makearuckus's picture

joker phillips . sry had too

"Woody's style was strength-on-strength, will-on-will, toughness-on-toughness." Woody's philosophy was, "I will pound you and pound you until you quit."

MikeTheBuckeye's picture

I see a lot of people wishing Michigan picks up another disaster of a coach and even more hoping BH stays. Am I the only one who wants to see them succeed in finding a real coach? I want the level of competition in the B1G to increase. As great as it is to finish every single regular season undefeated, I can't stand hearing how far ahead the SEC is compared to the rest of the world. 

-1 HS
JDunc686's picture

I'm all for an increase in competition, but I want scUM to lose every single game, by 100 points

+4 HS
osu407's picture

I think Michigan could get stuck in a pattern of choosing a Michigan Man every other coach rather than every single coach. After Hoke fails they will clamor to find a winner, whether connected to Michigan or not. Once that coach alienates everyone they will return to whining for a Michigan Man who understands their legacy. 

+2 HS
1MechEng's picture

Just a thought ... why would Nussmeier move from Alabama O.C. to Michigan O.C., unless they convinced him he's the next man up after Hoke?!

Oyster's picture

My guess is that he was told to look for a job since they were bringing Kiffin in.  When an outsider shows up to "assist and evaluate" the job you have, the signs are all there that your seat is about to be pulled out from under you.

+3 HS
KevinJ's picture

I agree with Oyster

As far as UM paying more than a good NFL franchise, that's just crazy talk especially for a head coach that is a proven difference maker. College football is big money but the NFL is on a whole nother level. I personally hope that Hoke gets to stick around another year or 2, that dumpster fire he fielded last year was a joy to watch.

+1 HS
Buck Commander's picture

PHILIP ENIS

Every time I set my DVR to record Biggest Loser......It always records Wolverine Football Games!