Ohio State Football Forum

Ohio State Football Forum

Ohio State football talk.

Trey Johnson?

WezBuck28's picture
June 9, 2014 at 12:48pm
20 Comments

I'm sorry if this has been discussed, my brain is mush at the moment and don't recall hearing his name lately..with our LB haul this past recruiting season, and the emergence of Kwon and Lee, and some of the big names we are after again for this class, what are Trey's chances of seeing the field? I know there were some issues with him, is he a potential transfer candidate?

Gametime's picture

He's competing with Darron Lee for the Sam position. As of now, it seems that Lee is in the driver seat for the starting role. Trey apparently wasn't matching Lee's work ethic through the winter/spring.

...I too dream in color and in rhyme
So I guess I'm one of a kind in a full house
Cause whenever I open my heart, my soul or my mouth
A touch of God rains out...

+2 HS
buckguyfan1's picture

So often it's the "Who" not the "What".

osu07asu10's picture

I certainly wouldn't label him a potential transfer candidate.

He backed up Shazier at the WILL last year with Josh Perry playing the SAM spot. Now Perry has shifted over to the WILL which does leave some questions about Johnson.

But we're pretty thin at LB as it is and the shift in philosophy is going more away from the "SAM" strong side backer to a "walk out linebacker" who is quicker and has more coverage capabilities. That is what has ultimately led to the rise of Darron Lee and Chris Worley.

So I guess it is two-fold. He lost a head-to-head battle with Josh Perry, and a switch in philosophy is calling for a smaller/quicker linebacker in place of the SAM backer or switching to Nickel.

What this does do is keep 3 LB on the field more and makes depth all the more important. My guess is that Johnson is firmly entrenched as the #2 WILL linebacker until freshman arrive in the fall and challenge him.

Trey still has a bright future as a buckeye!

"They don't know what they don't know." - Coach Mick

+5 HS
WezBuck28's picture

Good deal..would hate to see dude leave..I don't remember seeing or hearing his name called during the spring game either?

+2 HS
osu07asu10's picture

Can't say if I saw/heard him or not. Then again we use the spring game every year to knock the rust off the ole' tailgate and make sure we're good for the Fall. I was pretty lit up and also relaxed as it was a buckeye victory all around.

I think the importance placed on recruiting and recruiting rankings leads to a real urgency for players to contribute from day 1. Every player is different but I would say cracking the two deep as a freshman and seeing spot duty throughout the year is a pretty solid start to his career.

He is just a true sophomore. He has plenty of time to develop and have the light click for him. Just needs to stay hungry and want it.

"They don't know what they don't know." - Coach Mick

+2 HS
Squirrel Master's picture

I think its best if we refrain from speculating who will transfer and who isn't.

I saw a UFO once.......it told me to have a goodyear!

+16 HS
WezBuck28's picture

I agree, I just knew he had some issues, and others have been stepping up, and the lack of hearing his name just made me wonder if something was going on that's all..I though for sure he would be in the 2 deep from day one, but things happen..

Jbucks's picture

DBL Post- sorry

Light shines in the darkness and the darkness has not overcome it-John 1:5 SEC meet Ohio State, Ohio State meet SEC

Jbucks's picture

if he ever wants to start, especially if he is getting outworked, put him in Bosa's back pocket & make him shadow a really hard worker!! Tre has gotta step it up he has the potential but potential doesnt get you on the field

Light shines in the darkness and the darkness has not overcome it-John 1:5 SEC meet Ohio State, Ohio State meet SEC

otrain2416's picture

Seems like he's getting left behind right now to kids who are working harder than him. From the sound of it after spring ball, MIKE is a battle between Grant and Kwon, WILLs a battle between Lee and Worley, Perry has SAM locked down with Williams possible Trey fighting for a backup roll there. Not to mention Booker, Berger, and Hubbard are going to be coming in hungry for playing time. 

-1 HS
WezBuck28's picture

This is exactly what made me being this up..to me it seems like he is on the outside looking in..

otrain2416's picture

It appears that way as of now. Who knows, he could turn it around in the spring or summer and be starting for us in the fall. By Meyers philosophy it all starts with special teams and you work your way up. 

Squirrel Master's picture

actually they switched. Perry is the new Will and Lee is the leader for the new SAM.

Trey was supposed to be penciled in at the new SAM spot but Lee busted out during spring while Trey had a rough spring.

I say at the moment Lee and Trey will end up splitting time until one takes over permanently. Then who knows. I don't see Worley starting just yet, he still needs to grow into more of a linebacker.

Hubbard is the future, Berger will be a two deep at the very least after this year and Booker might challenge Perry early if not beat him out next year.

I see the starters this year being Lee, Perry and McMillan.

I saw a UFO once.......it told me to have a goodyear!

+1 HS
WesPatterson23's picture

Actually this is the current depth chart ( the non-early enrollees)

Mike: Curtis Grant, Raekwon McMillan, Camren Williams

Will: Joshua Perry, Trey Johnson, (Dante Booker, Kyle Berger)

Sam: Darron Lee, Chris Worley, Devan Bogard , (Sam Hubbard)

+2 HS
corveyer's picture

I have never read the situation to be a work ethic thing.  He cracked the two deep as a true freshman,  obviously our lack of depth contributed to that, but it still isn't something to overlook.  I don't think Perry moving to Will (if thats what it is even called anymore) say's anything about Johnson's inability to play to there, and more has everything to do with our scheme shift and Perry being a better fit.   My understanding is that the Will now factors in much more in run defense, while the Sam (i.e. walk out backer spot) will be heavily involved in pass coverage.  Given that, shifting Perry makes since.  Beyond that, Lee and Worley are more suited to playing in coverage, as they are much more your hybrid "star" type linebacker which quarters coverage will need.   Granted, it did sound like Lee and Worley both busted thier ass and are earning a shot, that said, I never got the sense in reading spring practice reports that Johnson was in the dog house or anything like that.  Frankly, I would be surprised if you don't see Johnson in place of Lee/Worley in the more traditional looks 4-3 base looks we are accustomed too.  I say that now before the other 3 prize backers from the incoming class are on campus, so maybe you will see Berger and or Booker.  To me, seeing where Johnson sits after training camp will be much more telling than anything to date.  I think it is also worth mentioning that I see our linebackers as a pretty fluid situation right now.  It bears keeping in mind that alot of the scheme that they put in during the spring is all new, although it did seem they were dumbing it down to pair with Urban's effort mantra.   However, I will not be shocked at all if things are very different on day one than they are now as far as our starters.

Soggy_McMuffin's picture

I saw that Lee changed his number to 11. Did Bell switch to seven!! Liked Lee in the 43 for some reason!!!

Gooz-fra-bah...

buckeyeguy0615's picture

OMG!!! I'M TOO EXCITED!!

jamesrbrown322's picture

I was disappointed to not hear much positive about him. This is probably because I, like many of you, was stoked at the possibility of Having Mitchell, McMillan, and John starting by the end of 2014, and then for for more years, rising to the level of Hawk-Carpenter-Schlagel. However, the pipe on that dream bursts shortly after the Orange Bowl.

It's like he says in Jerry Maguire (paraphrasing) - Prospects are like popcorn kernels. Some pop, and some don't.

"I can accept failure, but I cannot accept not trying." - W.W. Hayes