Ohio State Football Forum

Ohio State Football Forum

Ohio State football talk.

Terrelle Pryor wants to come back home

BlockO's picture
June 9, 2014 at 8:18am
31 Comments
kmp10's picture

Great read… I'll tell you what, boys, I'm 50 years old and one of the absolute facts of this life is that life isn't fair. Like Rocky said; this world is a "very mean and nasty place, and I don't care how tough you are, it will beat you to your knees and keep you there permanently if you let it." Tressel, Pryor and Ohio State took a helluva beating over what should have been a slap on the wrist… relatively speaking. It's to their credit, Tressel and Pryor specifically, that they've moved on and refuse to be bitter about the entire, ridiculous affair. They've refused to let it beat them. They're winners and they've come out on top. FUNCAA!

+15 HS
BlockO's picture

That's some wisdom.

"faith seeking understanding” (fides quaerens intellectum)

+2 HS
MAVBuck's picture

Thanks for sharing. Good article. As time passes I think he'll be more than accepted back on campus. As it is I know I have even changed a lot of my thoughts on TP. Is he in my top 10 favorite Buckeyes? No, but looking at numbers alone the guy did a lot for the university and deserves whatever accolades come his way. 

+3 HS
umbyosu's picture

The Tuesday "prison" interview with Ray Small should be interesting - I'm not sure what positives for a program that has moved on from this will come out of it.

+1 HS
I_Run_The_Dave's picture

Something along the lines of "Good Riddance".  Probably.

+3 HS
IH8UOFM's picture

I would love to think that TP had his "epiphany" and has turned a corner personally and professionally. I have a lot of fond memories of him and hope to see him back in some capacity at some point.

+5 HS
Barnsey69's picture

I am a forgiving person by nature, so I've already made my peace with the Tat5 & Coach Tressel. I might have even moistened up a bit when the 2002 team was honored and ol' Jimmy hitched a ride on the shoulders of his players. Pryor was, and still is, a remarkable athlete, and a 5-year ban from campus does not cancel the Buckeye for life contract extended to alumni, players, coaches, et al. I'm sure if TP walks out on the field at some point there will be some boos, but to be cliche', time does heal most wounds, and in retrospect the transgressions seem pretty silly. Buckeye Nation should welcome all of those players back in the fold with time served...it's the right thing to do.

Thank the Maker that I was born in Ohio, cradle of coaches, US Presidents, confederate-stomping Generals, and home of The Ohio State University Football Buckeyes!

+5 HS
RedStorm45's picture

Did Schilicter sign that Buckeye for Life contract?  (not comparing the two, just didn't know if it applied to ALL OSU athletes?)

osu07asu10's picture

I think there is some fine print in that contract that says something along the lines of forfeiture of buckeye for life status after 10th chance and subsequent dick up.

"They don't know what they don't know." - Coach Mick

+1 HS
Barnsey69's picture

I think it does apply to all OSU athletes, yes. However, if said athlete/individual has committed crimes against society or harmed others, than perhaps that contract is voided. None of the Tat5, except Small, falls into that category at present. They are all in the doghouse because they broke the rules of a dysfunctional organization that provides horrifically inconsistent and flawed oversight for D-1 college sports in this country...

And incidentally, Maurice Clarett did commit criminal offenses, but has thus far served his time and stayed out of trouble, so even former Buckeyes that serve time can be re-instated as it were, as "Buckyes for life".

One man's opinion.

Thank the Maker that I was born in Ohio, cradle of coaches, US Presidents, confederate-stomping Generals, and home of The Ohio State University Football Buckeyes!

+1 HS
luckynutz's picture

The difeference between clarett and small is this...clarett saw the damage he left in his wake, took accountability and used it as a chance to rehabilitate himself. And he has continued to pay forward the life lessons learned through all of it.

Guys like small and schlichter have shown they just dont get. Well, in all fairness, small is still fairly young. One can only hope his latest mistake will be the one that turns on the proverbial light bulb and helps him get back on track. Interested to see what he has to say in his interview.

+2 HS
BuckWylde's picture

What "wounds" are there for time to heal? The pious attitudes of most of the posters here border on sickening. TP was one hell of a buckeye QB that did the university proud with his on-field performance. His 31 and 4 record as a starter remains the best ever at OSU.  The "Tat Gate" scandal is just the result of 5 kids (who got caught) suffering from the dreaded congenital disorder called "young and dumb" that has plagued college campuses throughout history. But please, . . .  don't regard the 5 year ban as anything more than a school covering it's own booty-crack from potential NCAA sanctions by making sure that there was no room for administrators under the proverbial bus. If things play out as hoped, Terrelle and crew will someday be seen as the unwitting anti-heroes that were indirectly responsible for ushering in the golden age of Urban Meyer. In light of recent comments by the NCAA investigator that covered "Tat-Gate", Gene Smith would look real good if he reversed the banishment of Pryor and the others and welcomed them back "home."  As a Buckeye fan that attended my first game in 1964, I can run down a long list of rule violations that were dealt with much less harshly by the school, . . . welcome home, Terrelle  

BuckWylde

+6 HS
sox33osu's picture

Extremely well-put BuckWylde

1MechEng's picture

Every supermodel gets a pimple once in a while.

Even an institution as fine as OSU will have some personnel blemishes- e.g. Art Schlicter and Ray Small.

You can acknowledge you had them, but they don't define the program, nor the beauty of the entire operation.

+2 HS
Hovenaut's picture

Time heals all wounds.

I think we're closer to the day where we're once again embracing TP, and reading the history pages about the NCAA as it used to be (with a big damn smirk on my face).

+1 HS
Seattle Linga's picture

Thanks for the article Block O - TP has been amazing since he arrived here in Seattle and the coaches here are really gitty over his athletic ability.

e135800's picture

Never hated TP. I think he got thrown under the bus actually. 

+7 HS
BroJim's picture

I would welcome Pryor back with open arms.

I season my simple food with hunger

+2 HS
doodah_man's picture

TP, the prodigal son...

Jim "DooDah" Day
It is hard to play dirty against a man who picks you up.

AGAB's picture

Great post BUCKWYLDE !!  I agree 100%.  I am proud of what TP accomplished on the field (3-0 vs. UM / 2-1 BCS Bowls)  and in the classroom (Academic All B1G status).  I never stopped being a TP fan, and I say "WELCOME BACK TP".

+3 HS
luckynutz's picture

I for one would have no problem with him being welcomed back after the disassociation is done. To have an athlete who has seen the consequences of his actions speak to current players about how quickly the tables can turn and unravel everything you worked for would be beneficial. Especially a guy like pryor, who a lot of these younger guys have seen play and idolized growing up.

+1 HS
FROMTHE18's picture

Given the severity, or lack there of, of what he actually did, I welcome him back to Cbus with open arms. I hope he is less of a douche now than he was, but either way, he did some great things on the field and is a part of the Buckeye family.

+2 HS
The Rill Dill's picture

He did some stupid shit as a 17-21 year old kid.  He has learned from it.  Welcome home, son.  He was a Buckeye LEGEND on the field......a true STUD player.  He has never been gone, in my mind.  The whole thing is over, and we'll end up better for it.  Go Bucks!!

logamaniac's picture

how do you know he's learned from it?  because he says so?

I don't hold anything against TP, he was a heck of a college football player and Ill remember the good he did.  However ill remember how big of a dick he was as well but it doesn't matter "See, there's three kinds of people: dicks, pussies, and assholes..."

-1 HS
sox33osu's picture

How do you know he hasn't? I'm more than willing to give the benefit of the doubt to a kid that gave all of himself for 3 of the best consecutive years of Buckeye football in history. If he wants to come back, he has earned it.

+1 HS
logamaniac's picture

why do you have to give him a benefit of a doubt?  cant you just welcome him back as a football player?  thats all im saying, i dont care about his past transgressions he performed on the field and he deserves to be remembered for that.  However, if people still want to hold grudges because he was (and he really really really was) a giant asshole thats fine but it shouldnt prevent him from being able to be around the program if the coaches are cool with it.  Theres a lot of giant assholes in the osu student body too.

-1 HS
sox33osu's picture

I kind of thought the act of welcoming him back, regardless of in which capacity, was giving him the benefit of the doubt. The overwhelming majority of people aren't going to still hold a grudge against him and applaud him in the same second.

logamaniac's picture

you don't need to cherish the quality of person while embracing the memory of the production on the field.  I personally don't care if he's changed (i doubt he has) I still fondly remember his playing days.  Even if sometimes he was a prima donna on the field he brought in a lot of wins.  my argument is only that why should anyone care about what kind of person he is as long as he's on the straight and narrow, do we really care if he's kissing babies and presiding over church ceremonies?  

sox33osu's picture

I'm not trying to argue that point. All I'm saying is when most people hold a personal grudge against someone, they don't applaud their accomplishments. I think we have the same argument in regards to your final sentence, so it seems we're on the same page.

airbuckeye's picture

I never did hold anything against any of the players or JT because as far as im concerned it was their own items they worked for and earned. Just like having a yard sale and selling your own stuff that was there choice. Stupid ass rule to begain with set up by a bunch of rich ass men who make millons off these kids then have the nerve to tell them what they can do with their own thing.

As far as JT he was told by the Feds to keep his mouth shut about the investaction and the NCAA is going to set there and question him for that. Bet you 100 to 1 if anyone on the board of the ncaa was told to keep their mouth shut by the FEDS everyone of them would do the same.

What fool is going to run off and open their mouth and take the chance of going behind bars for telling the feds try and shut me up or you can kiss my a$$ because im running to the NCAA and rat out my players and the NCAA will protect me from you. YEA RIGHT.