Ohio State Football Forum

Ohio State Football Forum

Ohio State football talk.

Sparty doesn't want night games

TMac's picture
May 16, 2014 at 12:21pm
34 Comments

From an MLive Article yesterday, Sparty AD, Mark Hollis wants to limit night games - or "The Anti- Urban Approach to scheduling"

"One is probably optimal for Spartan Stadium and if you get beyond that it becomes a challenge." - Mark Hollis 

I found it interesting in light of our November game at East Lansing not being on the Prime Time schedule. (at this point) 

BuckAlum35's picture

I think they have problems with their fans getting too drunk and causing issues. People I know from that miserable state have said that the people get just nasty sloppily drunk in East Lansing.

+4 HS
lsjSnail's picture

"hes a pussy" chants about Braxton when they are sober, who knows what will happen after their 20th Miller water lite.

+1 HS
tussey's picture

When you aren't used to them, it can be really bad.  Purdue is a great example.  All there games are usually played at noon, and they get up and start drinking at like 6am for "breakfast club"  now if you give them a night game, they still start drinking at 6am and are blackout by kickoff.

+1 HS
FloridaBuck's picture

Dude we have kegs and eggs at like 430 in the morning at zigs (or whatever the name changed to now).  College kids get drunk at football games.  It happens. 

+4 HS
dubjayfootball90's picture

LIES!!!

You can feed a bobcat all the chili it wants. That don't mean it's going to crap out diamonds.

+1 HS
teddyballgame's picture

You'd think after their best season in ages they'd have a little confidence.  Stick to your noon kickoffs on the BTN then...sparty gonna sparty.

+1 HS
DudeNick4's picture

I'm not sure why MSU wouldn't embrace the national exposure.

+1 HS
Buckeyevstheworld's picture

Because Ohio State type pressure isn't meant for programs like MSU.

"YOLO" = I'm about to do something extremely ignorant/stupid & I need an excuse to do it.

+12 HS
chirobuck's picture

this is exactly right......its what I thought as soon as I read the thread title, they are better off under the radar

^ best post ever ^

Ahh Saturday's picture

Unfortunately, the Buckeyes couldn't handle "Ohio State pressure" last year either.  In fact, the main reason they lost to Sparty is because they couldn't handle the pressure as well as Sparty did. Losing is a bitter pill, but you either swallow it, or look like a fool trying to talk with it still in your mouth.  Buckeyes get their shot at redemption on November 8th.  Until then trash talk sounds hollow. 

-4 HS

That had nothing to do with pressure. The D was just awful.

"YOLO" = I'm about to do something extremely ignorant/stupid & I need an excuse to do it.

+4 HS
Ahh Saturday's picture

Obviously neither of us can know for sure what the emotional state of the team was during that game so it's not really an argument worth having.  Still, the reason I blame it on pressure was the performance of the offense, rather than the admittedly porous defense, and the pattern of the game.  The offense seemed tight and uncertain early.  When they realized that they had to shape up, the offense steam-rolled through Sparty, but once they had the lead they tightened up again as if they we were afraid to lose. All of those were signs to me that the Buckeyes didn't handle the pressure well.

-1 HS

Seemed like once Ohio State got the lead, they relaxed as if it was over.

Ahh Saturday's picture

Could be.  In either case the reaction is wrong, and indicates a team mentally unprepared for the situation.

Jeremypreemo81's picture

I agree w Dude and You Buckeyevstheworld.  MSU should step up to the plate and deal with the pressure, it should be embraced.  Didnt Coach Dantonio just they wanted to be the cream of the crop in the B1G????  Didnt he say they wanted to be at the top with tOSU???   Get it together MSU

Groveport Heisman's picture

Those Spartans up there are not use to sitting on the Iron Throne. They will not only burn couches in a win,they will burn rival fans in a loss. At least they know their limits.

Mark my words..I don't need acceptance. I'm catching interceptions on you innocent pedestrians.

+3 HS
Whoa Nellie's picture

Sparty's afraid of the dark.

“Don’t fear criticism. The stands are full of critics. They play no ball. They fight no fights. They make no mistakes because they attempt nothing. Down on the field are the doers, they make mistakes because they attempt many things.”

+8 HS
SilverBullet-98's picture

I think this movie clip captures the true essence of the Sp;artan Dog meeting a Buckeye under the lights this year.

"The Past Builds the Future"

Earle's picture

Someone has to look out for the couches.

Italics are for emphasis.

+4 HS
BuckeyeJ's picture

Hoping to see some good gifs from this thread

+1 HS
Hovenaut's picture

"Success...it's what you do with what you got" - Woody Hayes

+6 HS
buckeyeEddie27's picture

Weak Sauce Sparty.
Urban is in your head. You've already lost.

I know there's a game Saturday, and my ass will be there.

+3 HS
The Thrill is Gone's picture

I laughed when I read this.  You remember the Big Ten CG, right?  Urban's not in anyone's head.  That ship has sailed.

causeicouldntgo43's picture

Hey - light bulbs are expensive in Michigan.....

+1 HS
Seattle Linga's picture

True -- it's also tough to shop at the Walmart's in Michigan when you have this to look at............

+3 HS
Crimson's picture

What sadistic soul took that picture?

+1 HS
Whoa Nellie's picture

Shallow Hal

Myopic Hal

Stevie Wonder Hal

“Don’t fear criticism. The stands are full of critics. They play no ball. They fight no fights. They make no mistakes because they attempt nothing. Down on the field are the doers, they make mistakes because they attempt many things.”

+2 HS
Tampabuckeye85's picture

I think that would be the 2nd best game to play under the lights. It will never happen, but can you imagine the best damn rivalry being played at 8pm kick off? That's how you can help boost recruiting let these kids sit down and watch the hardest played game in prime time.

+1 HS
My2Sons's picture

You're not going to mess with Mark D.'s 8:00pm bedtime.

-1 HS
Jeeves's picture

I will never understand the fixation some fans have for night games. Why pay for light when it's free during the day? 

MassiveAttack's picture

It's called National Exposure.  You know, as in other Time Zones being able to watch the game at a reasonable time for them.  Not to mention that all of the kids playing used to play on Friday Nights.  Just sayin...

+1 HS
Jeeves's picture

Play at 3:30 then...suns out, plenty of time to travel for recruits, people on the west coast tune in and others can watch before their Saturday night plans and Buckeye fans can drive home from the game and get in at a reasonable hour.