Ohio State Football Forum

Ohio State Football Forum

Ohio State football talk.

Annual SEC-B1G Week One Matchup

jamesrbrown322's picture
April 29, 2014 at 1:15pm
32 Comments

One proposal that was put forward by local media here in Nashville was that the city should host an annual week 1 college football marquee matchup between a B1G team and SEC team. The city is a melting pot of several fanbases and i think it is an awesome idea. This is a great city to which to travel, and is relatively neutral, especially given the aforementioned melting pot. Of course, they'd have to avoid "stinker" matchups that involved Illinois, Indiana, Rutgers, etc. However, the stadium would be packed by any SEC team's fans (yes, even Kentucky and Miss. St.) because coming to Nashville is like going to New York City or LA for them.

For the first few games, there are obvious matchups that would increase the allure of the game - OSU v UF, PSU-Vandy - then there are games that just b/c of the teams could be outstanding, if they stick to mainly the good programs. Trust me, it could be a HUGE draw, and I wish the city would try it. It's a wonderful city, with TONS to do and a pretty decent venue for a football game.

The game would be big enough to garner sponsorships, and a primetime kickoff. I'd propose the following games for the first 5 years -

1. Ohio State v. Alabama

2. Michigan v. Tennessee

3. Penn State v. Florida (LSU if UF doesn't)

4. Wisconsin v. Georgia (Texas A&M if UGA doesn't)

5. Michigan St. v. LSU (S. Carolina if LSU doesn't)

To me, it is a no-brainer. I know that there are many hoops through which to jump, and it is only a piepdream (advance scheduling, buyouts, loss of home game revenue make it a virtual impossibility). However, it could coincide with the SEC's requirement to play a "power" team each season. UF and UGA may opt out, as they already play BCS Conference opponents annually as a rivalry.

The stadium is big enough, and could certainly generate revenue. Granted, some schools may make more on home games, but the momentum from winning an early season matchup like this would be fantastic.

Not a bad venue for kicking Saban back to hell

m5987usus's picture

Also I think that osu vs Florida would be a good one also, urban vs his old team would be a prime time seller

O-H!

+1 HS
jamesrbrown322's picture

I agree, but I want Bama and Nicky Satan!

"Success is not final, failure is not fatal: it is the courage to continue that counts." - Winston Churchill

-2 HS
m5987usus's picture

Michigan can play Alabama and win.....a championship contender vs a championship contender. Lol

O-H!

route4buckeye's picture

I'm getting so fucking tired of folks like you calling him Satan. That's beyond immature and dumb as hell. Grow up.

-1 HS
FROMTHE18's picture

Nashville….yeah, thats even less neutral than Atlanta, and far less neutral than Dallas. Unless the SEC teams want a home and home and use their 'home' game in Nashville then I want no part in this. 

jamesrbrown322's picture

Exactly how is less neutral? There is a great mixture of fanbases from all over the map. It is less neutral than Dallas, perhaps. But take into account travel time for fan bases and it's a pretty good settlement between the conferences. There are HUGE OSU and PSU alumni bases here. As far as Atlanta goes, any city in the Deep South is not neutral.

So, I see your opinion and disagree, but hey that's why this is 'Merica!

"Success is not final, failure is not fatal: it is the courage to continue that counts." - Winston Churchill

+1 HS
buckguy10's picture

Nashville is home to an SEC team. How is that neutral? 

jamesrbrown322's picture

Lol. If you only knew the support that Vanderbilt does NOT get.

+3 HS
Furious George 27's picture

I think it is more on the lines of not neutral because its in SEC country.... Nashville may not have many Vandy fans, but I am sure they have more than enough fans to root against OSU. Not sure why we need a neutral site that holds less than the Shoe. Home & Home is the way to go so far only really LSU does that.

Yeah, well…that’s just like, your opinion, man.

Catch 5's picture

Bama had one with Penn State just a couple years ago.  Missouri is finishing one with Indiana this year, Arkansas has one with Michigan in a couple years, and Tennessee has one with Nebraska (though it is a ways off).  That's just B10 games.  The neutral sites are popular, no doubt, but home and homes are still done in the SEC.

Make their asses quit! - Nick Saban

FROMTHE18's picture

The city is a host city for an SEC school. I don't care if nobody gives a damn about Vandy football, its SEC country and its in state with 2 SEC schools. It may be the more centrally located city in terms of geography between the two conferences, but its not a neutral site. You'd need someplace like Louisville or even Cincy for a more neutral setting. 

DCNick's picture

I totally agree. Home and homes are the only way to do it. Alabama dropped the home and home with Michigan State last year. They said they had to because the SEC might switch to a 9 game schedule. I don't suppose they are going to reschedule that now. Bring Bama to Lansing, LSU to State College, Auburn to Columbus, South Carolina to Iowa City, A&M to Madison, Georgia to Ann Arbor and send Florida to Minneapolis. Better yet, schedule these games in November when the SEC always has out of conference games against scrubs.

+1 HS
Catch 5's picture

The one element Nashville lacks is a fertile recruiting bed.  Dallas and Atlanta are popular neutral kickoff locations not just because of it's draw and capacity for fans, but because Georgia and Texas are very rich with high school talent.  Pulling a game away from campus is a very costly venture for a top college team (not just monetary) so you better have some good reasons to do it.  Saban was one of the first to fully embrace these early-season neutral locations, and it is no secret he uses them in recruiting.  Tennessee does not have near the depth of HS talent from which to dip into, so I doubt there would be much interest from the top teams like Bama, LSU, Florida, etc (and probably OSU, PSU, MSU, etc), though the Mississippi schools and Kentucky/Vanderbilt would be an option as they haven't drawn any interest from Atlanta or Dallas.

jamesrbrown322's picture

That's a very good point that I hadn't considered. However, Jalen Hurd, Van Jefferson, and other current and former OSU targets might dsagree.

So a neutral location is bigger for recruiting than OSU hosting recruits for a Bama game? I don't think so.... By the time the season starts you already know your targets and OSU doesn't need help in getting noticed by recruits. 100K + in the Shoe with the campus atmosphere is much more impressive to recruits than the corporate sponser neutral site game that holds fewer fans. Your selling a recruit on your school, fans, facilities and gameday experience and all that gets watered down at a neutral site..... Sorry, but not buying the benefits of going to Dallas or Atlanta for "recruiting" purposes.

Catch 5's picture

It's more than that. It's not about that year's class, it's about the long-term.  He's recruiting future classes as much as the current ones, and strategic moves like the neutral site openers are more about being seen in that state more than trying to convince any one player to come to Alabama.  There is plenty of local advertising for these games - which is also free advertising for Bama in an out-of-state recruiting hotbed.  Also, recruits like the idea of the chance to come home and playing in front of their home town.  Bama can sell that they will play in the Georgia Dome once or twice during their time there (in addition to SEC Championships) when their friends and extended family would be more likely to attend.  With Georgia in the East, they would not necessarily play them in Athens in any 5-yr span.  Same with Texas.

Look, I agree that on-campus is better, but these games aren't bad.  I haven't been to one, but I've been in Atlanta several times while they are going on.  It is a really fun atmosphere.

So Bama needs a neutral site game to hit the hot beds of recruiting like Texas and Georgia? A&M plays in College Station, TX is a 2.5 drive from Dallas and UGA and the SEC Title game would cover Atlanta so to say that they are not hitting those areas already is not true and if a recruit doesn't already know of Bama then they probably are not smart enough to get  into college. Neutral site games are Bama's way of  avoiding a home and home series but stay in their comfort zone. If you want to argue neutral sites NY would be a great location along with Indy, Seattle, SD.... Those would all be locations that they never visit that would do more to attract recruits if neutral sites really meant anything. At least LSU was willing to go to Lambeau in the return trip w/ Wisky.

Catch 5's picture

With the SEC's refusal to go to 9 games, the frequency of Alabama playing Georgia in Athens decreases to once every 12 years.  While they are often favored, an appearance in the SECCG is not a guarantee - and since that game is one week after the season ends, there is little build-up for the specific teams.  With the neutral site games being the first of the season, they can promote these teams in these out of state markets all summer.  You can't tell me that that is not significant - and you certainly can't make the argument that Saban doesn't know what he's doing when it comes to recruiting.

Neutral site games are Bama's way of  avoiding a home and home series

Did you miss this?

Perhaps if more neutral site events become available, Bama will go there, but as of now, they don't exist.

703Buckeye's picture

Ohio State will probably not take part in this as long as Gene Smith is AD. He has come out against neutral site games in favor of home-and-homes. I wouldn't mind seeing the Bucks take on Bama, Georgia, Florida, or LSU once in awhile but I'd much rather get them for home-and-home. I'd love to see Bama come up to Columbus and the OSU go down to Tuscaloosa much more than seeing them play each other in a bland NFL stadium.

"Attack the Strong, Trample the Weak, Hurdle the Dead!"
-Former OSU S&C Coach Lichter

+3 HS
jamesrbrown322's picture

Based upon cancelling Tennessee and Georgia games, someone's not tot keen on home and homes...

703Buckeye's picture

Georgia was cancelled because of that short-lived B1G/PAC-12 alliance and I don't know why Tennessee was taken off. I'd love to see Georgia back on the schedule, they're one of the few SEC teams not afraid to leave the south. It would also be fun to watch Urban torture Richt again

+3 HS
jamesrbrown322's picture

I agree. I was really disappointed with the Tennessee cancellation as were planning on going to both games. I think it had a lot to do with the expected expansion to nine conference games. I would really like to see OSU get Texas again too. But, I'd love a shot at Alabama soon. Not saying we'd win, but the style of QB that Meyer recruits gives Satan fits.

703Buckeye's picture

You're in luck... It's still awhile off but a Texas home-and-home is coming in 2022-23. There are home-and-home's with VT, Oklahoma, UNC, Oregon, and TCU in-between. There's also a h&h with Boston College which overlaps the Texas one for a year.

http://www.fbschedules.com/ncaa/big-ten/ohio-state-buckeyes.php

+1 HS
hit_the_couch's picture

I doubt we'll see a Bamer-tOSU game anytime soon, as both parties are in serious contention for the CFB playoff and wouldn't want to screw that up early.

And then I told her...i'm no weatherman, but tonight's forecast is calling for several inches!

+2 HS
Danify's picture

What could be done is going to different sites for the games to even out the traveling distance between B1G and SEC teams. For example, the first year would have the game(s) being played in Nashville, next year in Indianapolis, following year Atlanta, and then Chicago (Cleveland, Detroit, New York, etc...). It would allow for both fan bases to have home advantages in terms of traveling distance and weather. Plus, I would love to see SEC  teams play north of the Mason-Dixon line.

+1 HS
Catch 5's picture

You'll be a fan of the LSU-Wisconsin games then.  In Dallas this year, and in Green Bay in 2016.

Danify's picture

Yup, anytime major conference teams are facing other is entertaining in my book. Especially over match ups such as Ohio State vs. FIU or Florida vs. Fuma.

Jeeves's picture

What's the point of this? The B1G and sec already play each other enough in post season southern bowl games. They (sec) are not our peers nor our rivals I see no reason to strengthen relationships with them especially now that the B1G is going to 9 conference games.

jamesrbrown322's picture

Just for fun. It was brought up here, because Nashville wants to host a marquee event. I thought it was a decent idea, but there are a lot of road blocks. I guess mainly the idea of getting to see my Buckeyes play in person, although only hypothetical, in my city really just made me happy. I thought this is what for forum posts were for...fun....

And honestly, the B1G and SEC (yes, in that order) are huge cash cows.

+1 HS
Jeeves's picture

I understand however I would prefer the B1G associate less with the sec, not more.

+1 HS
toad1204's picture

Id be partial to a Wiskey Arkansas Karma game. 

Nothing like dancing on the field in 02... 

+1 HS
Riggins's picture

Screw neutral site games forever and always.  I want our fans to visit these iconic stadiums in the south (Bryant-Denny, The Swamp, Tiger Stadium, etc). And I want our southern counterparts to be able to see The Shoe, Camp Randall, Beaver Stadium, etc. Neutral games rob fans of making a pilgrimage to these living, breathing cathedrals of this great sport.

+3 HS