Ohio State Football Forum

Ohio State Football Forum

Ohio State football talk.

F yeah PSU

bigDbuck's picture
April 15, 2014 at 9:40pm
65 Comments

One of the many things I complain about why sec is better than BIG is due to coaching. Franklin bringin it. And while it sucks we lose recruits to PSU, we need this. Bama gets a ton of 5*, but so does lsu. Fl, ga, tenn, etc. We have needed better coaches in BIG for a long time. When a douch like Bert can be paid more than Meyer u know something is wrong. So good for PSU, I don't want to lose to them, but only way OSU and BIG get better is if we get better

Colerain 2004 G.O.A.T.'s picture

Who gives a  fuck how good psu or their players and coaches are if only one B1G team can reasonably make the playoff and win a title each year. All that hate was brought on during the bcs era when the polls actually mattered. Count me in the camp that doesn't want to see psu,msu,or um stock up on 5* talent. Everyone acts like we have such a big advantage in talent but msu showed us that was just bullshit propaganda cooked up by Espin.

I speak the truth but I guess that's a foreign language to yall.~~Lil Wayne

+6 HS
deddy214's picture

I'm not sure why you're getting down voted so much for that opinion. The only thing we should care about is what our buckeyes do because that's what will change opinions on them. Opinions on the B1G won't change anytime soon but if we can continue to dominate in conference play and win the big games perception of us will change.

The only thing it accomplishes is giving us a tougher game meaning a game we are less likely to win. Yay we should cheer that right? The only thing going to matter for the next few years is WHO made the playoff and who won the National title game. Everything else will become irrelevant to a certain extent at the end of this season. If we do not make the playoff I sure as hell wont be rooting for *ichigan,PSU,or MSU to win a freaking title. Their fans are delusional enough as it is and its only going to get worse. Im not knocking these peoples views cause it seems to be a similar theme around here to try to put whip cream and a cherry on  a turd and say how good its going to taste. tOSU will not ever benefit directly from psu,um,msu, or wisky bringing in great players.I think a one loss B1G champ will hold more weight with the playoff committee over say a one loss Bama who didn't play in their conferences title game,if not then we are in some serious trouble. I think after people see how this year plays out there will be some different feelings everywhere.

-5 HS
Mortc15's picture

Completely agree. OSU could play a F A&M every week during the season, but if they made the playoff, beat both teams, and won a national title, no one would/could say much because "that team that doesnt play anybody" just beat the only two tough teams they did play all year. I dont want to see blowouts every week but to say that i hope other teams in the conference are elite, top 5 teams making OSU's road harder, no way.

Buck-I4Life

+2 HS
IGotAWoody's picture

But if you haven't been challenged by playing tough opponents during the season, you're less likely to win the playoff games.

- License to kill gophers (wolverines, badgers, etc) by the government of the United Nations

+1 HS
Mortc15's picture

I understand that, which makes the point that if they were to play lousy teams and still win a title by beating those elite teams, no one could say anything about it. By saying i dont wish elite status on any other big ten team, does not mean I hope they all offer a pushover game. Michigan was an average team last year, yet minus a Gardner injury would have beat OSU. Those games happen all the time and will continue to happen. But i dont want a Big Ten team to win a title unless it's OSU. Plain and simple.

Buck-I4Life

+1 HS
IGotAWoody's picture

I don't think anyone was talking about rooting for other B1G teams to win a title. I believe the subject was whether you wanted other B1G teams to recruit well and be competitive. I want OSU to beat every other team in the country, both in recruiting and on the field. I also want the other B1G teams to strive to be the best they can be, so that when we beat them, we feel like we accomplished something significant.

- License to kill gophers (wolverines, badgers, etc) by the government of the United Nations

+2 HS
Chief B1G Dump's picture

Reminds me of playing a video game on easy and winning every game by 100...then playing on All American and not being able to adjust.
You can eventually win on all american but if youre not prepared to get punched back, its gonna be a long day.

+3 HS
WhySoSerious's picture

Lol so true.

Rare&Uncommon

Like the ball in the stands, we balls out

+2 HS

FSU just won a National title and got their redshirt freshman QB a Heisman trophy from playing in the exact same scenario you mention above. And they are favorites to repeat for that same National title and Heisman. If we ever fielded a team as dominate as the one they had last year maybe I could rationalize our conference sucks and needs to step it up. But the fact of the matter is we barely won 4 of our conference games and then lost the most important one all while fielding our best offense in the History of our program. Just because we have a media giant screaming how bad our conference is doesn't make it true. We had very tough conference games to test us and if our opponents would have had a couple of better players here and there maybe we lose a couple more of those close games.

-3 HS
Buckeyevstheworld's picture

barely won 4 of our conference games

Michigan, and NW makes 2.

"YOLO" = I'm about to do something extremely ignorant/stupid & I need an excuse to do it.

-1 HS

Wisky had the ball late in the 4th with a chance to tie or take the lead with a 2pt conversion. Yes we had control for most of the second half but we put ourselves in a position where the game could have been lost on one single play. Iowa absolutely took us to task in the first half and entered the 4th quarter tied with us on our home field. Maybe it could be worded a little differently but that is semantics any 4 of those games could have been a loss on ONE single play.

-2 HS
nm_buck's picture

Never understood this line of reasoning.  "Less likely to win"?

Good teams play good schedules.  Great teams play great schedules.  The purpose of winning the NC is to be able to state that we're The Best Damned Team in the Land.  

If we are truly the best team, we shouldn't be afraid to play anyone.  Ever.

Bring it on.

+1 HS
Jabba the Hoke's picture

I hate to say it, but a tougher B1G schedule could be the difference between ending up as the fourth team in the playoff or the first team out.

+1 HS
WhySoSerious's picture

Yea, glad to see them putting in work. Can't say your the best until you beat the best, and with the current success that  psu, mich, wis, and Msu  or having in recruiting the league should become more competitive. Hell I could careless about a winning a recruiting class, coaches still have to coach players still need to step up. Wins and losses after 4 quarters are my only concern. 

Rare&Uncommon

WhySoSerious's picture

logic 

Rare&Uncommon

teddyballgame's picture

I mean, yeah it helps that he seems to have a passion for recruiting and can easily connect with young adults, but I've never really felt like the b1g was lacking in terms of quality football coaches.  I just think that the SEC territory is more talent-laden than what we have to draw on up north.  The NFL and SEC playerbases are both like 70% black...do you think that's a coincidence?  Urban and our guys are killing themselves to pull kids out of Florida, but it's not easy.  Quite a few of the SEC teams that actually matter and have some tradition of success will always have an inherent advantage becuase they're located in the most fertile region for football prospects.

I mean, do you really think Saban is all that special?  You think he could come here and get us a championship faster than Urban or another top coach?  Probably not if he doesn't have his handy bagman and an insane amount of talent geographically surrounding his program.

-5 HS
otrain2416's picture

I think Franklin is a hell of a recruiter, but I still don't think he's proven yet as a coach. I will give him credit to make Vanderbilt a 9 win team was no easy task, but he hasn't beaten a team yet that has finished with more than 8 wins. His most impressive win in his coaching career was beating an injury ridden Georgia team that finished with 8 wins last year. 

+8 HS
buckeyes1934's picture

You have no idea how hard it is to win at Vanderbilt. He is an amazing coach, and has an even better staff. He will translate PSU into a top 10 team when it's all said it done. I live here in Nashville, and Vanderbilt is not even the biggest fan base in its own city. The fact that he beat Tenn (road), Georgia, and Florida (road) this past year says everything about him as a coach and motivator. It doesn't matter that those teams were not as strong, because schools like Vanderbilt shouldn't beat those programs. The B1G should be really excited to have Urban and Franklin go against one another year in and year out.

-3 HS
Buckeye06's picture

I agree and disagree with this.  Yes he won those 3 games, but Tenn was bad and UF was historically bad last year.  Schools like Georgia Southern beat UF last year.  Tenn has been losing to bad teams for about 5 years now (they are on their way back). 

There was some stat, someone can confirm, that says his Vandy teams only beat 3 BCS qualifying teams with winning records in his tenure at Vandy. 

Saying that, it is Vandy and tough to win more than 4 games there any year

+3 HS
otrain2416's picture

I think you misread my comment. I said its no easy task to win at Vanderbilt, but I question him because he hasn't beat a team with more than 8 wins yet, I think those three teams you listed would be a valid argument in different years. Florida was awful last year and lost to an FCS team at home and didn't make a bowl game. Georgia is a great program but had their 3 top receivers and top 2 RBs injured for that game so they essentially had no offense when they played. Tennessee hasn't been a relevant football program since late 90s early 2000s. Again PSU will be better under Franklin IMO. How good? who knows. Hopefully better than us beating them by 7 TDs. 

+1 HS
CGroverL's picture

Sounds close to Hoke before he went to AA. Before being M*ch*gan's head coach, Hoke was 2 games above .500 and his best game was a Poinsettia Bowl win over Navy when he coached at SDSU.

"I hope they're last in everything"

Thanks, Urb!

Ugly Hour Chazz Bear's picture

Brady cHoke did the same thing with Michigan.  You all found out how good of a coach he was 2 years later... The same thing will happen with Franklin.

I like the bux.

BroJim's picture

How do you know?

I season my simple food with hunger

-2 HS
Ugly Hour Chazz Bear's picture

I don't know.  I just have a feeling the same thing will happen.  Wait first to see if this class even ends up top 10 come signing day.  Michigan had the best class early this past season and look how they finished.

I like the bux.

-1 HS
BroJim's picture

Why should I wait, I'm not the one making predictions. I know what happen to Up North and I know PSU is not a lateral comparison. I was simply asking how do you know the same thing will happen. 

I season my simple food with hunger

-1 HS
nm_buck's picture

Franklin is going to be a great coach for PSU.  He is just what they needed, and just what the B1G needed to boost SOS.

Franklin has never accomplished anything of significance as a coach in his lifetime but all  of a sudden he is great because he has a few 4* recruits committed? psu will be respectable but I wouldn't be throwing around the word "great".

Seattle Linga's picture

Going to reserve my comments until year one and two play out. If he starts ripping our already committed recruits - Only then will I be getting a little nervous.

+2 HS
Calgarybuck's picture

Enough of this Penn State recruiting is good/bad for us..plus is that these talented kids are going to Penn State instead of Kentucky/ACC/SEC schools which will count in bowl season and league perception....minus is that they are winning on kids our staff wants and that trumps everything..dammit I want every top kid that we offer count me greedy! But that's the way I feel! 

go bucks!

+2 HS
Kjetland's picture

OMG....I heard this same crap with O'Brien before him. O'Brien got recruits to pick PSU over OSU. Did it do them any good?

It's one thing to win out on a couple recruits...it's another to win on the field. 

-3 HS
FROMTHE18's picture

If you remember, Urban came in and flipped a handful of PSU commits and PSU leans (Spence) to OSU. What we are seeing with Franklin is nothing like what we saw with O'Brien.

+2 HS
CincyOSU's picture

Umm, O'brien also had to field a team that had 15 less scholarship players than everyone else. What he did while there was nothing less than remarkable. He's a GREAT coach...plain and simple.

+1 HS
nm_buck's picture

OBrien worked wonders given his NCAA handicapping.  PSU will be back in the running a lot sooner than most expected.  

Which is good for the B1G and for the Buckeyes. 

HilltopHustle's picture

Huh? Who said O'Brien was going to do well from day one, especially in comparison to James Franklin? The PSU fans were up in arms and about to riot when BOB ended up being the only viable option for a school fresh in the midst of the scandal. They expected some big hire and got some NFL coordinator that 85% of them had never heard of before.

chirobuck's picture

that's a terrible comparison, most of his kids aren't even upperclassman yet.....and yeah he did pretty good for what he had, if you don't understand that then I can't help you

^ best post ever ^

+1 HS
TUNBUCK89's picture

Franklin has shown, so far, that he can be competitive in recruiting. Let's wait & see if he could develop & win with those recruits before we label him a good or great coach. In the end, the only thing that really matters is what happens on the field.

+4 HS
TUNBUCK89's picture

Franklin has shown, so far, that he can be competitive in recruiting. Let's wait & see if he could develop & win with those recruits before we label him a good or great coach. In the end, the only thing that really matters is what happens on the field.

Buckeyevstheworld's picture

Meh to this conference loyalty crap.

"YOLO" = I'm about to do something extremely ignorant/stupid & I need an excuse to do it.

+12 HS
Scarlet_Lutefisk's picture

Especially towards a team whose fans are mouthbreathing cretins who hate the Big Ten.

-1 HS
buckguyfan1's picture

Urbz will give him a nice Big Ten welcome this fall. 

+6 HS
SilverBullet-98's picture

As far as the B1G getting more competitive...

It needs to step ups it's recruiting and facilities to stay a premium conference.

It would be nice to see Iowa or Nebraska surge with Texas recruits like in the past, than MSU/PSU in my opinion.

We already have enough schools trying to carve out there piece of the OHIO for recruiting.

"The Past Builds the Future"

AlwayzABuckeye614's picture

I am not sure why Franklin is landing all of these good recruits to PSU, what makes him that good? If he is that good why wasn't he doing this at Vanderbilt? People say players play for coaches, and not schools. Well why weren't they coming to Vandy??

My guess is jut 'new hype'

+1 HS
BME_Buckeye's picture

My guess is because it's Vanderbilt. 

Look closely, because the closer you think you are, the less you will actually see.

HilltopHustle's picture

He had Top 25 recruiting classes at VANDERBILT, a school that most student athletes (especially SEC ones) would never qualify for academically. Are you not entertained?

@OSUDefender's picture

James Franklin in 3 years as head coach of Vanderbilt: 0-3 vs South Carolina, 0-1 vs aTm, 1-2 vs Florida, 1-2 vs Georgia, 0-1 vs Alabama, 0-1 + 1 cancel vs Northwestern, 1 cancel vs Ohio State, did not play LSU.

+11 HS
Furious George 27's picture

It should be noted that the 1 UGA win was when everyone was pretty much hurt on the bulldogs.

Yeah, well…that’s just like, your opinion, man.

+4 HS

Meh, *ichigan had the top recruiting class at this time last year so I don't put much stock where a team is until after the season plays out. Franklin seems to be a good coach, a Pat Fitzgerald of the SEC if you will. He was still getting beat handily by good teams including NW. Vandy definately improved under him, but some teams got really bad in the SEC east and they missed LSU and Bama the two best seasons they had. He navigated an easy OOC schedule and went .500 in league which at PSU sould be easy to do for 8 wins. The question will be what he can do with OSU, MSU and scUM every year along with Nebraska and Wisky mixed in. I wouldn't call SEC coaching the best in the nation, the advantage they have is how they manipulate the rosters and sign about 25-30 recruits every year which is usually about 5-10 more players than the next conference team.

+3 HS
EwanJobi's picture

FSU proved last year that strength of schedule is nice, but not necessary. I'd rather see convincing wins over all opponents.

+3 HS
Scarlet_Buckeye's picture

Only way you can be the best is to play good competition and beat the best.

PSU "upgrading" is big for the B1G, and anything that's good for the B1G is good for Ohio State.

By playing (& hopefully beating) better teams, Ohio State will be in a better position when it comes to playing teams in the National Championship / BCS Bowl games.  No doubt about it.

SilverBullet-98's picture

I agree, nobody ever gets better unless you occasionally challenge yourself,

"The Past Builds the Future"

nm_buck's picture

Hard to believe this post got downvotes.  

-1 HS
ab1993's picture

If we want to be the best in the nation, we have to beat the best. So why not make the B1G be the best? Obviously we are not going to win a national championship every year. I'd rather have the B1G turn into a dominant conference like the SEC, because I much prefer watching the teams up here than SEC football. Isn't it a little selfish to hope PSU sucks anyways? We play them once a year, that's the time we want to be the better football team than them, the rest of the time, I want to see them play good football. Same goes for any team around the B1G... except TSUN.

+1 HS

Does playing better teams make you more battle tested? Sure. However, as pointed out FSU and USC under Carroll won it all when their conference was horrible. Whats best for the B1G is that teams win their Bowls and OOC games. Playing OSU tougher doesn't mean a thing when you lose to crap teams out of conference. I will say what the SEC is smart in is that they sometimes front load difficult league match ups early and the winner shoots up and the loser falls a little with enough time to get back in the top 10 in OCT when they mix in their cupcakes midseason for guaranteed W's.

RunEddieRun1983's picture

I feel no comoradarie towards any team in the big ten whatsoever.  I don't route for them when they play other teams, and I route for them to get their legs broken when they play Ohio State.  The scarlet and grey is all I care about on game day, and I wish that was the universal feeling.  I can't fault anyone for having pride in the conference, but let's face it, over the last decade or so, the rest of the conference really hasn't held up it's share of the weight.  Ohio State was the face of the Big Ten for so many years and thusly was taking all the bullets from all the media who said the Big Ten sucked.  So I say to hell with the rest of the conference, it's about time they got their act together and stopped screwing around and started putting together winning rosters.

I don't always downvote, but I do always downvote a Michigan fan trolling the Buckeye boards.

+3 HS
Johnny-Shane_Utah-Falco's picture

F PSU.

Hope we beat them 131-0.

BUCKfutter's picture

Cared about B1G recruiting when we had to be in the top 2 to have a chance at a NC.  Now that we just have to be in the top 4, I hope all but us get obliterated on the recruiting trail.

the kids are playing their tail off, and the coaches are screwing it up! - JLS

+1 HS
NC_Buckeye's picture

Ever since reading the Bag Man SB Nation article, I'm convinced that the Big Ten is always going to be in a state of proverbial catch-up to the SEC in football. And if that's the shit we have to do to be competitive -- then I'm fine with our current state. That recruiting bullshit is why the Ivies withdrew from D-I many moons ago. It's also the reason why the NCAA was created in the first place.

+1 HS
Johnny-Shane_Utah-Falco's picture

Somebody jihaded this thread with DVs

-1 HS
Scarlet_Lutefisk's picture

Probably the same foreign voters who helped Paterno win ESPN's Big Ten greatest coach poll.

-1 HS
sivaDavis's picture

Same as Hoke. Both took schools that weren't supposed to be in the postseason, to the postseason.. Both gained national attention and are supposed to be saviors to schools in decline. End story. Yawn. I'll wait to see his Penn State product on the field before I go praising him as the next great HC.

"I've had smarter people around me all my life, but I haven't run into one yet that can outwork me. And if they can't outwork you, then smarts aren't going to do them much good." - Woody Hayes

+1 HS
chirobuck's picture

reading through the comments I guess I'm in the minority, I like to see the B1G a tougher conference, I know with the playoffs coming it won't matter as much.....maybe its because I spent 4 years of school down in SEC country and had to listen to the idiots tell me they were so superior to us, maybe its because I would just like to see E$PN squirm when the B1G takes back over as the best conference and watch them desperately try to spin it, I guess I don't know exactly but I just would rather it be a tougher conference  

^ best post ever ^

+3 HS
otrain2416's picture

Completely agree I definitely want the BIG 10 to be a tougher conference. I think Franklin will definitely help with that.

-1 HS
nm_buck's picture

You're not in the minority.