Ohio State Football Forum

Ohio State Football Forum

Ohio State football talk.

BIG out of conference play has to be better to earn any respect

HENRYJONESJR's picture
April 10, 2014 at 10:42am
17 Comments

This is nothing new - but this the conference as a whole has limped along in the big out of conference games.  This year's big games for each school are:

Ind. vs. Mizz

MSU vs. Oregon

Mich. vs. App. State

Nebraska vs. Miami

Wisconsin vs. LSU  (Week 1)  WOW this is at a "neutral" site in TX - this is a whole new topic

Ill. vs. Was

A bunch of teams have the Irish on their schedule 

If the Big can win these there will be a lot of excuses - but the wins are very necessary to help the entire conference.

Furious George 27's picture

I like the addition of App State a true revenge game for *ichigan.

Yeah, well…that’s just like, your opinion, man.

+2 HS
Colerain 2004 G.O.A.T.'s picture

Haha but seriously *ichigan has a real chance of losing to Utah in what is another revenge game.

I speak the truth but I guess that's a foreign language to yall.~~Lil Wayne

BoFuquel's picture

Just win'em all and we'll have all the respect we can stand. Straight to Hell with The Other Th'Hurteen Konferentz. GO BUCKS!

I wish I didn't know now what I didn't know then.

+1 HS
thatlillefty's picture

Oregon and LSU are pretty solid. VTech as well of course.

NuttyBuckeye's picture

The problem is that if we want to set a home and home with most SEC schools, they do not want to travel, let alone travel north.  Setting up future home and home games with other schools is a crap-shoot.  Look at Cal, when JT set this up, Cal was a respectable team on the way up in the PAC-10.  They fell apart...

Scheduling any other PAC-12 team is pretty much the same thing, with maybe the exception of Oregon and Stanford.  JT did get Oklahoma on the schedule and they appear to be holding strong.

I guess the toughest part of scheduling is trying to set up a home and home that can happen in the next two years... Too bad there isn't more of a national push for this.  Yes - there are those "neutral site" games in the south that are very favorable the SEC schools.  Remember the Kickoff Classic in The Meadowlands??  We need more "neutral-site" games set up for the schools (pardon the expression) up north.

Marc Pocock (a.k.a NuttyBuckeye)

What's round on the ends and high in the middle? Tell me if you know!

jamesrbrown322's picture

Don''t forget, OSU had home and homes set with Tennessee and UGA that the Buckeyes cancelled due to going to 9 B1G games. Those teams were both willing to come to Columbus. I, for one, am extremely disappointed about the Tennessee series, as I had planned on going to both games.

In the end, I think that both opponents and the Buckeyes realized that they were all going to 9 conferences games, and adding that difficult of a non-con opponent would not be smart.

"I can accept failure, but I cannot accept not trying." - W.W. Hayes

+1 HS
hit_the_couch's picture

The UGA game was cancelled because neither side could agree on dates; it was stated that if neither side could agree on dates then the contract would be null come June 30th of 2 years ago. I'm sure 6 and 7 years from now they could have fit it in sometime in the first 3 games.

And then I told her...i'm no weatherman, but tonight's forecast is calling for several inches!

jamesrbrown322's picture

MSU and Wisc wins wold carry much more weight than the others.

In the current climate, I am tied of hearing the B1G hasn't won (blank) since (blank), so I am one of those OSU fans that a lot of people hate on 11W, in that, for the benefit of the Buckeyes, I want to see the other conference teams succeed. Sorry, but if it benefits OSU, I root for it.

"I can accept failure, but I cannot accept not trying." - W.W. Hayes

+3 HS
hit_the_couch's picture

B1G teams don't have to step up OOC because conference play is so brutal. Wait, I guess that only works in the $EC.

And then I told her...i'm no weatherman, but tonight's forecast is calling for several inches!

+2 HS
Buckeyevstheworld's picture

I don't see the BigTen faring too well.

Winners:

Ind. vs. Mizz

MSU vs. Oregon

Mich. vs. App. State XD

Nebraska vs. Miami

Wisconsin vs. LSU. Could go either way.

Ill. vs. Was

"YOLO" = I'm about to do something extremely ignorant/stupid & I need an excuse to do it.

-1 HS
tae1986's picture

I would want to pick MSU over Oregon.

Hoping it would be similar to when Oregon faced Stanford.

Remind yourself, Nobody built like you, You designed yourself.

+1 HS
Buckeyevstheworld's picture

I just don't see MSU going into Eugene and winning.

"YOLO" = I'm about to do something extremely ignorant/stupid & I need an excuse to do it.

+1 HS
Colerain 2004 G.O.A.T.'s picture

MSU and Wisky are going to carry the torch early on how our conference is perceived. Yes they are both in reality road games with LSU having half their fans now living in Houston but I think if they can split we are in good shape.With MSU replacing 7 starters on D I do not see that game being very favorable that early in the year.

I speak the truth but I guess that's a foreign language to yall.~~Lil Wayne

Mortc15's picture

While ILL and Ind winning would be a bonus, the top teams need to win. MSU, Wisc, OSU, Neb. If 3 of those 4 teams win those major games, preferably losing to UO or Miami, it would go a long way to helping the conference gaining respectability. (I say UO or miami bc i dont want OSU to lose and I dont want to see another SEC team beat a conference team)

Buck-I4Life

-1 HS
Seattle Linga's picture

Navy is no push over either

+1 HS
southbay's picture

I think they will be more of a challenge than VT. Cincy will be ready to play as well.

Watched VT's bowl game and was not impressed.

Catch 5's picture

Wisconsin vs. LSU (Week 1) WOW this is at a "neutral" site in TX - this is a whole new topic

Don't fret too much.  LSU travels north in 2016 to play in a "neutral" Green Bay venue. 

Make their asses quit! - Nick Saban