Ohio State Football Forum

Ohio State Football Forum

Ohio State football talk.

Slow/Lazy/Lackadaisical Defense Accepted for 2 Years at OSU?

Buckeye_in_SEC_country's picture
March 31, 2014 at 8:50am
24 Comments

I read an article from Tony Gerdeman of the O-Zone and some of the defensive players talked about the defense being relaxed and practices not being very intense last year. How was this acceptable and why did it take 2 years to fix it? Also, from what I'm reading it sounds like Ash is running the show on defense now. 

http://bit.ly/1khiAfu

FROMTHE18's picture

I think Slow/Lazy/Lackadaisical are just three of an abundant list of negative adjectives to describe our defense over the last 2-3 years, particularly pass coverage and tackling. 

+4 HS
Buckeye_in_SEC_country's picture

Not disagreeing with that, but why was it acceptable?  Can't tell me that Urban Meyer didn't see it in practice.  Why did he allow it to happen?  Did he realize he made bad hire in Withers and just had to ride it out until Withers left?  

+2 HS
TheBadOwl's picture

The criticism of Meyer at Florida was that he didn't delegate enough, which led to his health problems. So, he delegated the defensive responsibilities to Fickell and Withers.

Remember, Meyer's an offensive-minded coach, and when he got here, our offense was a complete disaster. It still wasn't great during 2012. Fixing the offense was definitely the main focus for Urban, and getting Braxton to develop. I'm sure he knew the defense had problems, but Fickell/Withers have much more experience as defensive coaches than Urban does.

I'm not saying it was accepted, but given Fickell's track record as a defensive coordinator, and the offense's problems, Urban had much bigger things to worry about.

When I walked in this morning and saw the flag was at half mast I thought, "Alright, another bureaucrat ate it." but then I saw it was Li'l Sebastian. Half mast is too high. Show some damn respect.

+3 HS
JohnnyKozmo's picture

Add lack of fundamentals to that list as well.  Maybe too many hands in the pot when it comes to that side of the ball.  It would be nice to hear 1 voice, even if it's a collaborative effort by the coaching staff-you don't see too many teams where multiple coaches from the defensive side of the ball are answering questions.  

From the sound of things, it looks as if Ash is simplifying everything.  With the athletes that are on that side of the ball-there should be 11 missles flying to ball on every play.  

+2 HS
tennbuckeye19's picture

I don't know that "accepted" is the right word, but obviously Urban wasn't happy the last 2 years with the defense. Was Fickell the problem? Was it Withers? We shall see. It sure does sound like bringing in Larry Johnson and Chris Ash was a move in the right direction.

+3 HS
AngryWoody's picture

I guess you missed the memo?

Our Honor Defend!

+2 HS
Buckeye06's picture

This is the same story every year with every team.  "We are going to be so amazing" etc.  May be true, but may not be. 

+3 HS
tennbuckeye19's picture

All my Browns fan friends know this is true. Start the offseason with hope and delusions of grandeur only to witness the same river of crap year after year.

d5k's picture

Brandon Weeden threw some awesome preseason touchdown passes last August.

+1 HS
andretolstoy's picture

This article is nonsense.

+2 HS
BoFuquel's picture

Are we playing for The Dr. Pepper? If not this team is a BUST. Accept nothing less. This is TOSU not The Other Th'Hurteen. GO BUCKS!

I wish I didn't know now what I didn't know then.

+1 HS
d5k's picture

Leave it to fans to overreact to a couple quotes.  There is a cause and effect between simplifying roles and playing faster in practice.  It is not the quantity of effort it is having a single identity and repping that like crazy.

+1 HS
Hovenaut's picture

It's upsetting. But I'm hopeful in the present.

Someone help her, get that crap off her cheek...

"Success...it's what you do with what you got" - Woody Hayes

Run_Fido_Run's picture

I've never before had such a burning desire to console and comfort a Michigan supporter. As per your instructions, I volunteer to swab the young lady's offending body parts.

+1 HS
Seattle Linga's picture

That was funny - thanks but I bet there are a lot of guys in here that will be in line with you.

GVerrilli92's picture

I don't think these quotes are as telling as some of the comparisons between Johnson and Vrabel though.

The more I read on that, the more I'm convinced that Vrabel lost his sense of the college game. Playing the same 4 guys on the D-line 75+ snaps, constantly yelling and being negative, inability to establish a relationship with his players the way LJ can. Any program would be lucky to have Vrabel, but I think we upgraded bigtime. More so than fans are aware of.

How many cheeseburgers are you gunna drive into that dirty old cheeseburger locker Brady Hoke?

+3 HS
Crimson's picture

Some of the quotes also say we only had 8 guys on the d-line who weren't injured.  If you only have 8, then you might only have 5-6 who actually deserve to rotate in.  I used to think it was Vrabel's problem for not rotating, but now I'm not so sure.

However, I'm also excited that we have Johnson now.

Run_Fido_Run's picture

I'm a fan of the simplified approach and I'm excited about the infusion of energy and new coaches, but yeah . . . this defense also has more depth (of talent) than last year's team. When they had only 4-5 capable LBs, maybe a semi-cautious approach made sense during October - December 2013 practices (which are fresher in the minds of returning players than spring 2013 practices, which might have been higher energy).  

Also, there will naturally be a fierce urgency after a proud institution like the Silver Bullets have back-to-back seasons like they've had.

hit_the_couch's picture

3 years; why did it take 3 years.

Cue the Fickell pologists.

And then I told her...i'm no weatherman, but tonight's forecast is calling for several inches!

+1 HS
Crimson's picture

3 years; why did it take 3 years.

Luke's only been in charge of the D for 2 years.  3 years ago was Heacock, and it wasn't bad (or great).

Mortc15's picture

In a spinoff of this thread, what happens if/when Ash revamps the secondary and gets them to play at an elite level and this team competes for/wins a championship this year or next? Is Ash the type of guy that wants to be a head coach eventually? I see this opportunity for him as a HUGE stepping stone to that possible goal. He comes in to a team with a terrible secondary, about the only glaring weakness on a team that could have otherwise played for a championship, and if he fixes it, looks like a genius. I think a lot of mid-majors would be calling if that happens.

Buck-I4Life

johnblairgobucks's picture

I'd love to get to that bridge, and then worry about crossing it..... It would be many times better than talking about what happens that day we might get to the bridge.

Lets just get to the bridge.

+1 HS
Run_Fido_Run's picture

Yep, it'd be nice to cross this bridge first:

+1 HS