Ohio State Football Forum

Ohio State Football Forum

Ohio State football talk.

Is Greg schiano gonna coach at osu?

m5987usus's picture
March 20, 2014 at 11:23pm
24 Comments

He has been at the practices and is wearing osu gear so I was just wondering if anyone knew if he was maybe gonna join the staff as a defensive minded guy? He was amazing defensive coach at Rutgers so it's be good for the defense.

Rural Meyer's picture

I would imagine the chance is .001 that he joins this year. It's not uncommon for other coaches to watch practice and swap notes. 

Unky Buck's picture

I would imagine the chance is .001

+7 HS
PittBuckeye's picture

Always has to be one.

+1 HS
Seattle Linga's picture

Kinda makes you think ........... I find it odd that he would be wearing our garb and I think we can't hire anyone else due to NCAA rules and that we are only allowed to have so many paid staff as coaches. Maybe he will be a consultant.

tae1986's picture

Maybe he showed up with a blue shirt on..

Remind yourself, Nobody built like you, You designed yourself.

+12 HS
teddyballgame's picture

I just hope he left the MRSA back in Tampa

+3 HS
southbay's picture

I hear ya, but I don't see how that would have been Schiano's fault, and I don't think you're suggesting it was.  But it sounds like the sort of thing that can really help to upset the apple cart.

OSU_ALUM_05's picture

Maybe he's here to take over for Fickell?  #FireFickell

+2 HS
Ludwig Yards's picture

I highly doubt it since he will likely be a head coach again in 2015. He's just good friends with Meyer (according to Urban).

+3 HS
Johnny-Shane_Utah-Falco's picture

I hope so. Great coach.

-1 HS
gumtape's picture

People may be forgetting the dumpster fire that happened in Tampa last year.

just another psycho, irrational, delusional Ohio St fan

M Man's picture

I didn't forget.  It was a dumpster fire alright.  I would never have even cared, but for the fact that I'll never forget what some major-insiders told me about the coaching search at Michigan before Rich Rodriguez was hired.  They had formed an off-the-books committee to help then-AD Bill Martin.  The committee was never formalized, never held a meeting, and never kept notes.  So that there'd be nothing to report in a FOIA or in Open Meetings Act requirements.  I had more than one confirmation of the existence of the committee.  It was mostly Bo-era players.  They reached a conclusion and recommended one name to Martin; it was Greg Schiano.  Martin said thanks I'll get back to you.  A few days later, he hired Rodriguez.  Some people say Schiano was contacted and turned Michigan down.  According to my sources, Martin never really asked Schiano, and Schiano didn't have the chance to turn Michigan down.

Hovenaut's picture

Hey, at least we're not in danger of Lane Kiffin showing up.

"Success...it's what you do with what you got" - Woody Hayes

+6 HS
OSU_ALUM_05's picture

Didn't you hear?  He's employed by an SEC superpower now .....so he's awesome. 

+1 HS
HotSauceCommittee's picture

Mark it down, just changing area codes will now make him the best offensive coordinator in college football.

+4 HS
Hovenaut's picture

Yes, you are correct sir...a dweller in Sabanistan I hear.

"Success...it's what you do with what you got" - Woody Hayes

+1 HS
KeithMC33's picture

Didn't Mangino come to a few practices last year? i remember he was wearing OSU garb b/c he had a blue shirt on, but i'm sure this is probably a similar situation in that Mangino and UFM are friends.. It's not uncommon for coaches to seek input from other coaches/friends regarding play calling, schemes, etc. Schiano is making some nice $$$ to just sit back and consult this year. if the right head coaching jobs opens up he will jump at it, but I highly doubt he would take a coordinator position this year and risk leaving $$$ on the table. 

+4 HS
Jbucks's picture

wasnt Schiano our DB coach for all of 1 week b4 taking the TB job? then came the hiring of coombs?

Light shines in the darkness and the darkness has not overcome it-John 1:5 SEC meet Ohio State, Ohio State meet SEC

kmp10's picture

No, he wasn't. Bill Sheridan was hired and then shortly thereafter left for Tampa Bay as their defensive coordinator... I believe. 

+1 HS
Jeremy Birmingham's picture

WUT IF URBZ IS QUITTING U GUYZ

OSUStu's picture

If you always put limits on everything you do, physical or anything else, it will spread into your work and into your life. There are no limits. There are only plateaus, and you must not stay there, you must go beyond them.  ~ Bruce Lee

+6 HS
southbymidwest's picture

Can't think of a better way to spend a week or two on an NFL team's dime (I read he gets paid this year by his ex-team unless he finds a job)- hang with good buddy Urban, still be involved with a game he loves, watch a powerhouse football team and its films, and give advice, while filing away the stuff that Schiano thinks would work at the next stop. No stress, no commitment, no responsibility. I'll take it.