Ohio State Football Forum

Ohio State Football Forum

Ohio State football talk.

ADOLPHUS?

SlimBuckin''s picture
March 2, 2014 at 9:43am
21 Comments

Is it official yet if Adolphus is moving inside with Michael Bennet? It only makes sense due to the emergence of Bosa and the switching of Hale to OL.

SlimBuckin''s picture

I like the idea it gives us 4 savages on the line with some nice young backups like Marcus, Lewis, Schutt, Sprinkle and others.

+1 HS
BuckeyeRealist13's picture

I personally haven't heard of anything, but there has already been numerous plays throughout Washington's first two years at Ohio State that he has been on the field as a DT. It only makes sense to move AW to DT so that Ohio State can get their best d - lineman on the field at the same time. A starting d line of Spence, Bennett, Washington, and Bosa has the potential to be the best in the country. So much depth as well with Jamal Marcus, Tyquan Lewis, Steve Miller, and possibly Tracy Sprinkle getting reps this year. Jalyn Holmes might also be a candidate for time in the rotation. 

I've spent time in the South, I don't care what anybody says they don't have the passion for football that us Ohioans have. 

+2 HS
buckeye4life050233's picture

Don't forget Dylan Thompson.  Dude is a workout warrior like John Simon and Meyer likes those type of guys.  He could make an impact and it wouldn't surprise me. 

+2 HS
teddyballgame's picture

Thompson might have slid under the radar while we were chasing 5 stars...but looking at him it's impressive how physically ready he seems.  Pretty sure he doesn't need to redshirt to gain strength.

+2 HS
TUNBUCK89's picture

Looking at him, he looks like a guy coming out of the NFL and not from high school !

+1 HS
teddyballgame's picture

He doesn't look too small standing next to big bear bosa either.

+3 HS
BuckeyeRealist13's picture

Definitely Dylan Thompson, another name I forgot was Michael Hill who might see a lot of playing time on the DT rotation. 

I've spent time in the South, I don't care what anybody says they don't have the passion for football that us Ohioans have. 

+2 HS
TUNBUCK89's picture

And don't forget about Tommy Schutt. He got injured last year. But healthy, he could be a force as a DT. I don't think we've seen him at his best yet.

+6 HS
brandonbauer87's picture

I've always thought Adolphus fits better as an undersized DT. It seems like playing both is a good plan depending on the situation. 

Buckabroad's picture

Just thinking about Bosa, Bennett, AW and Spence on the field at the same time just gives me the shivers. Doesn't seem fair to opposing QBs. Please let this happen ...

"The minute we stop expecting greatness, we become Wisconsin."

+1 HS
route4buckeye's picture

It has happened before.

PittBuckeye's picture

The big bold title spelled like that kills me. Edit: Much better mine eyes feel better.

But I would imagine he would play both here and there, depending on the situation, plus I'd read that there will be more subbing along the line this coming season.

+4 HS
otrain2416's picture
  • At this point after moving Hale, who was listed as the starting NG ALL YEAR over to offense you have to figure its true. I don't believe he will be full time inside but he will be playing there a lot more with the emergence of Bosa. Idk what games Meyer will play with the official depth chart. For all we know he could still be listed as the #2 SSDE behind Bosa and play 70% of the snaps at DT. All I know is we have A LOT of depth and its pretty scary as we're returning everyone. I see us having 3 tiers of DL as of now. I tried to be conservative ranking the guys based off of what I've seen them do at full health. Obviously things could change after spring ball and fall camp and I put the freshman or guys that haven't played yet in the third tier because they're not proven yet.
  • The first tier consisting of Bosa, Spence, Bennett, Washington, Marcus, Schutt.
  • Second Tier: Miller, Carter, Hill, Lewis
  • Third tier: Frazier, Rock, Munger, Sprinkle, Holmes, Thompson
+1 HS
Statutoryglory's picture

Another thing to consider is Larry Johnson seems to want each spot on the DL to pass rush as opposed to having a DT that just anchors in place and occupies blockers.  Adolphus is much better at the former than the latter. 

+2 HS
Ahh Saturday's picture

So far Washington's career has followed a trajectory very similar to Michael Bennett's: a promising freshman year followed by a disappointing, injury-hampered sophomore year.  I expect those similarities to continue and Washington will be a major part of the DL during his junior season. I don't think he takes the starting job back from Bosa, but he will basically be the 5th starter.  Washington is versatile and will move around the line quite a bit, playing DT on passing downs, but also seeing plenty of time as SSDE. 

+1 HS
seafus26's picture

I could see him and Bosa inside before they leave OSU. Bosa is still growing

Go Bucks and michigan STILL SUCKS!

Jbucks's picture

I remember Spence & Washington talking about how if 1 got a sack the other would work twice as hard to 1 up the other, then the injury happened & Bosa became a monster, & I remember thinking Bosa is our guy BUT Adolphus was still the guy I thought had the most NFL promise due to his size and his rare quickness to go with it. Then I saw AW get the back burner a bit after he came off injury. Until FINALLY AW was lined up on the inside next to Bennett and Bosa, then I remember thinking to myself HOLY CRAP THIS QB IS GOING TO DIE! yeah... safe to say Bosa, AW, Bennett, Spence will be the starters after 2 games this year and we will lead the Nation in Sacks, TFL, FF, and opposing QB injuries.... UFM's new morning routine statement "ahhh the sweet smell of Fear in the morning"

Light shines in the darkness and the darkness has not overcome it-John 1:5 SEC meet Ohio State, Ohio State meet SEC

+1 HS
Stellar's picture

The problem with Washington as a starter is neither him or Michael Bennett are really nose tackles.  They're more pass rush guys, which is great in certain situations, but I could see them wanting a wider body to hold the point against the run on early downs. I foresee a situation where Tommy Schutt or possibly even Michael Hill is the official starter at nose tackle and Washington instead serves as the all purpose backup rotating in frequently at both DT and DE

+1 HS
Mean Mr Mustard's picture

This is one of the reasons our defense will do better under Ash's 4-3 Cover-2 base.  Have 4 guys rushing the passer --as opposed to the occupying space NT and a hybrid 4-3 DE/3-4 OLB LEO or Viper or whatever.  Hasn't Washington grown since high school also?  If so, he would be more of a DT and I would really like to see him rotating from SSDE to inside as opposed to Bosa.  Let Bosa concentrate on SSDE and let Spence concentrate on rushing the QB's blind side

Jbucks's picture

pretty sure AW came in at 290lbs, pretty sure he has gotten bigger stronger faster with our weight program, I could see him getting to a healthy but deadly 305 if thats what the coaches wanted

Light shines in the darkness and the darkness has not overcome it-John 1:5 SEC meet Ohio State, Ohio State meet SEC

BuckeyeJ's picture

Joe Hale ---DL to OL

Cam Burrows ---CB to S

Ferris back to DL 

only moves that have been announced