Ohio State Football Forum

Ohio State Football Forum

Ohio State football talk.

The Hive

The Urban Legend's picture
February 8, 2014 at 8:07am
42 Comments

Does anyone else out there miss the pregame "hive" from the Tress era?

jmacaulay17's picture

I definitely miss "The Hive." For years, when coupled with Hells Bells, it was one of those things that gave me goosebumps and got me so pumped up for the game. I cannot say the same for the new Quick Cal "tradition." I would switch back to The Hive in a heartbeat if I had a choice. 

The Ohio State University Class of 2013

+8 HS
DJ Byrnes's picture

Quick cals are weak, IMHO. Hive over Cals is about the only thing I'd take from Tressel over Meyer.

Californian by birth, Marionaire by the Grace of President Warren G. Harding.

moopdawg's picture

I would DEFINITELY take Tressel's defenses from his first 2 seasons at The Ohio State University over Meyer's.

+18 HS
Seattle Linga's picture

Moopdawg bringing it strong - nice bold comment and what's up with the handle?

+2 HS
moopdawg's picture

Hahaha ... Moop is short for my last name, and it's what the brothers back home called me.  A nickname that stuck.

+1 HS
Seattle Linga's picture

Thanks for the info - that nickname is catchy, When I was on the hockey team - Everyone knew each other by our nicknames. Linga is part of my last name as well

+1 HS
warosu's picture

The hive, hands down!!!

+4 HS
OSU_ALUM_05's picture
+4 HS
Ericgobucks's picture
+4 HS
Poison nuts's picture

Yes. Quick Cals doesn't have the same effect..

"Do not pass me, just slow down - I can move right through you" Superchunk - Precision Auto.

+1 HS
OSUStu's picture

I was skeptical that the Quick Cals would "show the relationship between our student body...and our football team” as Urban said when they were first instituted.  They may do a bit of that, but they really don't create the same kind of buzz that the Hive did.

If you always put limits on everything you do, physical or anything else, it will spread into your work and into your life. There are no limits. There are only plateaus, and you must not stay there, you must go beyond them.  ~ Bruce Lee

BuckToAsT's picture

Forget them both and just do the bit from Remember the Titans.

"Everywhere we go....."

+6 HS
bukyze's picture

Quick cals blow, but I wouldn't mind if they kept it if the students like it.  But without a doubt, Hells Bells yeah, BRING BACK THE HIVE!

+3 HS
brandonbauer87's picture

From a fan perspective, the hive was better. I have to think quick cals get the team going better though. 

The Urban Legend's picture

We need to start a bring back The Hive petition. Keep the Quick Cals if the players like it but give the fans what they want coach.

The Legend continues

FROMTHE18's picture

i think our entrance could use a little sharpening up…the stadium expansion will help as it will make the ramps into tunnels. 

+1 HS
BuckeyeRealist13's picture

More than "The Hive" I miss when the Buckeyes would first come out to "We Ready" by Archi. That coupled with Hells Bells would pumped me up beyond belief. Here is a link if anybody doesn't remember the song. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cw6e8_RoV18

I've spent time in the South, I don't care what anybody says they don't have the passion for football that us Ohioans have. 

TheBadOwl's picture

The walk-out song this year really sucked. I actually liked the Avicii Levels one from 2012, but I think something like this would be better.

When I walked in this morning and saw the flag was at half mast I thought, "Alright, another bureaucrat ate it." but then I saw it was Li'l Sebastian. Half mast is too high. Show some damn respect.

HotSauceCommittee's picture

Do both it only takes a few awesome blood pumping moments to do the Hive

PittBuckeye's picture

But the quick cals are really just a waste of that time, maybe do the hive twice instead?

+4 HS
Brutenley69's picture

Hive!!!

GO BUCKS!!!!

GO BUCKS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

KBonay's picture
+3 HS
OSUStu's picture

Big Cam looks like he is ready to destroy someone there.

If you always put limits on everything you do, physical or anything else, it will spread into your work and into your life. There are no limits. There are only plateaus, and you must not stay there, you must go beyond them.  ~ Bruce Lee

teddyballgame's picture

The hive was about a thousand times more intimidating. 

Quick cals look like something the hoosiers basketball team probably did during the 50's to warmup.

+1 HS
bodast67's picture

The Hive brings recruits to Ohio State !

" I hope when I die, I die laughing"...                

+3 HS
Seattle Linga's picture

So does Urban !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! LOL

+2 HS
NCBuck1's picture

I'd like to hear the players take on this topic.  Anyone have access to someone on the team?

buckz4evr's picture

Meechy?  You there?

zacisone's picture

Yea, The Hive and We Ready need to be there. Quick Cals are cool too though. Maybe all 3?

Zacisone

rbesr's picture

The Hive, hands down. Quick Cals just don't do it for me. 

+1 HS
otrain2416's picture

I like that Quick Cals get the student section involved, but the hive is way more badass. Solution: Bring the hive back and have the student section breakdown lock arms and rock back and forth. 

Seattle Linga's picture

Let's hope we see a change back to the hive. Music, crowd, 105K plus screaming, players, craziness ensues = very intimidating atmosphere.

The Rill Dill's picture

It is also time to end Seven Nations Army.  What say you?  It's too soccer stadium-ish.

+1 HS
HeuermanTheFireman's picture

Nah, it is awesome IMO. Gets the place rocking.

The person responsible for toes clearly wanted you to stub them.

TopDog's picture

Im all for getting the Students involved,we need the excitement and energy they bring in. Lets face it The Ohio State University has a massive alumni many whom are older and buy the majority of tickets.

I would love to see the Hive return and at the same time make the connection with the students thru the stadiums PA guy.

He is the "hype man"

Whoa Nellie's picture

This would be cool, instead.

“Don’t fear criticism. The stands are full of critics. They play no ball. They fight no fights. They make no mistakes because they attempt nothing. Down on the field are the doers, they make mistakes because they attempt many things.”

+3 HS
DCBucki's picture

Actually, Hawaii does that too. The All Blacks are known for doing it before all their Rugby games. I saw it in person and it's pretty intense!!

"The deadliest weapon in the world is a MARINE and his rifle!"
GEN. PERSHING, US.ARMY

GoBucks713's picture

If you went to basketball games, you would realize the Hive is alive and well in the student section.

-The Aristocrats!

+1 HS
ShowThemOhiosHere's picture

Is there a reason that they can't do both the Hive and Quick Cals?  After all, I thought they did the Hive when coming out onto the field for warmups, and Quick Cals before they head back to the locker room after warmups.

Class of 2010.

ShowThemOhiosHere's picture

<posted twice>

Class of 2010.

RedStorm45's picture

As 713 said above, the students really get into The Hive before basketball games.  I'm sure it could carry over into The Shoe.  It was pretty damn cool to see on Tuesday.