Ohio State Football Forum

Ohio State Football Forum

Ohio State football talk.

Coaching Tidbits

Grayskullsession's picture
February 7, 2014 at 6:52am
10 Comments

Hey guys. I recently spoke to someone who works in the Athletic Department  and wanted to pass along some info:

• Larry Johnson: He said that he is one of the most down to earth and humble people. Hes very much a father figure within the coaching staff and the players are already responding positively to his presence.
  • Chris Ash: He said that Chris is all business. He hates to lose and that's one of the things that attracted him to Ohio State. They are setup to win and win now. I asked him about why Arkansas's defense was so horrible last year under Ash. He said that Ash told him that Arkansas secondary was one of the most timid groups hes ever coached. They hated contact and tackling. Because of this he had to scheme his defense around that which is a nightmare as a defensive coach.
  • The rumor about Vrabel laying his hands on Urban is absolutely false. Vrabel saw an opportunity to move up and had Urban's blessing.
  • Marcus Baugh is on his way back from trouble but is going to have to jump through some hoops to make it back in Urban's good graces. As long as he stays on the straight and narrow he will be a starter at TE in the future. They specifically didn't go hard after any TE other than Gesicki because they feel good about where they are right now with the other TEs.

Hope you enjoy this stuff and have a good weekend!!!

TMac's picture
+6 HS
BuckToAsT's picture

Is that Tweet a reliable source?  I heard Vrabel challenged Meyer to a duel, which Meyer declined.  That led to the attack from Vrabel.

I thought this was BS.  Vrabel is so much better than that.  Shame other OSU "fan sites" are spreading these crap rumors.

EDIT:  I tried using italics for the first paragraph -- either you can't see italics on the Mobile site, or the editor has a bug.

+5 HS
MN Buckeye's picture

Thanks, Gray! I like how Ash and Johnson bring very different coaching styles and personas to the program. After watching the video interview with Larry, I was hoping to spend Thanksgiving dinner at his house, as he seems the type of guy that cares deeply about people. Ash seems like a driven, young, Urban Meyer.

+3 HS
mr.green's picture

Nice to have a post that cuts through the rumors and adds to our understanding of the team UFM has put together. Thanks, Gray. 

+2 HS
buckeye4life050233's picture

I like Ash because one of the worst things about our defense last year was re-routing the slot receivers with linebackers, attacking screen passes, and the ability to get off the field defensively on 3rd down.  Too many times we had teams in 2nd and 15 or 3rd and 10 or more and gave up too high of a percentage of 1st downs.  If we would have been able to get off the field even 10% more often than we did this past year it would have given our offense that many more opportunities to score and not have to play a flawless offensive game to win.  Ash brings a strong knowledge of studying the oppositions game film and his teams normally rank inside the top 20 in getting off the field on 3rd downs

+2 HS
Colerain 2004 G.O.A.T.'s picture

Glad to hear from another source that the coaches fighting is just a ploy by the BuckeyeTMZ site to add subscriptions...Hopefully tOSU will eventually cut them off from info and access. Wasn't they the clowns that pissed off the Holmes family by ruining Jaylns thunder? Same clowns that reported a player dead? All to try to boost subscriptions and to be the first to report. This staff is high quality and thankfully they do not resort to that type of immature nonsense just to make a name for themselves.

I speak the truth but I guess that's a foreign language to yall.~~Lil Wayne

+7 HS
PittBuckeye's picture

I can see how coaching a secondary that doesn't want to tackle could be a problem. So break up every single pass attempt or just give up?

teddyballgame's picture

Ash seems to have a no-nonsense aggressive kind of personality.  I hope that rubs off on the secondary.

Phillips.449's picture
COME ON we all know Vrabel didn't lay his hands on Coach! Vrabel uses his flipping face!
+1 HS
buckeye4life050233's picture