Ohio State Basketball Forum

Ohio State Basketball Forum

Ohio State basketball fan talk.

Update on Lawrence Funderburke

+45 HS
HINYG8's picture
February 21, 2024 at 1:37pm
25 Comments

I got to know him a bit the summer after he left IU and was transferring to OSU.

He grew up the Columbus area, so he was coming home. We had the same summer job for the last few weeks before classes resumed. He was really impressive, super smart and very kind. I was stunned when Dickie V called him a cheap shot mother effer....because Lawrence was just an outstanding person of high character.

Anyway, we didn't stay in touch, but I suppose if I had a chance to speak with him he would recall who I am after about 30 seconds of framing how we met.

I believe he went on to have a 4.0 GPA in finance at OSU, play in the NBA for a few years. He was the league's Man of the Year, an honor earned for all the work he did (and still does) in the community.

Anyway, a week or so ago we had the local news on here in CBus and they did a feature on him. Turns out he has set up a foundation/non for profit to help school kids find positive role models. The news segment was very impressive and Lawrence was, not surprisingly, super well spoken and genuine. 

So amazing to see how hard he works to help the community, and he talked about how important it is to him because he grew up in a tough neighborhood with difficult circumstances. 

So if you are in Cbus, keep an eye out for him...he is doing some great work for kids who need some help finding true north. Be proud to know he is a fellow buckeye....time and change will surely show!

This is a forum post from a site member. It does not represent the views of Eleven Warriors unless otherwise noted.

View 25 Comments