Ohio State Basketball Forum

Ohio State Basketball Forum

Ohio State basketball fan talk.

Scoring Balance and Depth on This Buckeye Squad

+4 HS
bsk33's picture
February 6, 2021 at 7:42am
28 Comments

I am staying away from the seeding and ranking talk ('I'm not superstitious, but I am a little stitious'). But I am a stat guy and wanted to look up the Bucks' scoring averages since Ahrens joined the starting 5.

Obviously there are plenty of former Buckeye teams with more top end talent (EJ is likely the only candidate for an All Big 10 team), but I am not sure I can remember a squad with quite the balance and scoring depth as this one. Small sample size of 7 games, so it may not be sustainable, but here are the numbers since Justin joined the starting five:

EJ 17.3 ppg
Duane 13.7
Justice 11.6
Justin 9.9
Kyle 9.3

CJ has averaged 6.8 ppg (in approx 25 mins per game) since returning 4 games ago. For the CJ haters, Bucks are 4-0 in those games.

Zed has averaged 6.1 ppg (in less than 12 mins per game) in the last 7 games. I have not looked up his per 40 mins scoring and rebound numbers overall, but they have to be crazy good.

Seth is obviously hit or miss, with multiple goose egg games including Iowa on Thursday. But he has 4 double digit scoring games in the Big 10. That's pretty damn good for your 3rd guy off the bench and #8 scoring option.

And Meechie is even more inconsistent with mins and scoring. But as we have seen, he is not afraid of the moment, hitting two big threes on Thursday and another big one against Illinois. Again, pretty good for the 4th or 5th guy off the bench and your 9th scoring option. And did you guys know he is only 17 years old and should be a senior in HS? I think I heard an announcer say that one time.

Obviously Musa and Eugene (at least at this point in his career) are more situational defensive players. But any points you get from your 10th and 11th scoring options are just icing on the cake.

This is a forum post from a site member. It does not represent the views of Eleven Warriors unless otherwise noted.

View 28 Comments