Ohio State Basketball Forum

Ohio State basketball fan talk.

What I'm Hearing Regarding Ohio State's Coaching Search

0 HS
Tim Shoemaker's picture
June 8, 2017 at 3:55pm
134 Comments

This is fun, isn't it?

Coaching searches are wild and the one Ohio State is currently in the midst of is especially crazy. I've heard at least 10 names associated with this job over the last few days — some realistic, some not — and there still doesn't appear to be a ton of clarity at this point.

Here's what I know as of Thursday afternoon:

Myself, and many other reporters following this closely, felt Greg McDermott was going to end up being the choice. That obviously wasn't the case as he put out a statement earlier today that he'd be remaining at Creighton.

The name that's re-emerged is Butler's Chris Holtmann. He was an early candidate in this whole thing but I was told sometime either Tuesday or Wednesday he removed himself from the search. Why is he back involved? I don't know the answer to that, but there's a bit of smoke surrounding him right now.

There's been plenty of smoke in this whole thing, though, so take that with a grain of salt. I thought McDermott was going to be the choice last night and earlier Wednesday I thought Fred Hoiberg had a really strong shot too based on what I was hearing. Obviously, neither of those happened.

Also, the same plane Gene Smith flew on to meet with McDermott in Omaha yesterday flew to Roanoke, Virginia on Tuesday. That would presumably be to meet with Buzz Williams of Virginia Tech. To me, he still seems like a secondary option right now, though.

I know there are also reports out there of a potential interview with Mike Brown of the Golden State Warriors. I haven't been able to confirm if a meeting is actually happening, but to me, that just seems like an odd fit. 

Stay tuned. This is all still very fluid and has been all week.

My gun-to-head pick right now, though, is Holtmann and, all things considered, would be a big win for Ohio State. 

This is a forum post from a site member. It does not represent the views of Eleven Warriors unless otherwise noted.

View 134 Comments