Ohio State Basketball Forum

Ohio State Basketball Forum

Ohio State men's and women's basketball discussion.

Esa Ahmad on commitment watch?

Gobucks2204's picture
July 31, 2014 at 4:35pm
15 Comments

Esa Ahmad is visiting OSU on Saturday. From watching his highlights I really think he has a huge upside.  How many scholarships do we have left for 2015? Could we take Carlton Bragg and Esa conceivably? Or do we take the first one who commits, and bank any scholarships we have left over?

My untrained eye likes Esa Ahmad better even though he is ranked lower than Carlton Bragg. Could we take both of them? What does everyone else think?  Matta is building a national championship caliber team based on the 2014 and 2015 classes. We are entering a golden age of buckeye greatness with Urban and Matta! Isn't it awesome?!

tennbuckeye19's picture

They play the same position, so I doubt Thad takes both. Scholarship-wise, they could take both cause they have 2 spots open, but I don't see it happening. I would guess they'd want to have space for 2016.

This site has their roster and offer info per year.

+2 HS
Gobucks2204's picture

Thanks Tenn.  I see us taking Esa when he commits and banking the other scholarship for 2016.  Would love to get V.J King for 2016.  Getting Esa Ahmad along with Giddens, Grandstaff, Mickey Mitchell, and A.J Harris would give them possibly the number one class in the nation, or at least top 5, right?

+1 HS
JakeStevensIsSwag's picture

Definitely top 10. The huge powerhouses like Duke, Kentucky, Kansas, and Lousiville will be in on a bunch of 5 stars. However a top 5 isnt unrealistic.

Buckeye fan from PA

+1 HS
Squirrel Master's picture

Whoever commits I'll take, just as long as one of them comes to OSU. With the talent already committed, either or will be fine by me.

I agree, Esa seems a bit more polished with still some upside. I think he will fit better, but Bragg is a heck of a player to get and he could play anywhere he wants.

I saw a UFO once.......it told me to have a goodyear!

+2 HS
WesPatterson23's picture

Well it looks like Bragg is more of a PF and Ahmed is more of a SF, so I'd say they could take both.

+3 HS
Gobucks2204's picture

For the life of me, I can't figure out why Mickey Mitchell isn't ranked higher. I know he had the injury, but he is probably my favorite recruit in a long time.  His court awareness and passing are off the charts!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=62FDbcL-OTY

+3 HS
buckeyebfd's picture

Just watched that,  for someone still in high school his court awareness is off the charts

+1 HS
mh277907's picture

I believe the only guys on scholly will be Loving, Williams, Bates-Diop, Tate, Bell, Russell and Thompson. So that would leave room for 6. I would imagine Thad stops at 5 to allow him the ability to add 1, possibly 2 if someone leaves early, for 2016.

PS - we will be really young in 2 years. 1 JR, 2 RS So (I am putting Thompson here), 4 true sophomore, 5 true freshman. Very talented though. 

buckeyebobcat

+2 HS
buckeyewiseman's picture

Just saw Jerry Meyer quoted his article on 247 that there is a "strong possibility" of a commitment from ESA come Saturday! Back to back great classes for Thad it looks like :)

+3 HS
Seattle Linga's picture

I've thought for a long time that the Buckeyes really need Esa. If he commits this weekend. HOLY COW - I've followed his entire high school career 

+2 HS
Gobucks2204's picture

Esa guarded Lebron at the Lebron skills academy. Hopefully Lebron put a bug in his ear to goto OSU during their time together. Has to be a surreal feeling guarding the best basketball player in the world.

http://highschoolsports.cleveland.com/news/article/1393235383603388598/l...

+1 HS
Seattle Linga's picture

I have a suspicion that it was more than a bug in his ear. 

+1 HS
Gobucks2204's picture

Anyone know how Esa's visit went today? He had his visit today (Saturday).