Ohio State Basketball Forum

Ohio State Basketball Forum

Ohio State men's and women's basketball discussion.

Can we get a coach like this

trock's picture
April 24, 2014 at 12:07pm
9 Comments
HattanBuck85's picture

But we had Chris Jent....

"The height of human desire is what wins, whether it's on Normandy Beach or in Ohio Stadium." - Woody Hayes

+1 HS
d5k's picture

Glad you used the sarcasm font.  I like Jent a lot and I'm sure he is a good coach, but they made some reckless decisions with Craft's shot that failed miserably and there was an overall big lack of improvement in shooting compared to the pre-Jent era.

Speaking of Craft, I really hope the Spurs take him as he could be George Hill 2.0 or PG version of Kawhi Leonard.

-1 HS
tennbuckeye19's picture

I don't know what the problem was when he was with OSU, but most people credit Jent with helping LeBron improve his shot while he was with Cleveland. 

+1 HS
d5k's picture

Lebron's shot has continued to improve throughout his career.  Perhaps Lebron deserves more of the credit for just working at it.  It also could be with less contact time that NBA concepts and tinkering do not work as well at the college level.  I think of it kind of like a golf swing overhaul, much easier to do that with a veteran PGA player than a young golfer.

-1 HS
jamesrbrown322's picture

Don't you listen to Skip Bayless? LeBron doesn't deserve credit for ANYTHING!!!!

"I can accept failure, but I cannot accept not trying." - W.W. Hayes

tennbuckeye19's picture

True. Just pointing out Jent was LeBron's personal shooting coach in Cleveland and helped him improve his shot. LeBron certainly deserves credit for working on his game and becoming a better all around player, though.

BHT's picture

I think Jent did a good (not great) job with the shooting. Everyone's shot was not as good this year as it was in past years. Even Craft's shot was improving ever-so-slightly under Jent, but it went funky when Jent left. I think we missed Jent this season. Hopefully the new recruits are good at shooting so we won't need the shooting coach to be that good (though a good shooting coach is a must on an elite basketball team).

d5k's picture

I'll take a poor man's version of Engelland.

alust2013's picture

I would be down for that. As evidenced by the ridiculously fun to watch and totally should have won the tournament 2010-11 team, if you have 2-3 dudes that have a sweet jumper (three dudes that shot better than 46% overall, and 43% or better from 3), that will help you out a lot. Granted, that team also had Sully, who was basically an automatic double-double every game, but still, they shredded a pretty deep Big Ten. That Wisconsin game is still the best.

...and Michigan still sucks.