Ohio State Basketball Forum

Ohio State Basketball Forum

Ohio State men's and women's basketball discussion.

Please leave AMIR

bigDbuck's picture
March 20, 2014 at 10:46pm
90 Comments

Holy smoke, I have never seen anyone more lazy, soft, uninspired in 20 years of watching bucks. If he doesn't get it by now then why is he wasting time here. Horrible!! Useless!! Ship him back. 

WhySoSerious's picture

Lol. Now that wasn't nice..

But I kinda agree. 

Rare&Uncommon

Like the ball in the stands, we balls out

+6 HS
Deadly Nuts's picture

He is from *ichigan....

LEBRON

+4 HS
KBonay's picture

Damn you Birm...

@Birm: Adrien Payne from Ohio scores 41, Amir Williams from Michigan scores 0. #NotAGoodTrade

+12 HS
MacG91's picture

Payne was in sullengers class, would of been nice to bring him in with sully. 

Mac..yeah

+1 HS
Bolt's picture

Wasn't for lack of trying. They wanted Payne...Payne wanted MSU/Izzo.

Jdadams01's picture

Can't overly blame him...

skid21's picture

Payne was never going to play with Sully. That is a fact. Anyone who followed hoops recruiting at that time knew that was true. I'm glad we had Sully, even if it was only for 2 years.

CRAFTFORTHESTEAL's picture

Send Q back as well, can't play D and dosent seem like a team player.

Pay It Forward!

-10 HS
Deadly Nuts's picture

Yeah, let's just send our only source of offense back home. I hope that was sarcasm....

LEBRON

+3 HS

No sarcasm, don't care for the kid. Plays only when he wants too, and dosent care about defense. I'd love to see him go, he isn't all that. 

Pay It Forward!

-2 HS
Deadly Nuts's picture

lol. The defense won't get any better without him. 

LEBRON

+4 HS

I'd rather see Della in there or one of the freshman coming in.

Pay It Forward!

-7 HS
OSU069's picture

Then you have no idea what you're talking about. We wouldn't have even cracked. 50 points in a lot of our games this year without Ross . 

+6 HS

Just sayin, I know they would have been worse off this season, going forward. I like what is coming in, Q will never be Thomas like. 

Pay It Forward!

bleedscarlet's picture

Teams knew to clog the lane on the Bucks and since Q's game is more being creative around the rim than jump shots it left him throttled. The lack of consistent outside threats completely changed the dynamics of what this team, and Q, could have been. If we get someone in there that can drain 3s, he'll add 10-12 to his average and be a first round pick.

I'm too drunk to taste this chicken

+1 HS
Nick's picture

Q plays good defense when he is the 5. He consistently strips the ball from them when they make their move.

+1 HS
johnblairgobucks's picture

if Amir somehow can acquired the strength of the average Ohio State student, and Matta can teach him where the block area is on offense, and he can inspire himself to raise his arms above his head, he could become an average post player.

Someone needs to tell that kid that he has about 365 days to motivate himself, because, with an improvement a professional team somewhere would give him and his size a shot at a potential to make $$$$ exercising for a few hours a day ..... enough $$$$ to never have to work again, after his playing days are over.

However if Amir doesn't want it, or really care (he seems to play the game like someone playing because he thinks he has to, instead of wanting to) then there isn't much hope for any developement.

Bill Robinson, from back in the day, would have gone for a double double on Amir.

+3 HS
lamplighter's picture

John Anderson?  Granville?  Both showed more want-to

Youngbuck85's picture

I wonder what the deal with this team was. The whole year there just wasn't chemistry or desire to win. Maybe a locker room issue? My guess is the other players were tired of craft getting all the attention. No one came to him during time outs when he would try to group everyone together. Something was just off this year 

UrbanPirate's picture

I don't think Craft was the problem, or at least certainly not "all the attention Craft was getting" as far as his teammates were concerned. Though I do agree that there just seemed to be something missing this year that has been present in teams past... I just can't put my finger on it; fortunately I'm not the coach, and I trust that Thad will take some time to reflect and make the needed tweeks for next season. 

*Also, for anyone reading this comment in real time (around 10:15 am) I just tuned in to The Herd on ESPN radio to hear whoever the guest host today say that they're going to discuss Aaron Craft's pro prospects coming up... Should be an interesting listen.

Just... Go Bucks.

+3 HS
skid21's picture

So Craft was to blame for all the bad decisions and bad shots LSJ made/took? And the lazy play of Amir? Those two are more to blame for the suck ass team we had this year than Craft by a LONG SHOT. If they are such pussies to quit playing because the media paid more attention to another player than they just need to go away.

Scarlet_Lutefisk's picture
I think you should go back to your seat now, Joey.
+5 HS
Buckeyevstheworld's picture

He's wasting his time getting an education? Good to know.

"YOLO" = I'm about to do something extremely ignorant/stupid & I need an excuse to do it.

+4 HS
Unky Buck's picture

Wait, I thought it was well known that they didn't come to OSU to play school?

+2 HS
bleedscarlet's picture

He's stealing that education. Took that scholarship and giving nothing back for it, not even effort.....

-3 HS
Run_Fido_Run's picture

The "hit the road, Amir" rants over the last two days are irrational. Even if it's true that Amir lacks any desire, fire for the game - and, heck, his play and on-court attitude certainly lend credence to that assessment - it's unnecessary to send him packing. Matta could simply announce to the team that he's preparing McDonald to start next season and play 25+ minutes and that he envisions Amir being a marginal bench player.

At that point, Amir would either quit the team outright, keep his schollie but fade into bball obscurity, or get that damn fire in his belly.

+8 HS
skid21's picture

I think the frustration is that he is taking up a 'ship. He has been a detriment to the team. A major disappointment. It is one thing if you just aren't talented enough. It is another if you play disinterested and uninvolved. He isn't earning his 'ship and any student who is scrapping by to pay his own way is going to be pissed that he floats along. As a fan I'd just like him to go somewhere where he can earn his keep.

Squirrel Master's picture

I kind of agree that Amir should be better but its not Amir's fault the whole team can't shoot free throws or make an outside shot. There is a reason teams play zone and succeed and its not because a lack of an inside game. Its because this team can't shoot!

Besides, Amir isn't going anywhere. He is absolutely going to play for this team next year whether you like it or not. Hopefully OSU gets Myles Turner so Amir won't be the starter.

But I would prefer Q to leave anyways! He missed so many bunny layups and is so inconsistent. I would prefer LSJ to leave, and he is, because he thinks he is a 3 point threat and he isn't.

the team sucked at shooting, but keep blaming Amir.

I saw a UFO once.......it told me to have a goodyear!

+1 HS
Unky Buck's picture

I would prefer LSJ to leave, and he is, because he thinks he is a 3 point threat and he isn't.

Lenzelle has been my least favorite player in a long, long time. He is a terrible shooter who thinks he's great. I just never understood why Thad felt he was one of our best options. Maybe the younger guys weren't quite ready, but they couldn't have been worse than LSJ.

+4 HS
Run_Fido_Run's picture

Both Della Valle and Loving are more talented than LSJ, but first they need to hit the weight room! Matta played LSJ because he was a tough defender and rebounded very well. 

+2 HS
Run_Fido_Run's picture

I can't agree about Q. I'm no bball expert - and not even really a bball junkie - but it seems to me that Q's main deficiency is that he has a poor handle. Give him a good handle and, yeah, he'll miss some shots, but he'll also instantly become a terror to opposing defenders.

I'll draw a loose parallel to Evan Turner's career at Ohio State, while knowing full well that the Villian was an all-around superior player to Q. During Turner's frosh and soph seasons, he was a dynamic player, but turned the ball over a lot because he had a so-so handle and would lose the ball in traffic. Remember the first round loss to Siena when Turner had 5 TOs? Well, he spent the following off season working tirelessly on his ball handling and he had a great junior season. Technically, his TOs per game actually increased, but that was because he was more confident driving into traffic. In his three seasons at Ohio State, Turner's assist-to-turnover ratio increased from 1.1 (soph) to 1.4 (junior). His overall shooting percentage climbed from 0.503 to 0.519, even though his 3-pt shooting dropped from 0.440 (soph) to 0.364 (junior) because he was able to create better shots for himself and teammates.

Simply get Q a better handle and he'll be just fine.

+2 HS

which starting centers for Ohio State in the past 25 years do you think Amir is better than?

Perry Carter, Lawrence Funderburke, Grady Mateen, Dials, Johnson, Sullinger, Oden, Ravenel, Lauderdale, Mullens, Othello Hunter, Radinovic.......going down the and I'm not seeing many, if any.  Even Bill Robonson, Rick Yudt or Nate Wilbourne I'm not so sure of. 

Amir's play may not have been this teams only problem, because they shot poorly, but his dropped passes, inability to score and rebound effectively weren't helping much.

+1 HS
OSU_ALUM_05's picture

Trying to name pre-Thad centers for OSU basketball would be an impossibly difficult trivia question (assuming no Google involvement)

+1 HS

see, say that there was a much, much bigger issue than Amir (and you can't argue with me that this teams shooting was minor compared to Amir) and we start comparing the kid to other past players.

I will repeat, I agree Amir isn't a good player and IF we can get Turner, then Amir would be on the bench! I said it, you just failed to read it John!

but the ultimate point is that this team CAN'T SHOOT! If you want to look at past centers, go back and look for a team that has practically a 100% shooting percentage WHEN YOU COMBINE THE 3PT% AND FT%? (32.4% AND 68.8% for the season)

Okay, lets look back at a great buckeye center, Greg Oden. What happened in that National Championship game when Oden dominated and they STILL LOST? I believe it was 2-21 before two late shots. Even the best centers can't beat a zone without good shooting, its not Amir's fault this team sucks, he is just the scape goat for worst problems!

+1 HS

I didn't fail to read anything in your past post.  I just posed a question, and then agreed with your thoughts on the team being poor shooters...

look, I agree Amir isn't the reason we didn't advance in the tournament, and even if this team had Greg Oden, they wouldn't have won it all.  However I don't think  Amir gives any quality minutes.  Sometimes it seems as if the Buckeyes are trying to go 4 against 5 when he is on the floor.

well he definitely shouldn't be starting, we both are in agreement. I just think Amir gets the whipping boy treatment when we could all see from his freshman year he was raw as hell. My expectations this year was still low. He just doesn't do well for more than maybe 5 minutes on the floor, he should be on the bench.

IDK, I agree with everyone that he isn't that good but I think he gets the rap worse than he should compared to players who we all did have higher expectations for. To me, if anyone thought Amir would be a legit starting center after last year, I think it was a mistake to think anything more than what we got. and next year, I hope people don't expect more than this, but he will be on the court so be ready. Unless Myles Turner comes walking out of that tunnel, Amir will be the starting center again.

although I have more expectations to another raw big, David Bell. I think he isn't very polished but much more active than Amir. If he is as big as I think he is now, I think he could be the post without Turner. I think his upside is very underestimated and he will be less plodding.

southbay's picture

Seems to me Amir is a good player when he's motivated, it's just not even close to 100% of the time.  How sad.  I guess Coach Matta has tried everything by now, just can't get through to the young man.

I looked up Myles Turner on 247, and it doesn't appear that he has any interest in OSU at this point.  Why does his name keep coming up on this forum?

skid21's picture

Why does his name keep coming up on this forum?

Because he is the only chance we have to improve at the C position next year. Amir will start again if he doesn't come to OSU. That is something none of us want to see.

+1 HS
Seattle Linga's picture

Agreed 100% - he needs to meet Coach Mick now that it's the off season.

Jack Fu's picture

Amir Williams's OSU career, in one photo:

+29 HS
Hovenaut's picture

That's painful to look at.

At least he didn't foul the guy? (can you confirm, Mr. Official?)

+1 HS
PittBuckeye's picture

Umm maybe it's just the angle? He might have been glued to the floor?

gobucks96's picture

That photo pisses me off.... The kid was incredibly lazy yesterday and makes me mad when I see someone wasting something many people would cherish..

+4 HS
JDunc686's picture

I don't think you should let the photo piss you off when if you really look at it, it seems like the play is actually over and the guy is just putting up a lay up after the whistle, pretty sure that Amir is just raising his hand to own up to the foul

+2 HS
Deadly Nuts's picture

On the far left of the photo you can see the ref making a call.

LEBRON

BHT's picture

I logged in just to upvote that. Both our centers cannot seem to handle the ball but at least McDonald tries to play. Why didn't he start? Williams just does not care. I noticed this yesterday, even though it has been happening all year, but he seems to walk back to the end of the court on both offense and defense. He is not even running back on fast breaks. I will be glad to see him go, but lets hope and wait for Turner.

+2 HS
740Bucks's picture

Also logged in just to Up-Vote this!

Seriously though, he has almost fully extended his left arm - no small accomplishment! Nevermind he is several feet from the opponent shooting uncontested from about 3 feet from the hoop, you just can't question the defensive intensity. Amir - putting the WEAK in weakside defense. Think about it... his left heel is completely off of the floor (not the toe, just the heel). 

"My idea of a good hit is when the guy wakes up on the sidelines with train whistles blowing in his head." - Jack Tatum

+2 HS
BHT's picture

Loved your post 740Bucks. +1.

southbay's picture

What is he wearing, BTW?  Maybe his true calling is to be a Shakespearean actor.

Seems appropriate to consider.  To be or not to be?  That is the question here.

+1 HS
Seattle Linga's picture

Pitiful - just pitiful - this should be put in his locker to remind him of what not to do.

brandonbauer87's picture

Anyone with the opinion that Amir needs to leave the team should also think Matta needs fired. He's the starter. He's better than Trey.  You can criticize his play, and rightfully so, but step back a little bit. This team isn't better without him. He's not a dominate big man, but get off his di...back. 

Jack Fu's picture

No one honestly thinks he should be kicked off the team or out of school. We're just recognizing that he stinks.

But you get an upvote for that last line. Well done.

+2 HS
Buckeyevstheworld's picture

No one honestly thinks he should be kicked off the team or out of school

PLEASE LEAVE AMIR

I can think of at least one person that thinks he should.

"YOLO" = I'm about to do something extremely ignorant/stupid & I need an excuse to do it.

+6 HS
Jack Fu's picture

I'm being charitable and assuming that he's using hyperbole as a rhetorical device.

brandonbauer87's picture

I think some people are serious. 

+2 HS
Earle's picture

Please tell me you're not suggesting that we need a hyperbole font, too?

Italics are for emphasis.

+2 HS
brandonbauer87's picture

Nope. Hyperbole, like sarcasm, requires no additional identifier when done properly. 

Unky Buck's picture

I respectfully disagree...

+1 HS
acBuckeye's picture

There's a difference between starting somebody b/c they're good and they've earned it, or starting them to help build their confidence..... and starting somebody b/c YOU HAVE NO OTHER OPTIONS. Amir falls into that last category.

Could Thad have recruited a little better for the post position? I'm sure he'd tell you yes, but he tried and the guys he went after ended up elsewhere. It happens in recruiting from time to time. Matta is a top 10 coach. I'd have to believe that he's tried everything he can to get through to Amir. Amir's had 3 years to ingest everything and it clearly isn't working. Time to sit the bench or move on, buddy.

+2 HS
bleedscarlet's picture

Hmmm... Do you think Urban should be fired for not getting Hyde the ball at the end of the B1G CCG? Will get off his back when he starts trying....

southbay's picture

...get off his di...back. 

Hmmm....I know it's just hypothetical, but I wonder how Urban Meyer would deal with the situation. 

acBuckeye's picture

My comment from today's Skully:

I don't pin the loss solely on Amir (he certainly contributed to it) and I don't have anything against him personally (I'm sure he's a nice kid), but watching him has gotten to the point where I think it's best for all parties involved if he just quit and moved on. He's taking up a scholarship that some other kid out there would be dying to have. Some kid who would lay it out on the floor every time he took the court and never look back. The lack of fire, passion, hustle and intensity from him (on the same team as Aaron Craft, no less) absolutely boggles my mind.

+5 HS
gobucks96's picture

gotta wonder what he's thinking..

+1 HS
BuckeyeStrong2's picture

I remember when Amir committed to OSU, I was very excited and thought 'Finally we get a center that is a center (Sully was a 4 if I were Thad, yet at that point I expected Amir to come in and have a fire lit under him to play 5... stupid me) and we will have a post presence reminiscent of Oden, As each season went by I have become more and more cognizant of the fact that Williams just does not have it in him, apparently. 

I hope Thad is able to develop McDonald and get Turner to Cbus (as someone already stated) and work to get both on the court next season. While running a 3-guard or "small" lineup is a luxury at times, in order to become a consistent contender we definitely need a legitimate post presence. 

+3 HS
southbay's picture

I don't know if it's already been said, since the answer is painfully obvious, but would Sanford have attempted that last drive into the paint yesterday if the Buckeyes had had a legitimate post presence?

Whoa Nellie's picture

"Maybe we have an obligation to train Pvt. Santiago. [Amir].  Yes, I certain I read that somewhere."

Maybe a Code Red is in order?

“Don’t fear criticism. The stands are full of critics. They play no ball. They fight no fights. They make no mistakes because they attempt nothing. Down on the field are the doers, they make mistakes because they attempt many things.”

-1 HS
OSUFlash's picture

What you did with Amir is you cut his right hamstring and he won't be able to transfer his weight when he follows through. He'll push everything to the right; he'll quit the game. :)

osuflash

-1 HS
Unky Buck's picture

Cannonball! Cannonball comin'!

Mortc15's picture

I've always really liked Matta as a coach, but he's had some big misses recently and Sibert and a few others who have transferred. Sibert didnt have a big game yesterday, but no one can argue it wouldn't be nice to have a 40+% three point shooter on the roster.

As far as Williams goes, I'm unsure whether he even wants to play basketball. He needs to get together or get out. Fortunately, he's only got 1 year left of eligibility.

Buck-I4Life

daveyt11's picture

Agreed...Shannon Scott over Trey Burke? and lets be honest....If it weren't for Sully pushing (after the Pearl BBQ)...we wouldn't have Craft...excerpt from story..............It took convincing from Jared Sullinger for Thad Matta to extend a scholarship offer toAaron Craft. But it didn’t take long for the five-star prospect’s recommendation to pay dividends for the Ohio State head coach.

It’s hard to believe now that Matta wasn’t immediately sold on Craft, who ranks as the Buckeyes’ all-time leader in both steals and assists. Also currently tied for the Big Ten’s all-time steals record, the 19th-ranked point guard in the 2010 class has enjoyed one of the more storied careers in college basketball history -- one that was almost spent elsewhere.

"When I committed to Ohio State, Coach Matta said we need to add more people to the class. Not more so, you know, top-ranked basketball players, but solid basketball players," Sullinger said. "I kept telling him about Aaron. I was like, ‘Coach, get Aaron. You got to get Aaron.'"

-1 HS
Deadly Nuts's picture

If we didn't have Craft then we would've gotten Burke because Matta would've been forced to take two PG's in that class.

LEBRON

buckeyestu's picture

Maybe Amir should guzzle red bull before games, at timeouts, and during halftime. As for Q, he needs to come back and learn to play some defense and work on his overall game, then maybe he will be a decent NBA player. As bad as my Cleveland Cavaliars are, he would be useless to them at this time. As for Smith, I sure he hope gets his degree, I do not see him playing any pro ball unless it is in some foreign country. I know he made the effort most of the time, but he is a pitiful shooter.

+1 HS
ab1993's picture

Or maybe just take a few adderall....

KBonay's picture

Hmmm..maybe the staff could have picked up on something when recruiting him.....

+2 HS
warriard1002's picture

Why are we blaming Amir when somebody on the OSU staff recruited this soory excuse for a center kid

-1 HS
luckynutz's picture

Somewhere in columbus, Luke fickell is writing a thank you note to Amir. For taking on the mantle of persona non grata here in 11w.

+6 HS
Nick's picture

Send Amir Williams to Marrotti and the fb team for the rest of spring/summer and have him come back 6'11 / 280 and have some juice.

+8 HS
southbay's picture

That would take a lot of effort.

OSUGoBucks414's picture

You can't blame everything on Amir. Amir Williams obviously lacks 100% effort every game. He has the ability to score down low, when he desires. If Thad wants to light a fire under Amir Williams, then we need to sign Myles Turner and tell Amir that if he can't outwork Myles, then he will ride the pine his senior year. Ohio State's problem is shooting, which will hopefully be solved with the signing of D'Angelo Russell, Keita Bates-Diop, and Jaesean Tate. Next year, if tOSU can get Turner, we could run a big starting lineup, injury permitting, of course. It could be: 

PG: Shannon Scott 

SG: D'Angelo Russell

SF: Laquinton Ross/ Sam Thompson

PF: Amir Williams (If he shows effort)

C: Myles Turner (If he signs)

PF if Turner doesn't sign: Keita Bates-Diop

C if Turner doesn't sign: Amir Williams

I'm not trying to win popularity poles, I'm trying to win football games. -Woody Hayes

-2 HS
Colerain 2004 G.O.A.T.'s picture

I think Ross and Thompson have to both be starters. If Turner signs Amir will not be on the court at all. Scott,Russell,Thompson,Q,Turner would be the 1-5

I speak the truth but I guess that's a foreign language to yall.~~Lil Wayne

OSU069's picture

Ross and Thompson are both going to be starting next year . If by some miracle we land Myles Turner I think we win the big ten and be championship contenders. 

skid21's picture

Not giving 100% absolutely is a reason to blame someone.

You can't blame everything on Amir. Amir Williams obviously lacks 100% effort every game.

+1 HS
aerobuck's picture

I'm not a big Amir Williams fan, but a good deal of this year's situation is on Matta.  He recruited this team.  He put the fanatical emphasis on defense.  He didn't get/develop a shooter on this team.  When Matta has a stud who can make his own points (Thomas, Sullinger, Turner) his offense works,  when he doesn't then you get this piece of crap offense.  Amir is just another piece of the dysfunctional pie this year.  A big man who doesn't play big, guards who can't shoot, players who are better athletes than bball players, and a coach who refuses to look beyond half-court defense.

+3 HS
BroJim's picture

Ship him back?

I season my simple food with hunger

Seattle Linga's picture

Boy do I miss this guy !!!!!!!!!!

SweetBabyJames's picture

being 6'11 and having great coordination is very rare....

being 6'11 and having great athleticism is very rare...

Amir is 6'11, and does't have great coordination or athleticism...you all should have known this when you first saw him play...i did

some people just don't have it...don't hate on the kid...

you can lead a horse to water...

+1 HS