Ohio State Basketball Forum

Ohio State Basketball Forum

Ohio State men's and women's basketball discussion.

Lineup Twist: McDonald

c92996p's picture
March 14, 2014 at 8:30am
13 Comments

This is going to sound absolutely ridiculous at first, but hear me out:

There are plenty of times in a game where we go with Marc Loving as essentially our 5. What if we came out and had Williams at 5 and McDonald at the 4?

My first reaction to this was: Wouldn't this slow our offense down ridiculously, and essentially prevent us from scoring since we seem to score like half of our points off of fast breaks?

But I actually think that McDonald in the game at the same time as Amir would increase the pace of the game for the Bucks.  With both McDonald and Williams, the chance for a defensive (and offensive) board is a lot more likely.  A quick outlet to Craft/Scott and we could easily have a three man break going the other way. Sure, we would get fewer steals, but teams like Michigan State and Indiana manage to find ways to fast break off of made shots, much less just steals.  Having both bigs in would allow our guards to leak out a little more, giving us more opportunities to run the floor.

Offensively, McDonald provides nothing but the occasional offensive rebound, but often , thats more than Scott will provide for minutes at a time.

Thoughts?

Optimistic Buckeye Pessimist's picture

I think it's too late to try this.  I had thought about this earlier in the year and hoped we'd try it, but we never did.  I'm guessing because we'd foul out quickly.  McDonald and Williams love them some fouls.

+1 HS
Unky Buck's picture

Reminiscent of Sunday where we had to move to a small lineup because Amir got his 3rd foul early so Matta put in McDonald and within 2 seconds got his 3rd foul. Can't afford to do that in the tournament.

+1 HS
Colerain 2004 G.O.A.T.'s picture

Play Q at the 5..When Im watching the game on a little shitty bar TV I always see a tall dude make a sick move down low or grab a crazy rebound and I think to myself "damn Amir has got some game",only to find out every single time that it is Q that made the play.

I speak the truth but I guess that's a foreign language to yall.~~Lil Wayne

+1 HS
GoBucks713's picture

Thad needs to step away from his 3/4 guard system and put Q down low. He's 6'8" and his arms go on for days. He's a very effective rebounder and can make shots in traffic. If he's in the low post, he can extend the defense a bit by stepping out for a 3 every once in a while. OR, instead of playing him at the 4, put him at the 2 and his lenght would be a matchup nightmare and let him and Aaron or Sam play the pick and roll to death.

-The Aristocrats!

InTressITrust's picture

Only problem with this is they both get in foul trouble during the games leaving us without a big man.  I like the theory but we have no depth with a true 4/5.

"I'm not going to lie. We're anxious to be a part of a matchup like that. It's two states that love the game of football." -Jim Tressel

+1 HS
Buckeyebrowny919's picture

I loved this idea when I was thinking on it..but that was mid-season. It would be tough to institute this going into the postseason. While i'm sure both you and I think it is a great idea...I pray to the gods that Matta at least visited this idea during practices. I hope he has a better grasp on how to make this team better than you and I sitting at the keyboard lol. ::fingers crossed::

To give anything less than your best, is to sacrifice the gift - Steve Prefontaine

route4buckeye's picture

McDonald likes getting fouls. I wouldn't be in favor of this. Just look at yesterday for example. Amir picks up his second foul before the Under 12 and McDonald subs in and picks up a foul immediately. I feel like this is every game. I like the guy and I love the effort he brings (much more than Amir), but he's got to stop putting us in a bad spot (so does Amir).

brandonbauer87's picture

I fully expected this to be another post complaining about Amir. Bravo. 

+1 HS
My2Sons's picture

I don't believe McDonald would get into foul trouble as a starter.  Now it's like he knows he's only getting a couple minutes, and all that energy turns into fouls.  I'd start him over Williams.

-1 HS
route4buckeye's picture

i just couldn't see that. You can't have a big man that can't make free throws. It hurts.

+1 HS
Jack Fu's picture

With McDonald and Williams on the floor at the same time, the defensive rebounding may get a little bit better, but on the other end of the floor you're flat-out playing 3-on-5, and two of those three are the similarly offensively-challenged Craft and Smith. No thanks.

EvanstonBuckeye's picture

Wouldn't this slow our offense down ridiculously?

It's hard to imagine it any slower than it is at various stretches currently.

Squirrel Master's picture

I understand you are trying to see about a bigger lineup but as mentioned above, they would foul out so much faster and it would kill any depth at the position.

Instead, my solution is play some minutes with Q at the 3 and have Loving play next to Amir. Loving is active and can really shot block from the weak side very well. I think he would work well next to Amir, better than Mcdonald would.

with that lineup you would have a 6'11' center and two 6'8'' forwards, both who can shoot! Its a big lineup that I think can work well.

I saw a UFO once.......it told me to have a goodyear!