Ohio State Athletics Forum

Ohio State Athletics Forum

Ohio State hockey, baseball, wrestling, track, and other athletics fan talk.

Men's Lacrosse: Hopkins Cracks Buckeyes, 11-10(OT)

+10 HS
beserkr29's picture
April 14, 2024 at 9:51pm
14 Comments

The more things change, the more they stay the same. Came into the game late, but the stats and OT encapsulate the whole 2024 season. At this point, TTUN is going to roll over for Ohio State, and we will see another year of this.

The Buckeyes started out hot. A 3-0 lead at the end of 1 put the Scarlet and Gray in firm control. The 2nd quarter was an even 4-4, giving the Buckeyes a 7-4 lead. Similar to the Penn State game, Ohio State just...faded away.

The third quarter was a 2-2 draw, but in the final quarter, Ohio State ran out of gas. Again. Johns Hopkins ripped off 4 unanswered, and Ohio State managed to force OT by the skin of its teeth with a Man Up opportunity.

Overtime was a complete disaster. The Buckeyes won the faceoff, held the ball for nearly 3 minutes, and got exactly zero shots on goal. Johns Hopkins forced a turnover, took the ball the other way, and, after three chances, finally beat Caleb Fyock to secure the win.

The strength and conditioning of this team has been abysmal for years. Between injuries and the inability to close out games, things are clearly broken. Additionally, the offense failed this team. Again. They got 40 shots and put just 18 on goal. It's a 36 square foot goalmouth. If you're not even CLOSE to 60% SOG, you have a major issue. I said in the preview the Buckeyes would have to volume shoot to win, and they listened. Unfortunately the team literally can't hit the broad side of a barn. This, on a night when Ierlan was well below average, saving just 44% of shots.

Defensively, the Buckeyes did pretty well. But not well enough. Johns Hopkins had 4 less shots, but put 4 more shots than Ohio State on net. There's your difference in the game. The Buckeyes just can't run for 60 minutes, especially when they play top teams. It's predictable and pathetic.

Next week, the Buckeyes take on the Wolverines from Ann Arbor. I can't tell you what the stakes are, because I don't know what the new AD is thinking. Everyone here knows my personal feelings on this staff. It's time for them to go. All of them. But that's not generally how things work. We will see what next weekend brings. Spoiler: I would be STUNNED if Ohio State were to lose.

Go Bucks.

This is a forum post from a site member. It does not represent the views of Eleven Warriors unless otherwise noted.

View 14 Comments