Ohio State Athletics Forum

Ohio State Athletics Forum

Ohio State hockey, baseball, wrestling, track, and other athletics fan talk.

Men's Lacrosse: Buckeyes Shut Detroit Down, 16-10

+9 HS
beserkr29's picture
March 12, 2024 at 9:39pm
10 Comments

It was hardly pretty. But the Buckeyes got a much needed win. It was about as labor intensive as one of these games could be, but still. A W is a W.

Ohio State came out blazing in Q1, slamming shots towards net with abandon. It was 20-5 on shots in the first quarter, as Ohio State looked to be cruising with a 7-1 lead. And then it was an absolute car crash thereafter.

Over the course of the final 3 quarters, Ohio State and Detroit matched each other goal for goal at 9 apiece. The Buckeyes, never an efficient team on offense, ended the half and game with an identical shooting percentage: .308.

That's above average for the Buckeyes this year, but definitely below opponents' average coming into this game. Which kind of is the story of Ohio State's season this year. It's just a problem to get any sort of offense going.

Defensively, the Buckeyes didn't allow that many shots (24), but letting Detroit Mercy score on more than 40% of their shots after the year they've had is criminal. CRIMINAL.

Fyock had 3 saves and allowed 5 goals. Danny Brady saw action and let in 5 goals as well. I can't sugarcoat things. It's not great. Yes, this was a quick turnaround. Yes, it was an easy opponent to overlook. But wow. This is...bad.

The Buckeyes utterly dominated the faceoff dot and groundballs. But otherwise it feels like this was a lucky win. I thought this season might go one of two ways. And it's going the worst case scenario.

I am looking at the remaining schedule, and the best case scenario is two wins: Rutgers and TTUN. But unless things improve dramatically, there's a really good chance at 1 win. Or none. And I am leaning towards the latter.

Lots to work on as Denver comes to town Sunday. Brace yourselves.

Go Bucks!

This is a forum post from a site member. It does not represent the views of Eleven Warriors unless otherwise noted.

View 10 Comments