Ohio State Athletics Forum

Ohio State Athletics Forum

Ohio State hockey, baseball, wrestling, track, and other athletics fan talk.

I Can’t Quit You Baby

+5 HS
MercyTex's picture
June 4, 2017 at 1:19pm
44 Comments

What happened when I tried to quit being an OSU fan

Many years ago my dad coached high school football in a small town in Northwest Ohio and I grew up with coaches and players at the house.  We were a Buckeye affiliated family by choice.  In that part of the state it was about 40% Ohio State, 40% MU, and 20% Notre Dame.  The non sequitur: What is the only thing that Ohio State and MU fans agree on? Notre Dame sucks.

New Years Day 1975, I watch OSU lose the national championship by losing to USC in the Rose Bowl.  I vow to never root for OSU again and I would become a MU fan.  I save up my lawn mowing money and throw down $20 at the Lion store in Toledo for a polyester blue shirt with yellow letters and white shoulders for the MU team.

My father takes me to the Ann Arbor stadium for my birthday.  He buys a couple of tickets from students outside the stadium.  I am wearing my brand new MU shirt, I am sitting in the student section, and the opponent is Missouri (who cares).  The crowd is loud for kickoff.  I stand up to cheer, and….I can’t. 

I sit down and don’t say a word and hope that Missouri would win, but no such luck.  MU won 31-7.  I had fun at the stadium and thanked my Dad for a great day.

When we got home I took off my new shirt and threw it in the trash.  I have been a dedicated OSU fan in any endeavor ever since.  Go Bucks! Beat *ichigan!

Lagniappe: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Uy2tEP3I3DM

This is a forum post from a site member. It does not represent the views of Eleven Warriors unless otherwise noted.

View 44 Comments