Ohio State Athletics Forum

Ohio State Athletics Forum

Ohio State hockey, baseball, wrestling, track, and other athletics discussion.

To OH or not to OH a former Ohio State assistant coach?

Buckeye in Illini country's picture
August 1, 2014 at 2:40pm
18 Comments

So today, I got lunch at Chipotle on U of Illinois' campus.  And sitting there was Illinois basketball head coach (and former Ohio State assistant) John Groce.  Should I have given him a "Go Bucks" or O-H?  He was sitting with a recruit and I would assume assistants/ a couple of current players.  And today, I happened to not be wearing an OSU shirt.  I've also seen him at the rec center two other times this summer with the basketball team (Assembly Hall is under construction).

As Shakespeare would say: "To OH or not to OH, that is the question."  

Edit:  I didn't do it, but I really wanted to.  (Perhaps if I see him at the rec center again, I might).

SavannahBuck's picture

If it had been him only, or maybe him with his family, I would have given him an "OH". If he is with a recruit or current or former players, you would just get a bunch of weird looks.

+1 HS
buckeyejma's picture

Out of curtsey and respect for the former assistant coach, I would acknowledge him by a head nod or hand wave, remember he is representing his present school and to me it would be disrespectful to do so.

Step aside Nick, Urban is the real rock star!

+3 HS
FROMTHE18's picture

I see what you are saying but I wouldn't call it disrespectful. I think its perfectly okay to give an OH. Go Bucks may be a bit much. I'd say its inappropriate if he is with a recruit or a member of his team/program, because you are right, he is representing his current school, and I would not expect him to appreciate it. But, in an informal setting, definitely okay to give an OH. 

+1 HS
cronimi's picture

If he's working for a different school and is "on the clock", I don't think you should do it. Especially if he's at another B1G school, and sitting with a recruit. Wait, let me clarify: if you like the guy and mean "O-H" in a friendly, good-spirited way, then I don't think you should do it. If you want to troll him while he's pitching the Illini program to a talented HS Bball player, then by all means try to get an "I-O" out of him. But whatever your intention, I don't think Groce in that situation would take it well. It'd be like if Thad was at lunch with some hot Cincinnati recruit and some Xavier alum approached him and said "Go Musketeers!". Regardless of how Thad feels about Xavier, I don't think he'd be all that receptive. 

mh277907's picture

Don't be an obnoxious OSU fan. I am sure he wouldn't take offense to it but still. He coaches for Illinois now. If you feel you have to say something to him, thank him for his time at OSU and wish him luck. Otherwise, just leave him be.

buckeyebobcat

BuckNutzGasMan's picture

My best OH moment was to Jalen Rose at a pool at the W resort in Scottsdale.  Had no idea at the time but his wife is a buckeye and gave me the IO.  He just shook his head, laughed, and said something like... "you had to start that?"

Seems like there are a few anti-OH peole on the site, but when in doubt you might as well go for it.

+2 HS
mh277907's picture

Your situation is a little different than yelling "O-H" to a former OSU assistant who is now a head coach at Illinois and at that current moment is trying to do his job while sitting with a recruit.

buckeyebobcat

+2 HS
Scarlet_Buckeye's picture

And sitting there was Illinois basketball head coach ... John Groce

I think you pretty much answered your own question.  You especially can't/shouldn't (unless you wanted to be a choch) if he's with a recruit.

+1 HS
VintonCountyBuck's picture

Man.. I can't even believe some of these comments.  

You absolutely, 100% do it.  Loud and proud is the only way to be a Buckeye.  He left..let him deal with the embarrassment of life in Illinois. That's not your problem.  Buckeye Nation is everywhere, so always carry your Buckeye Pride with you.

Wear it proudly.

“Right now, Michigan is not at the pinnacle of college football, and that’s all Urban Meyer cares about...He’s been there and knows what it takes to get there.” 

-1 HS
mr.green's picture

I would not yell it at him. I would say hello to him and tell him he's a great coach and wish him success in every game except when he plays OSU. If he responds to that I might give him an OH. 

Riggins's picture

Give him the silent O-H arm signal where you aren't in the recruit's line of sight.

+2 HS
whiskeyjuice's picture

I think it would have been ok if he was wearing an OSU shirt.

"Championships are not won on Saturdays in November. Championships are won on Tuesdays in August." -- Kerry Combs

+1 HS
Gobucks2204's picture

I know the dilemma it presents to let loose an OH, or a Go Bucks fly in certain settings. I saw Laquinton Ross in the Vegas airport a few weeks back, and I had the impulse to yell something but I thought it would be tacky and inappropriate so I remained quiet.

Seattle Linga's picture

Yelling O-H in a mixed crowd is never wrong, tacky or inappropriate - only slightly embarrassing if the I-O is not returned.

+1 HS
Gobucks2204's picture

True. I would be afraid TSA would grab me and give me a thorough pat down for yelling near the terminal.

+1 HS
Seattle Linga's picture

So true - good point - it went right by me that you were at the airport. 

A month ago I yelled it in a grocery store because I saw someone wearing Buckeye gear and it got returned in the same volume - gave me instant shivers. How Awesome it is to be a part of Buckeye Nation where it has no boundary lines.

+2 HS
Gobucks2204's picture

Definitely a worldwide phenomenon. Bucks fans are everywhere, and that doesn't just include the gigantic alumni base. We are very blessed to be a part of Buckeye Nation.

+1 HS
PalmettoNut's picture

Marcus Freeman (ex tOSU linebacker) is now with Purdue as an assistant coach.  He did a kids football camp along with Brax and he's a Buckeye all day long.  Not exactly the OP's scenario but Marcus would give and get an O-H...I-O without pause.

+1 HS