Ohio State Athletics Forum

Ohio State Athletics Forum

Ohio State hockey, baseball, wrestling, track, and other athletics discussion.

OSU Track & Field - How much worse can things get???

BuckNutInAnnArbor's picture
June 6, 2014 at 11:32am
14 Comments

Just saw this on letsrun.

Coach Bethea is leaving to take an assistant position At Indiana BECAUSE IT PAYS MORE(!?!?!) he's also taking Coach Allen with him (distance coach).  It was only a couple years ago they let go of Robert Gary (because he had shown interest in the Furman gig) and OSU had a difficult time gaining interest from any of the big names due to the salary offered.  Don't forget that Khadevis Robinson took off for LSU for a pay raise as well.  

Why isn't the OSU brass taking care of CC/T&F? We're practically kick ass in every other Olympic/low-revenue sport!

http://dailyrelay.com/why-is-head-coach-ed-bethea-leaving-ohio-state/

Squirrel Master's picture

because Gene Smith doesn't get a bonus if they win.

I saw a UFO once.......it told me to have a goodyear!

+24 HS
HotSauceCommittee's picture

Simple solution, hire Coack Marioti. He can honeymoon as T&F Coach in between making beasts in the football weightroom.

+1 HS
703Buckeye's picture

For as much money as the athletic program makes, it's a shame that assistant coaches at other B1G schools get paid more than the OSU HC. Open up the checkbook Gene, this is embarrassing.

"Attack the Strong, Trample the Weak, Hurdle the Dead!"
-Former OSU S&C Coach Lichter

+3 HS
Seattle Linga's picture

Good point 703 - it's too bad we have anyone leaving for lower ranked colleges.

+1 HS
gumtape's picture

Run faster!

I always felt bad for track guys. I thought that running was something you did to stay in shape for other sports.

just another psycho, irrational, delusional Ohio St fan

+1 HS
teddyballgame's picture

So this is why we couldn't get Tony Brown

halfmile78's picture

Go to the State track meet and watch all the talent that is going elsewhere. Its embarrassing. Something needs to change.

Halfmile78

+1 HS
denner's picture

Bethea has not done a good job anyway, so that's not really a loss IMO.  But Gene does need to hire a top notch coach this time.  Too much Ohio talent going elsewhere.

Mortc15's picture

I have a friend that runs for the women's team and she posted an article that said that Dennis will now be "Director" of the men's and women's CC/TF teams.. 

Maybe this is to combine it all and pay slightly more so they don't have to pay another coach. 

Buck-I4Life

KBonay's picture

Update: all the speedsters are playing with Urban. 

osu07asu10's picture

It was only a couple years ago they let go of Robert Gary (because he had shown interest in the Furman gig)

That's not true.

Gary was a good coach, but he was dismissed for a number of reasons. A lot of controversy seems to follow his wife, who was trying to get back into coaching. It has been speculated that Gary accepted the Furman gig on the condition that his wife be given an assistant position. This can't be proven but Gary is currently the Furman Head Coach and his wife is an assistant. 

Financial improprieties also followed Gary's departure at tOSU regarding personal expenditures and withholding proceeds from meet fees. All in all it ended up being $6,200 that Gary returned the university and left for Furman.

College track and field is a different beast, it doesn't follow the normal pattern of college sports like say football and basketball. Indoor/Outdoor, sponsors, individual athletes have trainers, often partake in training programs outside of the school. Not saying tOSU shouldn't strive to be the best, it's just a different beast.

"They don't know what they don't know." - Coach Mick

Outerbanks's picture

Contrary to what anyone says,  track & field at OSU is given low level status. Go back thirty years or more and you can follow the super Ohio track athletics out of state. Much like in football, OSU could be a BIG Conference Champion or runner up with  home grown talent alone.

I hate to watch the BIG championship and see schools like Minnesota, Wisconsin, PSU and some others put three , four of five athletes in the same event. OSU might have one entry and that entry really isn't even a D1 talent.

Watching the  Ohio High School Championships you might have 4-5 boys high jumpers jump 6'8" or more. I didn't see a single 6'6' jumper this season , not counting Devin Smith. I could go on almost forever on this topic.