Ohio State Athletics Forum

Ohio State Athletics Forum

Ohio State hockey, baseball, wrestling, track, and other athletics discussion.

Gene Smith should open a consulting firm negotating contracts for high level executives

OSU_ALUM_05's picture
March 27, 2014 at 1:42am
14 Comments

Pursuant to his contract, Gene Smith gets an $18k bonus in exchange for Logan Stieber winning another national championship in wrestling.  Interestingly, the OSU wrestling team only gets 9.9 scholarships for 39 members of the wrestling team.  In other words, it's not going to shock me if those scholarships are getting divided up among the team so that Logan doesn't even get a full ride to school.  Maybe Gene could at least buy him a pizza ..... no, wait ....that'd be an NCAA violation.   Good for you Gene - a kid in an individual sport wins 3 national titles, you get bonus money for his efforts, and the rulebook prohibits you from helping him out.  Slow clap for you, sir, slow clap indeed.

Gene:  please donate that money to a worthwhile charity.

http://sports.yahoo.com/news/college-wrestler-wins-title--athletic-director-gets--18-000-bonus-210331816.html

http://www.cleveland.com/osu/index.ssf/2014/03/ohio_state_ad_gene_smiths...

Bourbon Meyer's picture

Gene Smith is getting paid for doing his job. If we're going to start telling Gene what to do with his money then we need to start telling

Urban what to do with his.  Has Urban donated an of $5,000,000 a year to the little sisters of the poor?

+2 HS
d5k's picture

I think you missed the point.  It is the inequity where an AD or coach makes so much money that to give him a bonus of probably 1% of his salary ends up being the equivalent of 20% of the scholarship money for the entire wrestling team.  Meanwhile tuition keeps rising.  Not for profit my ass.

+1 HS
hodge's picture

Ohio State's athletic department is a private company -- wholly independent from The Ohio State University.  This is the exact reason why the FOIA requests, and subsequent lawsuit, filed by ESPN were ignored and upheld in a court of law.  Any money that Smith makes has no bearing on tuition costs.  But, when he's rewarded for the performance of the teams in his department, he increases the prominence of the "Ohio State" brand, which thereby helps to spur donations, and further investment in both the University and its athletics department.

+1 HS
d5k's picture

I was unaware of this ownership structure.  This seems even more shady than I thought it was.  

Any money that Smith makes has no bearing on tuition costs.  But, when he's rewarded for the performance of the teams in his department, he increases the prominence of the "Ohio State" brand, which thereby helps to spur donations, and further investment in both the University and its athletics department.

Left pocket, right pocket.  He does things to make the university money so he gets paid more.  The fact that he achieves a positive ROI in a system where a player's achievements are not rewarded with variable positive returns doesn't mean he is "earning" his pay.  It is just cronyism.

ETA: My tuition comment referred to the fact that additional revenue to the university from outside sources always goes to growing the university's reach and investing in facilities, which feeds the endless loop where university higher-ups make more money, but it does improve the "brand".  There is no leverage or incentive to keep things sustainable and keep tuition costs to a minimum, which would allow the bubble to never burst.  Reminds me of Mark Cuban's comment about the NFL:  'pigs get fat, hogs get slaughtered'.

+1 HS
FROMTHE18's picture

really have no idea why Gene Smith gets rewarded for a Wrestler's title

+1 HS
simpson203's picture

Gene Smith, as the AD, is rewarded for the success of tOSU's athletic department.  It's no different than a CEO getting a bonus based on the success of the company he/she runs.

+3 HS
d5k's picture

Yes, and often the CEO also gets paid more than the value add he achieved due to similar cronyism and favorable ownership structures.  The more power you have, the more money you can vote to pay yourself.

+2 HS
Hovenaut's picture

Gene Smith...the Kirk Ferentz of B1G AD's.

I am not the Last Dragon, therefore I do not possess the power of the Glow.

AndyVance's picture

Ouch Hove - I'm not sure that's a fair analogy... For all his shortcomings, Gene is still by all accounts one of the best ADs in the country... Whereas Kirk is a paper tiger getting paid for success he notched 20 years ago.

+1 HS
hodge's picture

Nary a truer thought e'er been spoke.

+1 HS
Hovenaut's picture

Sorry gents, meant no disrespect here - went without the sarcasm font...went with the dots instead.

For the record, I think Mean Gene has done a fine job under some tough circumstances over the years.

He's not perfect, but I wouldn't say I miss Andy Geiger either.

I am not the Last Dragon, therefore I do not possess the power of the Glow.

+1 HS
teddyballgame's picture

Wow, that's pretty unsavory now isn't it?

On the bright side, because OPs can't be downvoted anymore I think we're starting to hear what people really think.  Refreshing!

OSU_ALUM_05's picture

I don't mind showing up to collect my down votes.

However, I don't hate Gene Smith.  The AD job at tOSU is probably much more impossibly difficult than any of us realize.  My point is this:  based upon the numbers in those articles it appears that tOSU does not have enough scholarships to go around for the wrestling program, i.e., they're not all going to school for free.  If the decision makers at tOSU believe Smith is doing so well at his job that he deserves a raise (or bonus) and that the market for high profile AD's is such that his pay scale is within the range of normal, then fine - no complaints here.  I just think it's a little unsavory that you're directly tying your bonus to the success of a kid who very well may not even be getting a 100% athletic scholarship.  I know....they could do all this behind closed doors and no one would ever be the wiser.  That's true - and in that case ignorance would be bliss for me I suppose.  I'm not calling for Smith's head - just didn't sit well with me.  Perhaps it's just the presentation that bothers me. 

Furious George 27's picture

His bonuses are tied directly to the success of the programs he runs, it just so happens that some sports are driven by the individual like wrestling. The rest of what you mentioned is a NCAA issue not a Gene Smith issue. I don't fault a man who gets bonuses based on a contract that someone gave him. So really your issue should be with the NCAA and whoever gave him this deal. He didn't hire or give himself the extension, someone else did.

Yeah, well…that’s just like, your opinion, man.