College Sports Forum

College Sports Forum

College sports discussion.

NCAA Releases New Autonomy Structure for the 5 Major Conferences

BuckeyeRick's picture
July 18, 2014 at 1:11pm
12 Comments

The death of the NCAA is near.

The NCAA released a proposed governance model for the 5 Major Conferences. It allows the 5 conferences to create their own rules and make decisions collectively, provided they are voted on and accepted by the group.

Here's how the voting is proposed:

How autonomy will work

WHAT’S NEXT: The Division I Board of Directors will vote on the model Aug. 7. The five major conferences could vote on rule changes within that group as early as January 2015.

http://www.ncaa.org/about/resources/media-center/news/division-i-moves-closer-new-structure

InTressITrust's picture

If this passes I could see the BIG expanding to 16 teams for more voting power soon.

"I'm not going to lie. We're anxious to be a part of a matchup like that. It's two states that love the game of football." -Jim Tressel

+1 HS
DannyBeane's picture

Manifest Destiny to the pacific!

MackRM408's picture

Consider me intrigued

UrbzRenewal's picture

The other one was an article, not a forum post. I know many users go straight to the forums.

http://www.elevenwarriors.com/college-sports/2014/07/37620/gene-smith-confident-in-power-fives-bid-for-autonomy

Buckeye Knight's picture

I used to believe in the NCAA and it's stated mission, but after the past 10 or so years, I hope it dies a quick yet painful death.

Hoody Wayes's picture

This portends the dissolution of the Big 12.

Riggins's picture

Glad the students have a seat at the table. That along with full cost of attendance stipends will go a long way to alleviating some issues.

jeremytwoface's picture

Very interesting...

The first man gets the Oyster, the second man gets the shell.

Groveport Heisman's picture

If this passes I could also see the sec trying to  expand to 20 teams while taking teams away from the ACC in the process.

Mark my words..I don't need acceptance. I'm catching interceptions on you innocent pedestrians.

+1 HS
ShowThemOhiosHere's picture

So basically the universities are the House of Representatives (votes based on conference size) and the students are the Senate (3 votes from each conference).  Interesting how they do this with the votes, though.  I like it.

Class of 2010.

Riggins's picture

Well, sort of. But they can't be confused to be two separate chambers of Congress. A resolution won't have to be voted on and passed by both the schools and the students. The schools could pass it unilaterally without the support of the 15 student votes if they had enough consensus.

+2 HS