College Sports Forum

College Sports Forum

College sports discussion.

Phil Steele's College Football Preview Magazine

GlueFingers Lavelli's picture
July 3, 2014 at 9:40pm
7 Comments

I'm wondering if anyone else is having trouble finding this publication anywhere. I live In NE Indiana and have tried numerous places and no one seems to have it. I've tried Target, CVS, Walgreens, Kroger, Walmart to name a few. Have not tried a Barnes and Noble yet. Just curious if anyone else was having trouble finding it in stores? Sort of frustrating after buying in on or near release for close to 10 years.

Dirty419Boy's picture

I don't think it's out yet? It's usually one of the later ones.

+1 HS
Dirty419Boy's picture

Never mind.  According to his site: "Phil Steele's 2014 CFB Preview Is Available Today At Barnes & Noble, Books-A-Million, CVS, Publix, Target and Walgreens"

which as you've said you've already tried.

+1 HS
MeyerMattaScarletHeroes's picture

I had a heck of a time finding it too. The release date was June 24th.

The usual stores who keep it in stock simply didn't stock it this year.

The past 6 years in a row I've purchased it from either my local Walmart, Target, a local grocery store, or a local bookstore. None of them had it this year. I had to drive a half hour away to a Barnes & Noble to buy it last Friday. 

I think the reason a lot of these stores aren't stocking it is because of the price. I think it was like $9 last year, well...it done went up again. I'm thinking a lot of these stores don't think they'll be able to move the product. Even though it's the best football preview mag out there... I don't know if it's worth $12.99! With tax, I spent close to $14 !!! That's outrageous.

But, like everything else, the price is rising. And a lot of it has to do with gas prices. Groceries, etc. are higher. The trucks adjust the prices of transport because of rising fuel costs. The stores and manufacturers just pass that price along to the consumer. The media of course doesn't report this. With the natural resources available in this country, we shouldn't pay more than $1 for gas. But, thanks to some politicians...we're getting hosed...literally. 

+4 HS
kgratz's picture

Unless you're looking for a true magazine I highly recommend the iTunes version. it's cheaper and you can download it on multiple devices (iphone, iPad, etc) and it has everything the magazine does but with a search feature. 

How Firm Thy Friendship

+2 HS
buckeyebowhunter's picture

I spent 18.99 and ordered off his site.  Painful, but necessary.  Couldn't find it on a newstand anywhere.

+2 HS
GlueFingers Lavelli's picture

Damn, sounds like the dreaded drive to Barnes & Noble it is. Sucks it's hard to get a hold of it. I have a hard time believing more places don't carry it due to it's popularity. Last year I think I got it at Walmart or CVS, sounds like Phil needs to just lower his price a bit, it's not like Lindy's or Athlon come close to his product. Hell all you have to do is thumb through for a quick comparison to know the Steele magazine is loaded with about 5 times as much content.

Thanks for the responses, just wanted to make sure I wasn't losing my mind, or my town wasn't a part of some sort of M. Night Shyamalan experiment.

Dustin Fox was our leading tackler as a corner.... because his guy always caught the ball.

+2 HS
Groveport_Buckeye's picture

The only place I was able to find it was Barnes and Noble.

+1 HS