College Sports Forum

College Sports Forum

College sports discussion.

Optimistic Buckeye Pessimist's picture

He's an incredible talent. Hope he can right the ship. 

Read my entire screen name....

+1 HS
OSU069's picture

Great pickup for them if he can stay out of trouble.

+1 HS
Groveport Heisman's picture

Isnt he eligible for the draft after sitting out this season?

Mark my words..I don't need acceptance. I'm catching interceptions on you innocent pedestrians.

OSU069's picture

I heard on ESPN that he was trying to get cleared for this year.

+1 HS

He  will try. Every kid attempts it. It wont be passed by the NCAA though. Hell Ty Isaac and Mike Mitchell were both denied and both have a sick mother or father. Why would they reward DGB for getting in trouble and being kicked off his team? Now that I think of it the NCAA is so ass backwards they might just allow it.

Mark my words..I don't need acceptance. I'm catching interceptions on you innocent pedestrians.

+2 HS
kholmes's picture

There hasn't been any ruling yet on Isaac. I have to assume it will get denied as Mitchell's did but you never know. Given that they have to send all sorts of medical info and reports and none of that is disclosed, its hard to judge the relative merits of the cases.

+1 HS

From what I have read its almost a forgone conclusion because he decided to attend *ichigan which is way outside the radius allowed. Think Mitchell was denied for the same reason. Not exactly sure but I think its like a 200 mile radius from where the sick family member is.

kholmes's picture

Yeah..that seems to be the consensus. The only argument for is that the main effect of his mom's medical condition is that she can no longer fly and so couldnt see his games anymore if he stayed at USC. At UM, she can drive (as its about a 4 hour drive even though its out of the radius ) so she would be able to go to all the games. So even though he is out of the radius it does seem to solve the main issue that his parents were no longer able to see his games. Not sure if any of that will matter given it is out of the radius as you pointed out.

+2 HS
sharks's picture

He's legit, and I too thought he'd sit this year then declare.  He's got that NFL body/build and he'd prob be a 2nd-3rd rounder in 2015.  Good for him though, hope he cleans up his act.

The postgame show is brought to you by... Christ, I can't find it. The hell with it...

+1 HS

He has Calvin Johnson measurables. I think he sits this year and enters the draft next year without ever taking a live snap at Oklahoma. Also think a team might take a gamble on him mid to late first round. Second round would be an absolute steal for somebody.

dustinccc's picture

Surprised Bob sold his soul...usually this is something you see in the $EC.  Kind of ironic it was a $EC school that released him.  Great talent but hitting women is a no go in my (and Urban's) book.  

+4 HS
PasadenaBuckeye626's picture

Guys like DGB create a culture.  The dude is toxic

Go Bucks!

-1 HS
brandonbauer87's picture

Pretty harsh crowd. The man deserves a second chance and I think Bob Stoops is a good guy to reform under. Would it be better for him to sit around smoking weed for a year than to spend it in college?

+4 HS
GlueFingers Lavelli's picture

Oklahoma takes chances on guys, and to their credit it usually works out. I know that Jalen Saunders kid they got from Fresno State turned out to be quite the player last year. Hopefully of DGB he can keep his head on right and do good things there. What he did was bad, but imagine if we threw every kid under the bus that made a mistake like this. Think of how many people get a second chance and they run with it. Not saying this will be the case, but I would like to see it happen.

Dustin Fox was our leading tackler as a corner.... because his guy always caught the ball.

+3 HS
MeyerMattaScarletHeroes's picture

I don't think people are being harsh, and I don't think it should be up to him (the criminal), Bob Stoops, OU, Mizzou, or even the NCAA --- as to when he plays football again. It should be up to a reputable judge and legal system. Again, he is a MULTIPLE-time criminal. Multiple, multiple chances have been given to him. He's lucky he's not in jail, and he'd lucky to even just be "sitting around" for a year. This dude has been busted for drugs a few times, and there was an alleged robbery...and also he allegedly forced open an apartment door and pushed an 18-year-old woman down several stairs. This is just the stuff we know about, I'm sure there's more.

I'm kind of sick of the crowd saying you can't call out a young adult. And, I'm not calling you out, Brandon. I just mean in general. And there are a few people on this site, that any time someone criticizes a person under 21, they go off and say: "But, he's just a kid!", "Didn't you ever make a mistake when you were young?", etc.

No, I never did drugs or was stupid enough to get caught with them. Nope, I never robbed anybody. And, nope, I sure as hell never pushed a female down several stairs. "Kids" are technically 17 and under. Once you're 18, you're a legal adult. To DGB: Grow up. Quit making excuses. Quit being a thug. Quit throwing away elite, God-given talent. To the bleeding heart excuse-makers out there: if it were your daughter pushed down a flight of stairs...wouldn't you want the criminal who did that to be held to the maximum penalty by law? Or, because he's a great football player, he should just be excused and we forget about the incident?

+4 HS

I'm sorry, I feel ignorant for my post. I did not realize he has had multiple offenses. I heard about the girl incident, was not aware of the other stuff. I remember ESPN saying how he was raised by another family and he was a good kid from a troubled past. Not sure how I missed the other stuff.

Dustin Fox was our leading tackler as a corner.... because his guy always caught the ball.

+2 HS
MeyerMattaScarletHeroes's picture

yeah, no problem bud....I realize everyone makes mistakes. I made mistakes when I was that age, too...but they weren't to that extent.

I know everyone should get a second, or even third chance. But, this guy's had like 7th and 8th chances. And, again, this is just the stuff we know about...I'm sure there's more where that came from. At some point, a guy needs to learn a lesson, instead of pissing away everything. It just seems like there's no personal accountability in this world anymore.

I agree with you there. Too many people take advantage of their talents and abuse the trust of others. I'm all for second even third chances in many instances, but if you can't figure it out after that an example should be made.

+1 HS
dustinccc's picture

Sure he deserves a second chance...but  he needs to learn from the consequences, not have someone come bail him out.  It is pretty obvious that Oklahoma is not worried about him learning a lesson and they are way more worried about winning, based on the fact they are trying to get him a waiver to play in '14.  This guy hit women (accused), I have very little sympathy for him.  Maybe having a daughter makes me biased or I was just raised differently. 

+2 HS
Dirty419Boy's picture

Stoops is a desperate pathetic whore.

-1 HS
Hovenaut's picture

Forgoing character issue discussions...

It would very interesting if DGB is given the ok to play, although I don't see it (Mike Mitchell would be pissed), especially come playoff time.

"Success...it's what you do with what you got" - Woody Hayes

+2 HS
bcgrinner's picture

It's a crazy world we live in where a troubled players current coach is vilified if he keeps him, but if the player is kicked off the team then his next coach is praised for giving him a second chance.

+7 HS
KingsRite's picture

There is a chance we could see Okie up close and personal in the playoff.

“I have yet to be in a game where luck was involved. Well-prepared players make plays. I have yet to be in a game where the most prepared team didn't win.” -Urban Meyer-

+1 HS
KBonay's picture

I thought this was interesting, seeing this should be the case in all programs. And doesn't the NCAA do their own testing?

Green-Beckham's admission to Oklahoma came with specific stipulations including continued rehabilitation and drug testing, according to a source. Green-Beckham will be subject to a "zero tolerance" policy which includes any failed drug test. 

+2 HS
Seattle Linga's picture

Good for the kid - hope it works out for him 

+1 HS