College Sports Forum

College Sports Forum

College sports discussion.

Sports Fanatics

The Urban Legend's picture
June 18, 2014 at 6:53pm
25 Comments

Many fans, myself included, commonly refer to their favorite sports teams as "we". It's something I try to avoid but just naturally comes out. We as sports fans invest a lot of time and money into following the program but do we really deserve to refer to the team as we even though we never stepped foot onto the practice field or into a meeting? 

lsjSnail's picture

That is a huge pet peeve for me. Saying "we" when referring to a team in which you do nothing but cheer for is kinda dumb. 

-1 HS
The Urban Legend's picture

I agree. As much time as I spend following the team and reading various websites (none better than 11W of course) I don't feel right when I realize I'm talking like I was out there sweating and grinding it out with the players. 

The Legend continues

+2 HS
BuckNutzGasMan's picture

WE

I 100% sweat as much as the players during games.

+13 HS
Buckeyevstheworld's picture

You should see a doctor about that.

"YOLO" = I'm about to do something extremely ignorant/stupid & I need an excuse to do it.

+8 HS
BassDropper's picture

I admit, I often refer to all the teams I cheer for as "we," but not always. It only happens during a game or during conversation, its just quicker to say "we" than "Buckeyes" or "Cavaliers." I'm also a current student, so maybe students and alumni get a pass.

DIRECTIONER

+2 HS
brandonbauer87's picture

I think the context is the deciding factor. 

"We need to quit giving the ball to Hyde and let Braxton sling it" rubs me wrong. 

"Let's go Bucks, we need to get a score on this drive" is more acceptable to me. 

+4 HS
blocko330's picture

My thoughts as well Brandon - first context makes it sound like you're part of the coaching staff.

“Things may come to those who wait, but only the things left by those who hustle.”

- TruthTeller

+1 HS
HouseHarleyBuilt's picture

"We" is also acceptable if you are attending the game live because it is OUR responsibility to be as disruptive and loud as possible to the opposing team, and as energetic and hopeful as possible to show the players we adore the support they need to engineer a comeback if necessary.

+2 HS
johnblairgobucks's picture

I don't really give a shit if someone refers to their favorite team as "we".  Pretty minor thing that I don't need to get worked up about.

+16 HS
Crumb's picture

People often ask me 'how'd your Buckeyes do?' or 'how'd you guys do on Saturday'. I proudly say we. I was born and raised in OHIO. My tax dollars help fund this public state run university. I pay roughly 100 bucks a game to go and cheer them on. I think that makes me able to say 'We'. Without us fans, the team would not exist. The relationship between fans and team or program is symbiotic, so yeah, we fans, players, Ohioans, students, alumni, heck people whose favorite color is scarlet, we are the 'we'. The people who stay when the team is up or down by 4 TDs in freezing cold weather, we are the we. I've got no problem with saying 'we', in fact I love it! Calling ourselves Buckeyes and saying 'we' unites across lines that normally divide. Too many things divide, not enough unite, all you need to be part of this great group is love of the Buckeyes.

"The only good thing about it is winning the d*** thing" - Urban Meyer on The Game The War

+10 HS
sivaDavis's picture

We're Buckeye Nation. Us/we whatever. I don't mind if fans say it. I say it randomly without thinking. I think we have that right. For example my buddy is an ND fan and sometimes asks me "Who do you guys play next week?" Of course I would respond with something like.. "I believe we play Cal." When someone asks me, "what time does Ohio State play?" I would respond with either "Noon" or "I believe they play at noon." I guess it differs for me. Based on how the conversation is going or how a question is asked to me. I know I don't play for the team but that's the team I cheer for and the team I love. Therefore sometimes I'll say us or we, sometimes I'll say they.

"I've had smarter people around me all my life, but I haven't run into one yet that can outwork me. And if they can't outwork you, then smarts aren't going to do them much good." - Woody Hayes

+4 HS
Groveport Heisman's picture

I would bet the people who have a problem with the fans that use the term "we" are also  the same people sitting in their seats during the game and  bothered by the younger louder fans in front of them jumping up and down. Its either a generation gap or some extreme wealth/class gap that makes folks look down  such a long nose at folks.

Mark my words..I don't need acceptance. I'm catching interceptions on you innocent pedestrians.

+2 HS
Scarlet_Lutefisk's picture

That is terrible logic. You are prejudiced against a specific group so you automatically associate that group with a behavior with which you disagree?

It's tantamount to seeing a news story about a robbery and thinking "I bet it was (insert disliked minority here)".

-2 HS
bedheadjc's picture

Please Lute, leave the logical fallacies discussions to Fido. It's the only thing he lives for.

Scarlet_Lutefisk's picture

Perhaps, but there are times when the more ridiculous claims need to be pointed out as such.

cajunbuckeye's picture

I'll throw out a "we" on certain occasions. I tried "I", but it didn't go over very well.

An angry fan...rooting for an angry team...led by angry coaches

+6 HS
Seattle Linga's picture

I hope this comes through - one of the best I have seen in a long time

+6 HS
KBonay's picture

I have zero problem with WE.  I graduated from OSU.  I donated to OSU.  I have sacrificed for OSU. Football is just a part of this great University.  And WE belong to all of it.  So yes, WE need to make the  4 team playoff this year and WE need to curb-stomp an SEC team in the NC game.

+4 HS
Seattle Linga's picture

Are you a motivational speaker? 

+2 HS
AndyVance's picture
Yes...

If you haven't watched the sketch in a while, please do so now.

+4 HS
Hovenaut's picture

I try not do use it, I didn't have the good fortune of attending The Ohio State University.

But I am a Buckeye.

"Success...it's what you do with what you got" - Woody Hayes

+3 HS
Earle's picture

Boy, I can't wait until we start playing some football games.

Italics are for emphasis.

+3 HS
cajunbuckeye's picture

Eleven Warriors exclusive! Earle, "back in the day" highlight video....

An angry fan...rooting for an angry team...led by angry coaches