College Sports Forum

College Sports Forum

College sports discussion.

NCAA Has Got to Go - Homeless player not allowed to receive any help prior to coming to school

Buckeye in Illini country's picture
May 14, 2014 at 1:39pm
20 Comments
BassDropper's picture

DIRECTIONER

+7 HS

Can't believe the NCAA actually acted quickly on something.

Columbus to Pasadena: 35 hours.  We're on a road trip through the desert looking for strippers and cocaine... and Rose Bowl wins!

+1 HS
Phoenix824's picture

what is shocking is that they got it right when they acted quickly.    Too many times it seems like their first reaction is the wrong one.

+2 HS
Groveport Heisman's picture

Glad to see them actually get something "right".

Mark my words..I don't need acceptance. I'm catching interceptions on you innocent pedestrians.

Knarcisi's picture

Shame they even had to request it. 

hit_the_couch's picture

I'm sure Boise would like to help, but they just got hit with FTM or LOIC a couple years ago (mainly for stupid things that shouldn't be violations). Helping this kid would likely make them a repeat offender.

And then I told her...i'm no weatherman, but tonight's forecast is calling for several inches!

+1 HS
BROSEPH's picture

I don't really see the fault of the NCAA protocol here.  They have rules in place, those rules are definite unless circumstances allow the rules to be bent a bit after being reviewed.  If rules are not definite, then all hell could break loose and boosters could provide benefits as they wish and NCAA would lose all control.  

1.  School - "We wish to give a player housing and other assistance while not in school"

2.  NCAA - "Woah, that sounds like a you're giving impermissible benefits to an athlete, we will not allow it"

3.  School - "Here's the kid's special circumstance . . ."

4.  NCAA - "Upon review, we will allow it."

Exactly how the process should go, and it is exactly how it went.

Had the NCAA still denied the request, then yeah, I'd have a problem with it.

+12 HS

Yea but then we cant sit here and blast on the NCAA for how shitty they usually handle things, and what fun would that be?

Mark my words..I don't need acceptance. I'm catching interceptions on you innocent pedestrians.

+1 HS

I agree.  At the time of my posting, I did not know that the NCAA had already acted.  I still think the NCAA is relative garbage though.

Columbus to Pasadena: 35 hours.  We're on a road trip through the desert looking for strippers and cocaine... and Rose Bowl wins!

-4 HS
Phoenix824's picture

Agree with you totally because they got it right I do not see a problem.    However my problem with the NCAA is too many times though it looks like this

4.  NCAA - Upon review, we will NOT allow it.

Hovenaut's picture

I may not live to see it, but I can imagine a day the NCAA itself may also be homeless.

"Success...it's what you do with what you got" - Woody Hayes

+3 HS

Oh you can squeeze another 10-15 years out and enjoy it with the rest of us. Going to be a monumental undoing. Power 5 here we come.

Hovenaut's picture

+6 HS
irishfury's picture

Ghostface KIlla!!!! One of the greatest movies of all time

kholmes's picture

Let's remember that the NCAA is basically just enforcing the decisions of the college presidents and the AD's...the fingers should point to the colleges as they are the ones that make the decisions. When you hear AD's complaining about the NCAA, they really should be pointing the criticism at other schools. That is why this split of the power conferences is important. OSU, Texas, and FSU should not be restricted from doing things that make sense because Eastern Michigan and Troy St dont have enough money to do the same and are able to vote it down because of numbers.

+6 HS
Hovenaut's picture

Countering the downer.

Whatever the NCAA's future may hold, I don't think Mark Emmert will be involved.

Rocket Man's picture

Never really thought about it like that -- but in that light it almost makes the NCAA seem like a giant Homeowner's Association -- which always seems to start out as a group of neighbors getting together to make up some well-intentioned rules, but ends up some rigid organization that auctions off some poor widow's house for unpaid fines from having the wrong color curtains then defends themselves by saying, "Well, it was in the rules!"

But at least they seem to have gotten this case correct.

Never put off 'til tomorrow what you can put off indefinitely.

+3 HS
BuckNKY's picture

Upvote just because you seem to be speaking from experience.  And if not - count yourself lucky!!!

+1 HS
kholmes's picture

Yep..think about it - its in the interest of the "poor" schools to not allow the "rich" schools to pay full cost of attendance, pay a stipend, provide unlimited meals. If they can restrict it, the "poor" schools can keep everything on a level playing field and when the public gets mad they only get mad at OSU/Michigan type and they dont get mad at Eastern Michigan/Toledo.

+1 HS
Seattle Linga's picture

Finally some very good news - every now and then we need an unexpected gift