College Sports Forum

College Sports Forum

College sports discussion.

The 'real' 2013 SOS rankings...

Scarlet_Lutefisk's picture
May 4, 2014 at 4:05am
15 Comments

Apparently the NCAA doesn't include FCS & FBS transitional (ie: just moved from FCS) teams in their SOS rankings.

Final 2013 NCAA Strength of Schedule Rankings Don’t Add Up

Strength of schedule has been a big topic in college football since the playoff was announced. But it really heated up on Sunday when the SEC announced their revised scheduling format.

To aid in the discussion, fans, writers and even the schools have been referencing the final strength of schedule rankings of their team for the 2013 season.

The source of that information comes from the NCAA’s own website, and the Top 35 was tweeted in a graphic Sunday night by the SEC Communications Director.

But a closer look at those numbers has revealed that they don’t add up. Tennessee is listed as number one by the NCAA with their past opposition having a record of 79-42. But the actual number is 94-59, which places them 13th.

Auburn, ranked 2nd, is listed as having opposition with a 94-50 record, but it’s really 109-71, placing them 16th.

So what is the discrepancy? It’s not clear to me. Tennessee is missing 15 wins and 17 losses from their totals. If the NCAA method is omitting FCS games, then 12 losses are accounted for because Austin Peay went 0-12.

Rocket Man's picture

Oversigning, year-round prep football, "recruiting hostesses," under-the-counter payments to family members, to name a few.  And now we find out the $EC even knows how to game the SOS system . . . If you ain't cheatin', you ain't tryin'

Illegitimi non carborundum

+4 HS
buckeyedexter's picture

I thought italics were only used for sarcasm, you seem to just be stating the facts.

+3 HS
Rocket Man's picture

Just a tiny bit sarcastic -- I meant to leave the italics off the last sentence but it was my first use of sarcasm font and I screwed up.

+1 HS
hit_the_couch's picture

I think every major school has recruiting hostesses. I found one from Ohio State, and she was so proud that she even listed it on her linkedin resume. She graduated with a journalism degree and apparently couldn't find a job now works as a hostess/ recruiter to bring top notch Drs to Ohio Health. 

And then I told her...i'm no weatherman, but tonight's forecast is calling for several inches!

+1 HS
dubjayfootball90's picture

Very interesting to see...

Whoa Nellie's picture

You can see the NCAA rankings here:  http://stats.ncaa.org/rankings?sport_code=MFB&division=11

There's a link in the upper right corner of the NCAA page for "Contact Us".  Maybe they should hear from a few thousand fans about how bogus their rankings are.  I did and included a link to the article SL cited in his OP.

“Don’t fear criticism. The stands are full of critics. They play no ball. They fight no fights. They make no mistakes because they attempt nothing. Down on the field are the doers, they make mistakes because they attempt many things.”

jamesrbrown322's picture

Still, only 2 B1G in top 25, neither of which were bowl teams, is pretty disappointing.

"I can accept failure, but I cannot accept not trying." - W.W. Hayes

brandonbauer87's picture

So Ohio State's opponents played 176 games while Florida's only played 152. Makes sense. 

+1 HS
osu_chris's picture

I think that's because OSU played 2 more games than Florida: the B1G Championship and the bowl game. Two extra opponents with 12 games played each is 24 extra games.

brandonbauer87's picture

Bowl games aren't included, neither are FCS games. It just shows how flawed the measurement is. 

BTwrestle04's picture

So, they are basically rewarding a school for playing a really crappy FCS team because their 10 (hypothetical number for a shitty FCS team that went 2-10) losses don't count towards their opponent W/L record.... This makes so much sense

BoFuquel's picture

You ain't gonna like this playoff. Just wait and see. Just win'em all, or no playoff for you Buckeyes. GO BUCKS!

I wish I didn't know now what I didn't know then.

Colerain 2004 G.O.A.T.'s picture

We can be 12-1 and conference champs and make the playoff easily. Go Check the last decade and see how many times that wouldn't have gotten us in.

I speak the truth but I guess that's a foreign language to yall.~~Lil Wayne

+1 HS
Rocket Man's picture

Roby, Dennard, Verrett -- at least 2 of the 3 will be there for the Bengals . . . will they bite?