College Sports Forum

College Sports Forum

College sports discussion.

Why isn't Jameis Winston's FSU provided attorney not considered an impermissible benefit?

johnblairgobucks's picture
April 17, 2014 at 9:34pm
40 Comments

JW's attorney's services weren't available to all FSU's students.  What are attorney rates $ 100/ hr?  Bet he's racked up quite a bill, if he is even getting a bill.  Posey lost 6 games for less than $100.

Oh, ok.

I guess an Internet football forum about college athletics is where I'll take my speculation next time.  Didn't mean to post in the JakeBuckeye Forum.

+20 HS
JakeBuckeye's picture

It isn't an impermissible benefit because the benefit isn't impermissible. Just like student-athletes being able to schedule their classes first is a benefit, but not an impermissible one. Pretty simple explanation. I was too lazy to look up if there was an actual rule regarding it, but someone else below has.

+2 HS
BHT's picture

I think he was joking and forgot the sarcasm font. Sounded like it to me.

JakeBuckeye's picture

Nope. Downvotes or not, I stand by my stance that launching completely unfounded speculation about how Jameis Winston is getting/affording legal representation is silly.

-6 HS

Standing by your stance in a thread you think is silly, is quite noble.

+1 HS
JakeBuckeye's picture

Hah.

Sorry if I offended/irked you or something, John. You stated your thoughts, I stated my thoughts. I for one, am not offended or irked that you disagree with me, because that's just the way the world works.

-1 HS

You stated your thoughts with your first post.  Coming back to reiterate, seems like an attempt to irk.  Hey, it is what it is.  If disagreements are part of the way the world works, I' m surprised you don't understand me questioning the Winston saga, and having a different view/question.  

If you need to tell me my topic is silly more than once, may I suggest you go find a topic you like .  Coming here for enjoyment, not the need to be the World's best and ever correct, is where I'm at.

-1 HS
JakeBuckeye's picture

You take things to seriously if what I said irked you, but regardless, I apologize.

BROSEPH's picture

I'm pretty sure students are, to an extent, protected by the university they attend in certain situations like this. Since FSU is in the middle of this case, they must act in some way.

Just odd that the accuser, who was a FSU student at the time wasn't provided school appointed and funded representation.  Also odd that Winston doesn't have to talk to University officials about the incident, because the school appointed attorney tells him not to talk to anyone.  Jimbo Fisher and the football staff got wind of the event from the TPD before the University probably did.  Winston was then appointed a School attorney and then doesn't have to discuss the event with anyone at the university?  Is the tail wagging the dog?

+6 HS
Furious George 27's picture

I don't think the accuser would get representation because she is the Plantiff and the State would be her representation after filing the charges.

Yeah, well…that’s just like, your opinion, man.

+3 HS
jamesrbrown322's picture

There would be no Plaintiff unless she sues for civil damages, which she could. In this case, the State is the prosecution, and Winston could have been the defendant. She is simply the accuser/alleged victim. So, you are right, she does not NEED an attorney unless she sues Winston. 

"I can accept failure, but I cannot accept not trying." - W.W. Hayes

The Rill Dill's picture

You aren't getting ANY decent attorney for a mere $100.00 per hour.  This isn't 1975.

+9 HS
OSU_ALUM_05's picture

Yep...if you're paying your lawyer $100/hr you're losing.

+3 HS
KBonay's picture

This should help.  Taken from our very own investigations:

NCAA spokeswoman Stacey Osburn said according to NCAA rule 16.3.2, the cost of legal representation is allowed to be provided by the university in any investigation into a student-athlete’s eligibility.

Source: http://thelantern.com/2011/10/osu-paid-poseys-lawyer-nearly-142k/

+4 HS

Thanks for the info.  

I still don't get it. Winston wasn't provided an attorney to aid in an investigation of eligibility.....he would only be found Ineligible, after he would have been possibly found guilty of sexual assault.  Winston was given representation in a matter of possible criminal conduct.  Maybe FSU has a broader definition of " investigation of eligibility".  

+4 HS
jamesrbrown322's picture

I imagine that they extrapolate that out to include any issue which might affect their eligibility.

youngbuck95's picture

Most universities offer legal services to all students at a low-cost fee. I'm a current student at tOSU and I think it's only something like $40 per semester for unlimited access (barring a case where the student is in a legal battle with the university).

+2 HS

Sounds like a great benefit for students.  I learned something new today.

+1 HS
Crimson's picture

Student Legal Services only covers trivial things that students face on a regular basis, such as landlord disputes.  Anything serious, like a rape investigation, possible charge, or charge, is excluded from our coverage.  Yet, I never decline the SLS fee.

+3 HS
southbay's picture

I hear you guys who are saying that all this stuff complies with the rules, but those rules are effed up.

+5 HS
southbay's picture

And just to be clear, I have not made up my mind as to whether Winston broke the law, but it does appear that he was coddled.  

Almost anyone else would have been thoroughly investigated even if no charges resulted, and would have had to find and pay for an attorney.  Not cool.

Squirrel Master's picture

Almost anyone else would have been thoroughly investigated even if no charges resulted

almost anyone, like two other football players who have been reprimanded by the University for taking part in the same event that Winston has no involvement with. Its like saying they are in trouble for being accomplices but no crime has been done.

I saw a UFO once.......it told me to have a goodyear!

+4 HS
BamBamBuck's picture

It is obvious that by screwing up the investigation (planned or not) the Tallahassee PD has not given the prosecutors enough evidence to convict these thugs. With everything I have read on this topic, and by observing Winstons legal maneuvers I have made up my mind in that Winston is a POS who broke, at least, the laws of human morality.

Screw the legal requirements, he and his little band of assholes prey on drunken girls to take advantage of, even to the point of rape, and have seemingly done it more than once. I only hope that Winston is the recepiant of targeted hits, every game, by every opposing player that come in contact with him. Ending his FSU, NCAA, and NFL careers would be karma, no?

I also hope that FSU is financially nailed to the cross as an example to all Universities that this shit will not be tolerated. EOR!

BamBamBuck

+1 HS
Colerain 2004 G.O.A.T.'s picture

Almost 99.9% of people would have been arrested and had DNA took as soon as identified. Complete and utterly sick coverup on FSU and the Tallahassee PD. They should be the ones that have to pay the piper. I honestly think either him or one of his friends dropped something in her drink. And for the shit turds that say nothing showed up in her system the prosecutor admitted some things would have already have left her system and a couple of other things were not even checked for. They weren't testing her to find out if she was roofied they were testing her to try to prove she was intoxicated. Even if he didn't do anything wrong knowingly it they sure did damn make it seem like he did by butchering the whole case.

I speak the truth but I guess that's a foreign language to yall.~~Lil Wayne

+2 HS
Seattle Linga's picture

It's the old saying ......"those with the most toys win"

I am sure someone paid for his services and I'd like to know who that person is

+3 HS
Whoa Nellie's picture

SL,

IIRC, the lawyer who stepped in and kept Winston from speaking to the police was retained counsel for the athletic department.  Probably part of his duties to protect athletes interacting with law enforcement.

Edit:  I was wrong.  Went back and researched Tim Jansen, who is called the "go-to" lawyer for FSU athletes in trouble.  He's in private practice, not paid by the university, not part of the boosters, and a UF alumni.  Says his fees are usually paid by the family. 

Sorry for posting bad info.

“Don’t fear criticism. The stands are full of critics. They play no ball. They fight no fights. They make no mistakes because they attempt nothing. Down on the field are the doers, they make mistakes because they attempt many things.”

+1 HS
Seattle Linga's picture

No worries ............ glad you edited that post and manned up

+1 HS
Johnny-Shane_Utah-Falco's picture

I believe he raped that girl.

-2 HS
Sebastian's picture

How do you vote on these forums?

+6 HS
jeremytwoface's picture

You have to get to 100 "Helmet stickers" before you can vote. Helmet stickers are the up-votes you receive... So just keep posting and you will get there eventually. Looks like you are already at 75 so you are almost there. I'll make it 76.

The first man gets the ((((Oyster)))), the second man gets the shell.

+1 HS
jeremytwoface's picture

I believe that every NCAA institution is allowed to provide representation to their "student athletes".

Now if one school was doing it and other schools weren't, that might be an issue. But since everyone is allowed, it's not impermissible.

I do agree that it's a little weird that the school can't provide representation to the victim (in this case) but can to the accused because he's a "student athlete".

The first man gets the ((((Oyster)))), the second man gets the shell.

ShowThemOhiosHere's picture

NCAA rules allow it, I guess.

Class of 2010.

Osurrt's picture

So does Jameis become the next version of the Scum kicker......after he uses his eligibility the federal statue kicks in and they bounce him from school?

Crimson's picture

One does not simply go to FSU to get a degree.

+1 HS
Osurrt's picture

We ain't here to play no school....oops wrong QB-lol

+1 HS
jamesrbrown322's picture

The saddest part of this story is that FSU and the local PD screwed it up for EVERYONE. The alleged victim deserved a more thorough investigation, especially if the accusations are true. Winston deserved to be completely exonerated if innocent. The fact that this is still drawing out so long after the event took place is ridiculous.

+3 HS
Colerain 2004 G.O.A.T.'s picture

The way the TPD and FSU handled it was even if he was guilty they were going to do everything in their power to make sure he played at all costs. The lawsuits stemming from this ordeal are going to be quite a thing to read about because a lot of truths will come out on the full disclosure dispositions. It could possibly get downright ugly if people start pointing fingers to shift blame. Thing I don't get is how you come out and chargeor discipline the other 2 guys for being accomplices without acknowledging Jameis did anything wrong and continuing to let him play. If enough federal heat was applied I could see FSU having to grit and bear it and cut ties with famous Jameis. It could go down in History as one of the most tarnished Heisman and titles ever.

I speak the truth but I guess that's a foreign language to yall.~~Lil Wayne