Anything Else Forum

Anything Else Forum

Offtopicland. Remember: no politics, religion, or hot-button social issues.

2023 Tailgate Fare HATE WEEK

+10 HS
BUCKEYE3M's picture
November 22, 2023 at 12:13pm
28 Comments

Good afternoon Dubbers! Well, I had this whole thing done and ready to publish, just needed to add one hyperlink, and Chrome decided to drop a white vail of death over my screen. So, give me credit for not smashing my computer, and here's take two. To my computer and those cheaters up north, I say:

There have been a million twists and turns in the scandal up north, most recently with Chris Partridge playing the part of United States Marine Oliver North, with the most noticeable difference being Ollie probably has some redeeming qualities. So, I won't bore you with a recap, we'll just get right to the eats.

The recipe I chose for this week was shared with me a couple of months ago by a friend and I was saving it for colder weather, because it is a hearty dish. And, given that it is actually named after the Buckeyes, this week seemed most fitting.

OSU Casserole

From the creator:

OSU Casserole also known as Johnny Marzetti started in the 1920s, when Teresa Marzetti was serving this dish to loyal customers at her Italian restaurant in Columbus, Ohio. The restaurant was located near Ohio state university and this dish was a huge hit with the students. By the 1920s the recipe’s popularity spread across the midwest.

My version has a few changes from the original and is made in your Instant Pot in a hurry. This dish has so much flavor thanks to the Italian sausage which flavors the entire dish so nicely. It’s also got lots of vegetables (onions, mushrooms, garlic, peppers and spinach!) so you can use it as a one pot meal. The leftovers freeze nicely for a dinner another day.

INGREDIENTS/SUBSTITUTION IDEAS (from the creator)

• Italian sausage–mild or hot
  • Onion–yellow or white
  • Mushrooms
  • Garlic cloves
  • Chicken broth–or beef broth
  • Mini penne–or regular penne
  • Italian seasoning
  • Marinara sauce
  • Sugar
  • Red or green bell pepper
  • Spinach–fresh or frozen
  • Mozzarella cheese

DIRECTIONS

1. Turn Instant Pot to saute setting. When display says HOT add in the sausage and break it up. Add in the onions. Brown for about 4 minutes. Add in the mushrooms and cook for 2 more minutes. Add in garlic and cook for 30 seconds. 
  2. Pour in the broth and scrape bottom of pot so that nothing is sticking. Turn off Instant Pot. 
  3. Sprinkle in the penne evenly.
  4. Add in the Italian seasoning, marinara sauce, sugar and peppers. Don’t stir.
  5. Cover Instant Pot and secure the lid. Make sure valve is set to sealing. Set the manual/pressure cook button to 2 minutes. When time is up let pot sit for 5-10 minutes and then move valve to venting. Remove the lid. 
  6. Stir in the spinach and half of the mozzarella. Sprinkle the remaining mozzarella on top and let it melt (I used my air fryer lid to melt it). 
  7. Serve and enjoy!

PRO TIPS (from the creator)

• Serve with a green salad and garlic bread.
  • I used my 6 quart Instant Pot*. You can also make this in an 8 quart pot. Halve the recipe in a 3 quart pot.

GO BUCKS!

Beat those cheating mofos!

Tailgate Fare Historical Archives

The Official 11W Tailgate Cookbook

This is a forum post from a site member. It does not represent the views of Eleven Warriors unless otherwise noted.

View 28 Comments