Anything Else Forum

Anything Else Forum

Offtopicland. Remember: no politics, religion, or hot-button social issues.

Sanctimonious Sports Media Hacks

+8 HS
Run_Fido_Run's picture
October 14, 2022 at 5:18pm
101 Comments

My pet peeve of the day . . . sanctimonious sports media hacks that can't write or say a few sentences about, say, Urban Meyer or Zach Smith without virtue signaling about how these former coaches are bad people, blah, blah, blah. 

Yet I suspect that precious few sports media hacks are models of virtuous living, themselves. Heck, since I am a degenerate, myself, I would be willing to bet that over 50% of them have done things just as bad, if not worse than, anything Urban Meyer or Zach Smith have done (we can use Keanu Reeves to judge which is which).

The usual media hack excuse for why they're allowed to pass judgment on figures like Urban Meyer and Zach Smith, while maintaining that their own private lives and characters are off limits, is that they are "journalists." Okay, news flash to you gumshoes . . . both Urban Meyer and Zach Smith are now in the "journalism" business.

Seriously, though, 99% of you hacks, along with Urban Meyer and Zach Smith, are in the entertainment business - not journalism. And, again, the entertainment world is filled with horrible people that make Urban Meyer and Zach Smith look like Mother Theresa. 

The other annoying aspect of sports hack sanctimony is that it's misdirected. Among the biggest sins in a professional context - and Urban Meyer and Zach Smith are former professional football coaches - is to violate one's fiduciary (or field-equivalent) responsibilities. A properly functioning media would concentrate on exposing breakdowns in client and/or public trust more than peering into private foibles . . . e.g., financial advisers that steal money from little old ladies, attorneys that railroad their own clients, bureaucrats that sell regulatory favors . . . or maybe college football coaches that get paid $7 million/year and then half ass their recruiting efforts.

Nothing Urban Meyer or Zach Smith did breached any trust with the media or fans. They made mistakes in their personal lives that the media exposed. Then we get to read and listen to sanctimonious media hacks trashing them for their rest of their lives. 

And when some of our fans parrot the same silly sanctimony, I blame the media for that, too . . . because many of these fans aren't capable of independent thought.     

This is a forum post from a site member. It does not represent the views of Eleven Warriors unless otherwise noted.

View 101 Comments