Anything Else Forum

Anything Else Forum

Offtopicland. Remember: no politics, religion, or hot-button social issues.

MiamiBuckeye's Monday Music Medley XXI

+5 HS
MiamiBuckeye's picture
May 8, 2017 at 3:49pm
17 Comments

Ayy. Time for another one.

First up is a song by one of my favorite American metal bands (who are sadly no longer producing music), Agalloch. Agalloch occupies a special place, intersecting between folk metal, black metal, and progressive metal, mixing in different sounds and influences to create a singular product. I think of them as "thinking person's metal" and credit that to the fact that most of the band were English majors. This song comes from their album "Ashes Against the Grain" and showcases the strength of the songwriting with memorable lines like "The God of Man is a failure."

This is "Our Fortress is Burning Pt II, Bloodbirds."

Up next, because we're keeping it somber, is a song from the British indie pop band Hard-Fi. This song, "Move On Now," captures that feeling that just about everyone gets at some point, that they're getting too comfortable with their life and are perhaps giving up on their dreams of seeing the world and experiencing new things in the name of stability.

Now let's shake it up some. If this beat doesn't melt your face off, I owe you a full refund. This cool rap track courtesy of New York's own C-Rayz Walz (a friend of Aesop Rock) features a crisp Reggae-inspired beat that's perfect for C-Rayz Walz's agitated style of rapping. This is "The Essence."

How about some jazz? Let's turn to my good friend Cab Calloway. This song is about the experience of smoking weed. No, really. The manic instrumentation and Calloway's wordless, almost spectral scatting create an air of chaos and asymmetry, produce something like a musical fugue state for the listener. Enjoy. This is "Viper's Drag."

This is a forum post from a site member. It does not represent the views of Eleven Warriors unless otherwise noted.

View 17 Comments