Anything Else Forum

Anything Else Forum

Offtopicland. Remember: no politics, religion, or hot-button social issues.

MiamiBuckeye's Monday Music Medley XX

+9 HS
MiamiBuckeye's picture
May 1, 2017 at 2:56pm
44 Comments

Hey, everyone, time for our 20th (!!) edition of this weekly series.

Up first is a song from my favorite band, Kamelot. This song, My Confession, comes from the first album featuring new vocalist Tommy Karevik. In all honesty, half the time I forget I'm listening to a new vocalist, which is saying something considering how excellent Roy Khan was at his job. Highlight of the video: the broken church unbreaking itself during Youngblood's guitar solo.

This next song is a nice little number from Canadian folk rock duo White Horse. This is "Sweet Disaster." Note how the video takes its cues from the ever-influential opening sequence of the HBO hit True Detective.

Two of my favorite rappers are Aesop Rock and El-P (one half of the amazingly unstoppable duo Run the Jewels), and here's a song that puts the two together, featuring an endlessly chewable beat courtesy of El-P's engineering magic. This is "Gun for the Whole Family"

I have a certain bias when it comes to country and traditional American folk music. I believe it's only really good if it takes its cues from classic blues music and keeps itself misanthropic, essentially jaded, mistrustful of social institutions and organized religion, and populated by unsympathetic protagonists. Think Roger Miller's classic song "Dang Me." So with that in mind, there's a lot I admire in Ramblin Jack Elliott's rendition of "Railroad Bill," a song about a real life outlaw (whose relentless pursuit ended up revealing a lot about racial profiling and police abuse of power). This song features the immortal lines "Railroad Bill, he ain't so bad / whooped his mamma, shot around with his dad."

This is a forum post from a site member. It does not represent the views of Eleven Warriors unless otherwise noted.

View 44 Comments